Author Topic: seriously search?  (Read 1706 times)

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
seriously search?
« on: January 10, 2015, 08:34:44 pm »
Alright from the home page I want to find that thread with all the kijiji posts in it. I cant remember what subforum or topic its in, but I know it has "Official" "found in" and "classifieds" in the title. typety type type type enter and BAM
...exactly zero hits. OK so it turns out its actually up there but it's #4, after 3 dead threads. Is there a way to switch result sorting to "most popular" instead of "newest and least relevant"?
or like use a google php app for in forum searches or something???

What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Re: seriously search?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 07:15:53 pm »
Alright from the home page I want to find that thread with all the kijiji posts in it. I cant remember what subforum or topic its in, but I know it has "Official" "found in" and "classifieds" in the title. typety type type type enter and BAM
...exactly zero hits. OK so it turns out its actually up there but it's #4, after 3 dead threads. Is there a way to switch result sorting to "most popular" instead of "newest and least relevant"?
or like use a google php app for in forum searches or something???

Use the proper search page by clicking the search button.
Don't use that blank field in the top right of the screen of every page. It's stupid, smells funny, and was likely adopted.

Using your exact search words that you stated, the thread that you were looking for showed up right after THIS thread.
"Search Order" gives you more options on this screen.
"Search in topic subjects only" likely would have removed this thread from the results, and the applicable one would be result #1.
Since it's a popular thread, and you know it's popular, you could also add some date parameters to your search.

SMF search isn't great, but it works if you whisper sweet SQL nothings into its ear.