Author Topic: Motoring Related things in Korea & other areas 'close' by  (Read 9149 times)

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
Re: Motoring Related things in Korea
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2015, 08:40:16 pm »
Or need a new bugeye?...
this one is only an inch and a half long.....

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2015, 05:24:22 am »
So a few days ago I headed back to the BMW Driving Academy for the Advanced -Dynamic program.
Lucky for me it was a nice wet day, making the skid pads even better.
2 instructors, 3 students.. that's a good ratio!! (normal is 6 students 1 instructor for the record, I just got lucky)
How things went:

About a half hour of classroom, lots of basics, crossed arm steering technique, driving position, understeer/oversteer, safety ect.

The new BMW's are all nice, i picked the same (well it looked the same) touring wagon that I had before, a 220d sounds pretty boring- right?.. WRONG!! (and the HUD is cool)

Side question, --Im not a BMW guy,  but will an auto 220d in Sport mode usually fire the traction control in first and second gear?.. and with the TC off just spin uncontrolled on damp pavement? (first and second).. it seemed way more powerful than I expected (I had it in the most 'sporty' mode) and the TC was sometimes on and sometimes off. the car did have a little M on the front fenders but no M on the back.

Anyway, first exercise was emergency braking and slalom
with speeds gradually building from 30, 50, 60, and "unlimited"  (in reality it was pretty short run in so unlimited was just floored until you had to stand on the brakes). not sure if all new cars do this but if you stopped hard enough the 4 way flashers came on .. nice feature..
Then we did a bunch of "target braking" where you would pick you brake point and speed and the objective was to emergency stop with your front bumper kissing the cone.. funny enough, my first 2 runs were bang on.. from about 70 kph or so, within 10 cms of the cone ... the next bunch were not as impressive, but it was starting to rain more and some runs, even with the TC on, it was still spinning and "nannying" at the time I had to start braking.. (more standard driving excuses to come)

Next exercise was using the "kick plate", skid pad, and water curtains.
The course is a run in (up to about 80 kph) drive over the "kick plate" which moves the back wheels of the car over about 2 feet (either way) and you are on a water sprayed skid pad...... THEN the water curtain goes up with a lane sized hole in it and you try to get through.... as you get thru that water curtain, you are presented with another water curtain with a lane sized hole in it... BEST GAME EVER!!! the position of the open lanes changes, and Im not sure, but it seemed the operator could adjust the force/speed/throw of the kick plate as well,,, this exercise we spent lots of time on with Dynamic stability /TC on and fully off. I had a distinct advantage here over the other two folks, (both from korea), who were struggling with just countersteering .

Next was a break (as apposed to a brake) then off to the circular skid pad.
Lots of under steer/oversteer practice again on a sprinkled skid pad.. At this point I have to say how totally impressed I am with the stability control on the BMW's... I could (or more correctly the car could) circle the skid pad with my foot planted on the floor at incredible speed and G force, and other than some whirring and uneven throttle noise, was totally uneventful.  There was NO WAY I could get close to the same speed with the stability off, usually ending in a 2 or 3 loop spin..
Drifting with the tc off was pretty good, im glad it was not my tires taking the punishment, but I have to admit I did not complete a full big circle in a drift... it's WAY easier on ice in a standard than on wet pavement with an auto (even if you didnt buy the tires).

Next was track time, TC on mandatory, (while we were on break one of the other groups stuffed a car so that calmed every body down a notch)

This was a follow the instructor exercise, using the full track, and even though it was a follow exercise, frequently my foot was planted on the floor looking to maintain the gap .. (I did hear "please close the gap Mr Joe" only twice)  (in true driver excuse mode--he wanted me closer than I was comfy, Im just not calibrated for track following  gaps)
even on the damp track there was some tail wagging and tire howling.. all the apexes were marked with cones and the instructor did a great job "showing" every one the right way.. the students took turns following the instructor, with the others trailing close behind -- I wonder how many laps the instructors do a week?...

Anyway that was it, over three hours of driving... I was actually a little tired (brain and shoulders)  & gained small bruise on my left leg from bracing against the door.(HEY BMW that door design needs work :))

now just sign up for the next one!!...  that's an all day thing... with more intensive training..  perfect!!

go down a couple posts for pics

DaDuke99

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2015, 11:29:58 am »
This 'kick plate' exercise sounds like a blast! Everything else as well, but that sounds like trying to play tetris with a car!

Offline Vtec1

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2012
  • Ride: 18' GLE400
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2015, 01:44:09 pm »
Any Pics?

How much was this lesson cost you? Any cool BMW accessories they included ?  ::)
Money In the Bank, Pimpin' Ain't Easy.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:10 pm »
I only took a couple pics this time, but it was not  a great photo day and photoing and driving don't go well as a solo activity. I'll look at what I took and post any that are ok. I put a few photos of the facility in post 1 of this thread.
The only swag they give is a certificate and photo, and of course your badge/pass. There is a bmw and mini goodie shop with anything bmw/mini you can think of. Again pics in post one. Cost for this was 120,000.

Ok 120,000 KOREAN WON which is about 130 CDN.  I think I got about 50 bucks at least worth of tires and brakes.

Ok, a few pics turned out passable:

First my ride, and you can just make out the sprayers soaking the skid pad in the background:

Here is a pic of the kick plate (drive between the two yellow boxes), you can see the lines where the two water curtains emerge from.. that entire shiny area is sprayed skid pad ---------in the distance you can see a car on the circular skid pad

a bit closer of the skid pad

And some random pics around the facility:

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2015, 08:50:57 pm »
had lunch out at my favorite place the other day... there was a class going on, here is a snap of the kick plate/skid pad/water curtain in action....

