Author Topic: SF Forester horn stopped working but it still honks?  (Read 2249 times)

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2008 Forester XT and 2014 Forester
SF Forester horn stopped working but it still honks?
« on: February 03, 2015, 10:11:20 am »
So I had my CV axle shaft replaced a few weeks ago. My trustee mechanic mentioned that one of the bolts were seized so he added some grease to help it along. CV axle install completed with no issues however, I started to get a strong grease smell from inside the cabin and outside of the car? I checked under the car and didn't see any leaks. I checked with (my friend) the mechanic and he mentioned that there could be some grease left in the sub frame from the old shaft and suggested to hit it with the pressure wash. I did that and sprayed the wheel well and underside yesterday. Left the car wash and noticed that the smell decreased (I get a hint of it every now and then but seemed to get rid of the “strong” grease smell I was getting). Then this morning I went to use my horn and it doesn’t work? Now, because I was on my way to work, I wasn’t able to have a look but when I parked the car and started walking into work, I remembered that my compustar remote activates the horn when you press the lock button twice and go figure the horn works off the remote?! What the heck?!

So my question is what should I be trouble shooting when I get off work to see why the horn works with the remote but not when I push on horn while inside the car? Could it be the relay? I’ll check the fuse but it still doesn’t explain why the horn works off the remote and not from the steering wheel?

Note: There are not check engine lights or ABS lights on right now.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: SF Forester horn stopped working but it still honks?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 10:12:57 am »
Sounds like your clockspring is toast, if the horn chirps from the alarm, but not your wheel.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 10:17:21 am »
Sounds like your clockspring is toast, if the horn chirps from the alarm, but not your wheel.

I'm gonna have to take the steering wheel off for that, aren't I......? Dam it, airbags scare the crap out of me. Who's done this before?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 10:21:17 am »
I'm gonna have to take the steering wheel off for that, aren't I......? Dam it, airbags scare the crap out of me.

Very likely, yes. Just make sure the battery is disconnected, and the system is drained, by pressing on the brakes for 10+ seconds after disconnection. Should be fine.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 10:26:22 am »
Very likely, yes. Just make sure the battery is disconnected, and the system is drained, by pressing on the brakes for 10+ seconds after disconnection. Should be fine.

Okay, stupid question but doesn't the clock spring normally cause the ABS light to come on when it fails?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:28:34 am »
Okay, stupid question but doesn't the clock spring normally cause the ABS light to come on when it fails?

Not that I'm aware of. The airbag light maybe, depending on what part of the clockspring failed, but ABS doesn't have anything to do with the clockspring on an SF forester.

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 10:30:53 am »
Not that I'm aware of. The airbag light maybe, depending on what part of the clockspring failed, but ABS doesn't have anything to do with the clockspring on an SF forester.

Sorry I meant the airbag not the ABS...

Offline mojikita

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 10:50:35 am »
Check to see if your cruise control doesn't work also. If that's the case, it points to clockspring.

It's not hard to do. Just a bit unnerving with the airbag. As mentioned, it should be fine if you disconnect the battery and press the brakes for a bit.

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 10:58:12 am »
Check to see if your cruise control doesn't work also. If that's the case, it points to clockspring.

It's not hard to do. Just a bit unnerving with the airbag. As mentioned, it should be fine if you disconnect the battery and press the brakes for a bit.

Good point. What if the cruise control is still intact? Does that change anything?

Okay so without checking the car yet it sounds like its the clock spring according to our experts on here ;) you guys are awesome btw.
This leads me to my next question, could spraying down the axle shaft be the cause of this or was it just a coincidence the horn failed the day after I sprayed it?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:20:39 am »
Good point. What if the cruise control is still intact? Does that change anything?

Okay so without checking the car yet it sounds like its the clock spring according to our experts on here ;) you guys are awesome btw.
This leads me to my next question, could spraying down the axle shaft be the cause of this or was it just a coincidence the horn failed the day after I sprayed it?

Coincidence. The wiring for the horn is in front of the rad, up to the relays, so it's fairly exposed to the elements regardless. A car wash wouldn't really damage that, unless it was already worn away from friction, and ready to let go. The fact that the alarm can still chirp it, tells me the relay and wiring to the horn itself are still in tact, unless your alarm uses an a/m separate horn.