Author Topic: 2013 STI - Deck Recommendations?  (Read 6447 times)

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
2013 STI - Deck Recommendations?
« on: February 10, 2015, 08:00:02 am »
Hey guys,

Does anybody know what the module part/ reference number is for Sirius satellite? 2013 Subaru STI *NON* Sport tech stock head unit. It has Satellite option, but missing the module plug-in at the back! (Sport tech comes with it only.)

Leaning towards the cleaner hidden look with incorporating it into the OEM H/U which I quite like. But, if it's $400+ for this module I'd just go a different route.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: 2013 STI Sirius Satellite Module P/N?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:03:13 am »
Isn't the module just the satellite antenna? If so its only like $40.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:14:52 am »
Isn't the module just the satellite antenna? If so its only like $40.

When I press the "sat" Button it does absolutely nothing. I think I need the module with the Sirius ID in it so that I can register and select my Sirius account plan (for monthly payments.)

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 09:08:45 am »
Clarion-EF-1327A

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 09:15:56 am »
Do you have the stock radio that looks like this:

??

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:31:28 am »
Yup ^^^ Sat button on the bottom left don't work!

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 11:28:12 am »
Yup ^^^ Sat button on the bottom left don't work!

My best advice is to upgrade to a proper headunit. The difference in sound quality is amazing. You don't even need to upgrade your speakers. And I'm sure you can get a head unit with built in Sirius satellite receiver.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:37:01 am »
Hmm... How easy is the swap on the 13'? I haven't tried to remove the trim yet. The GC I had to undo 4 bolts. I can't find or see any bolts on this!

Maybe I should upgrade.... I like the red color look and dimmable controls

Offline RhinestoneChow

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: WRX STI
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 11:43:33 am »
Aftermarket stereos will still require a tuner. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_91789_SiriusXM-SXV300v1.html

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 09:53:41 am »
Does anybody know if the USB + Aux ports in the middle arm-rest still work with aftermarket units, or no?

I also know the controls on the steering wheel may not work with an aftermarket deck.. I believe they can be re-programmed however, anybody have any experience with this?

Part of me wants to just spend the money on upgrading to a better deck for sound quality, and the sirius ready capabilities so I can just plug a universal sirius antenna in the back. I don't use the aux, I use bluetooth - but the USB is good incase I ever need to charge my phone. I guess alternatively I could use a 12V USB adapter in the middle outlet...

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 12:21:49 pm »
Does anybody know if the USB + Aux ports in the middle arm-rest still work with aftermarket units, or no?

I also know the controls on the steering wheel may not work with an aftermarket deck.. I believe they can be re-programmed however, anybody have any experience with this?

Part of me wants to just spend the money on upgrading to a better deck for sound quality, and the sirius ready capabilities so I can just plug a universal sirius antenna in the back. I don't use the aux, I use bluetooth - but the USB is good incase I ever need to charge my phone. I guess alternatively I could use a 12V USB adapter in the middle outlet...

No the USB port in the centre console will not work. It has a proprietary connection on it. It pops out though so you can run the USB from the new deck in there or to the glove box.

I have a module that has retained my steering wheel controls. The only thing it can't do is answer the phone but you can program the phone buttons to do other things such as mute. The module I have is a PAC SWI-JACK which stands for steering wheel interface JVC, Alpine, Clarion, Kenwood. As you may guess, the part number depends on the brand of head unit you go for.

Offline RhinestoneChow

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: WRX STI
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 12:24:53 pm »
The USB ports will not be compatible on an aftermarket unit. You will need the PAC steering wheel control or similar to work as well.

DaDuke99

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 12:26:53 pm »
I've also got to look into this stuff for when my pioneer single din unit goes in. Do you have someone in mind for your installation Spencer? I have a friend from Poland who had a shop there doing mine,  I can see if he can help you out if you want

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:51:39 pm »
I've also got to look into this stuff for when my pioneer single din unit goes in. Do you have someone in mind for your installation Spencer? I have a friend from Poland who had a shop there doing mine,  I can see if he can help you out if you want

Stereo install is like.. 1 plug and 4 screws haha :p I will do it in my garage, I'll help you when the time comes if you want. Easiest install there is IMO.

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 02:41:46 pm »
Stereo install is like.. 1 plug and 4 screws haha :p I will do it in my garage, I'll help you when the time comes if you want. Easiest install there is IMO.

...and a wiring harness + steering wheel interface install... some soldering or resistors required. I did it myslef and it definitely wasn't that easy but it's possible.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 02:52:08 pm »
...and a wiring harness + steering wheel interface install... some soldering or resistors required. I did it myslef and it definitely wasn't that easy but it's possible.

You need resistors for what!? The harness is as simple as matching the diagram up, soldering, and heat-shrinking!