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 08:55:30 pm »
Everytime I see one one of these, in this colour.. I think Mini bugeye...

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 10:00:02 pm »
really. ? an Abarth edition Daewoo?.... I thought Abarth was a weird Fiat thing?....

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 04:33:17 am »
 I did the motorcycle track thing here in Korea a month or so ago, so now, today,  Im feeling the need to see something vehicle related that is interesting, other than warp 2 Mercedes passing me on the freeway or trucks impossibly overloaded. I stop in at the BMW Driving Center, just to wander around some nice cars and chill for a few minutes...
Not knowing anything about BMW cars really... I see this... HEY that looks cool

Front looks neat... Hey does not Bmw call that little electric car an i something...? oh no..... they did'nt

ohh  the humanity (in reference to another German disaster)

Jerks.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2016, 07:40:22 pm »
And what is this for ? security??.. but I've only seen it on rear wheels... usually nicer cars,  but not what I'd consider "wheels a thief would want"...

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2016, 12:01:09 am »
That's a land mine which the driver can jettison to dissuade tails. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »
finally remembered to post of pic of typical truck tinting in Korea... and this one has less tint than many...

Offline cha0tik

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '22 Venza | '03 S2K
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »
^ Wow! How is that even legal over there?
My 2016 Subaru WRX

Fly high, dive deep.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2016, 02:56:40 am »
I duuno if there are any tinting rules.  Most cars you cannot see into at all from the sides and most have some level of tint on the windshields.
Lighting rules seem non existant as well . Flashing clearance lights? Go ahead
white lights at the back of your truck all the time? Yep
want a spot light down the side of your truck? Seems ok
police cars drive with thier disco lights on all the time? Indeed!
Flashing red and blue lights on your 150 cc delivery bike? Sure..makes running the lights and driving on the sidewalks safer.
All these and many more.... all the time.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 08:34:38 pm »
Not exactly motoring related, but it is transportation related. Decided I needed to get out a little more in my limited spare time in Korea.
I brought over one of my bicycles to expand my circle of exploration without having to drive or take the subway.
I built this one up a couple years ago.
NOS 1984? Schwinn Pelaton Columbus frame, Sram 5 speed internal hub coaster brake, 105 crank & front brake, eggbeater candy pedals,  carbon fork. kinda fun. And better than watching Korean soap operas on the treadmill. :)

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »
Tire pressure warning light came on in my "awesome" k-5 Kia yesterday.
So... I  stop in a little 2 bay tire shop off a rural road to get some air... well my lack of korean and his lack of english ended up with the car on the hoist instead of just chucking some air in.. good thing too.........
he pulls not one, not two not three but FOUR bits of random metal bits out of my rear tyres.. does a plug job on the holes...

I think the fronts are bald enough they have stopped picking up debris.. (yes you can turn the TC off) :)...

5 minutes and 5000 Won later Im back on the road.. (about 5 bucks). gotta love that pricing!!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2016, 03:04:08 am »
so Subaru Spotting in Korea Sucks, literally 2 in a year and a half. But today I had to go over to Hong Kong and Shenzen China,, and within an hour in Shenzen ..FORESTER! game on!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2016, 03:14:16 am »
and while im here in China, here's some things; maybe new to some or not...
what is behind you really does not matter:

This REALLY looked like a shrunken forester:

I dont follow the Honda line up, but I dont think we get this one in Canada:

Some lights here have a handy countdown timer.. both to red and to green!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2016, 03:29:25 am »
Ok  still in China.. when was the last time you were behind a SKODA?

And unless you have been hanging out in France, a couple of Citreons side by side?

Or saw a person on a motorbike..thing, in traffic, with an umbrella?

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2016, 03:46:28 am »
While I've got things set up for pics here a couple more from a few days ago in Korea..
if I get killed here, it will be from something falling off a truck...
here is a nice one...
Exactly two cotton type ropes.. tied to the tailgate and the headache rack holding this entire load of wood on this overloaded truck...  we followed him up onto the highway.... (from a distance)
Also note, that while he was REALLY overloaded, he had the last set of duals lifted off the road (I assume these work like the "trailing axle" my uncle had on his big straight truck- you could push them down with air for extra stability when loaded, and lift them for easier turning when unloaded)
AND to clarify, I was in a suppliers car with the Hippo airfreshner, NOT mine :)...

This guy figured one chain is more than enough!

Never , never ever pass anything on the outside of a corner...

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:42 am »
This REALLY looked like a shrunken forester:

Lol shrunken?! The 04/05 guys don't think they're shrunken :P Looks properly sized to me.. What actually is it though?
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2016, 02:09:47 pm »
That's not a hippo, that's a Moomin!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
Lol shrunken?! The 04/05 guys don't think they're shrunken :P Looks properly sized to me.. What actually is it though?

well it's a  YEMAAUTO.... F12. it's hard to see the scale of the thing.. but think the same size as early early RAV 4... im guessing those are 14 inch wheels on it..
here a higher res crop:

And a moomin?... cross between Casper the friendly ghost and a hippo?..that enjoys picnics in trees?.. :)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2016, 04:24:30 pm »
Very cool thread, the BMW center looks super cool!
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

DaDuke99

« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2016, 05:14:41 pm »
That rigging hurts my brain  :o