Author Topic: FEAL coilovers for the GD  (Read 6378 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: FEAL coilovers for the GD
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2015, 12:03:49 pm »
I'll chime in on this since we did a back to back comparo. The stock suspension in a 2015 WRX is rather stiff, can be jarring and can ride rather harshly. It handles well, but it definitely doesn't soak up any bumps. You feel everything. In contrast, the Feals were extremely well damped, they smoothed out the bumps and potholes very well, however they still felt connected and planted, not at all floaty like many cars that have good damping but aren't tuned for handling. You still feel everything, but you don't get that jarring blast back at you when you hit a pothole or imperfection in the road. If you we're looking for something to use exclusively on smooth roads/tracks, I'd think you wouldn't need the extra damping. However, with the state of roads in Alberta, they seem like an excellent balance of damping and road holding.

oh my god.

this post contained actual pertinent information.

???

whats happened to you.  you used to be cool

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2015, 12:12:19 pm »
oh my god.

???

Go uckfay yourself!
Some of my posts are informational, and dare I say, educational. You've just gotta sift through the filth/arrogance/general assay-holery to get to them.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:49 pm »
Go uckfay yourself!
Some of my posts are informational, and dare I say, educational. You've just gotta sift through the filth/arrogance/general assay-holery to get to them.

thanks more like it.

Offline snakeman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: The Matrix
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2015, 01:40:18 pm »
oh my god.

???

I know, I kept reading it over and over looking for some useful dead hooker disposal tips (for my upcoming bachelor party), but there were none :'(.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2015, 01:54:24 pm »
I know, I kept reading it over and over looking for some useful dead hooker disposal tips (for my upcoming bachelor party), but there were none :'(.

I should probably start a thread for that. Extra large tarps - Not just for parking on at winter autocross!
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline rjwoods77

• Baby Faced
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2020, 11:04:03 am »
Hey Folks,

I have a 95 L Coupe with a full 07 STi swap but using an EG33 instead of a EJ257 along with an 01 RS interior swap and rear mounted radiator. I also have every bushing from Turnin Concepts/Kartboy/Whiteline, all mounts from Cusco and rolling on Nokian Z Lines A/S tires. Its a 3000lb car with a 60/40 front to rear weight distribution. I was running Feal 441 coilovers with 7k/5k spring and was really unhappy with how it rode on the rough roads we have here in New York State. They made sense when pounding the hell out of the car through hard corners but everywhere else they just weren't good. It was pretty bouncy and no matter what I did to adjust it the problem persisted. I hunted around the internet looking for some guidance and I came across this post. After discussing what I read here with Feal and Turnin Concepts the consensus was to change to Feal 441 Max Travel cartridges and 6k/4k springs. The extra 20mm of shaft travel, the softer valving and softer springs turned out to be just the right recipe for my car. The suspension actually moves and follows the road really well and is pliable enough to maintain control in odd situations such as turning into a corner from a downhill road and unexpectedly encountering a dip in the road surface that would dangerously upset my car via a hop in the previous setup. Overall I am now very happy with the setup along with the preload independent height adjustment that is crucial to have in a Frankenstein car like mine. I am installing some Vorshlag High Caster Plates in the front and Vorshlag Camber Plates in the rear shortly and am possibly going to play with some stiffer than OEM 07 STi sway bars to tighten up the twisty stuff a little bit more. There is also probably a last 5 or 10 percent of tuning through custom valving or click settings to get the front and rear end to work great with each other on cyclical things like highway expansion joints. So thanks again for the anecdotes on your experiences and I felt like adding my own for anyone that finds this post in the future.

Respectfully,

Rob Woods

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2020, 04:36:08 pm »
Excellent first post. Thanks for the feedback from across the continent.