Steering wheel interface, needs some modification?? The Swi-Jack doesn't just connect? I'm seeing some on IWSTI where they just needed to re-configure the steering wheel.. nobody I can see however managed to get the steering wheel controls for hands-free calling to work. I guess the new deck has a built in phone interface, which is why you would need to hook-up and place the new external mic. Meh...

What resistors need to go in though? For the Swi-Jack?? Seems tedious if this is the case haha.

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »
You need resistors for what!? The harness is as simple as matching the diagram up, soldering, and heat-shrinking!

Steering wheel interface, needs some modification?? The Swi-Jack doesn't just connect? I'm seeing some on IWSTI where they just needed to re-configure the steering wheel.. nobody I can see however managed to get the steering wheel controls for hands-free calling to work. I guess the new deck has a built in phone interface, which is why you would need to hook-up and place the new external mic. Meh...

What resistors need to go in though? For the Swi-Jack?? Seems tedious if this is the case haha.

Lol there's only one resistor required with the SWI-JACK. I'm just trying to make it sound more complicated.  :P

DaDuke99

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 03:48:44 pm »
Hey,  I'm just dumb. Would rather let someone who knows what they're doing do it (for free!)   8)

Offline Hound

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 DGM BMW wannabe.
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2015, 11:43:37 am »
Hmm... How easy is the swap on the 13'? I haven't tried to remove the trim yet. The GC I had to undo 4 bolts. I can't find or see any bolts on this!

It's pretty easy to remove.  The bezel/surround is just clipped in and then the headunit is 4 screws after that.

Offline silverUURX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 13 Sti' Hatch
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2015, 09:25:29 am »
deck is an easy install for sure. someone here can help I'm sure. I did my own as well. You for sure will want the SWI (~$100)and depending on the after market deck you go with you will most likely need a video/park brake by-pass. its another $80 from the guys at visions in the NE Calgary. Also a dash kit ~$40. Soldering is for hardcore stereo enthusiasts. I love my stereo but butt connects and a little electrical tape works fine to hold stuff in place. Programming the SWI was the trickiest part for sure. You can spend as much or as little as you want on a deck but I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I have an alpine w530i and i love it.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/product/view/ive-w530

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
Re: 2013 STI - Deck Recommendations?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2015, 11:17:22 am »
Alright, was deciding between a (used) 9500ix versus a new car deck and the car deck has won haha..
Can anybody give me some suggestions for a new deck? I'd like bluetooth, rear USB (to wire in through the middle), sirius XM ready, etc.

Initially looking at this guy: http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=71&productId=23424&sku=KWV30BT

Then saw these, but don't know if I'll be able to find them..
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/pioneer-pioneer-usb-dvd-bluetooth-car-deck-with-7-touchscreen-ipod-iphone-control-mixtrax-avh-x4500bt-avh-x4500bt/10243471.aspx?path=d9e0ec1b387bf947591d6cf78dbc599cen02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/kenwood-kenwood-usb-dvd-bluetooth-car-deck-with-6-95-touchscreen-ipod-iphone-control-ddx770-ddx770/10236990.aspx?path=c9a42d92d9fbf67ec3e906abfac707d5en02

If anyone has any other suggestions I would really appreciate it!! :)
Also, anyone have a link for installing the steering wheel interface?

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2015, 11:27:02 am »
I've had both the 4500bt and now the 5600bt...get the 5600 if you can.  It's much faster than the 4500 and if you have as much music as I do it makes a huge difference.  I'm located very close to you so if you want to meet up and play around on the deck you're more than welcome to.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2015, 11:31:52 am »
5600: http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/category/Details.aspx?categoryId=70&productId=24089&sku=AVHX5600BHS

Ehhh a lil pricy haha but I should just save for a bit and get it.   PD, do you have the steering wheel controls? That's the only part of the install that I'm unsure about. Would Futureshop or Visions carry the necessary adapters to correctly install this so it works?

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2015, 11:39:12 am »

If you are going for after-market... this guy have everything that you need to keep USB - aux in armrest, steering wheel commands ets...
http://ae64.com/

I bought Pioneer for mine STI, so I can mirror screen of my android... I'm not sure why you need Satellite radio... You can use Internet radio if you have Internet in area that you drive.
Better use monthly payments for satellite radio to pay your phone bill...  ;D This is how I see it...

EDIT: Touch screen works on main screen... You need to have unlocked android phone with app ARUnchained + ARUnchained GSP (this is good as is using GPS from pioneer that is on the dash, getting coordinates over BT)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 11:40:37 am »
I have had two Pioneer decks (AVH X5700BHS and AVH X8500BHS) and both are fantastic! Great compatibility for iPhones (unsure of other phones), all the features you can imagine besides NAV which you can add on if you like. Mind you I have never had steering wheel controls so I can't comment on that.