Author Topic: 2015 Biking Thread  (Read 18908 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Re: 2015 Biking Thread
« Reply #50 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:55 pm »

coop - few DH brakes on the market match or beat the Saints (m810s and m820s) for power or fade. I run Formula the Ones, and have zero fade (and monster stopping power), but few shops carry Formula parts. if you have any issues while riding, you're pretty much hooped unless you're in Whistler.
there's a good chance that I'll be switching to the new Saints for this season. they seem to match my Ones for stopping power, and every shop in Canada has parts for Saints.

I think they're 08's, the first run. They're good, I kinda think the tool who bled them for me at COP did a itshay job to be honest. He said it was his first time bleeding a Shimano. If I keep my bike, I really need a better chain guide though, my chain falls off assay the time. It doesn't have the mounting location though so my options are limited I think (07 Stinky). I also need a new spring or my rear shock adjusted, I can bottom it out and was only like 150lbs last summer. I think a proper bleed, new spring and chain guide would be enough to keep it for the season. I'ts a great bike, although nowhere near as nice (or expensive lol) as most of yours.

I've always loved the Demo though. Kinda want one. A BottleRocket is tempting too, so damn expensive :(

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2015, 07:12:23 pm »
I think they're 08's, the first run. They're good, I kinda think the tool who bled them for me at COP did a itshay job to be honest. He said it was his first time bleeding a Shimano. If I keep my bike, I really need a better chain guide though, my chain falls off assay the time. It doesn't have the mounting location though so my options are limited I think (07 Stinky). I also need a new spring or my rear shock adjusted, I can bottom it out and was only like 150lbs last summer. I think a proper bleed, new spring and chain guide would be enough to keep it for the season. I'ts a great bike, although nowhere near as nice (or expensive lol) as most of yours.

I've always loved the Demo though. Kinda want one. A BottleRocket is tempting too, so damn expensive :(

The M810 Saint brakes developed issues over time that the seal into the lever would actually start to leak causing the brake to flush out fluid and suck in air. Not to discount maybe inexperience perhaps of the mechanic but its pretty hard to screw up a Shimano brake bleed. BottleRockets are pretty fun bikes, I had one for about 1.5 yrs and as wicked for places like Fernie, Silverstar and whistler

coop - few DH brakes on the market match or beat the Saints (m810s and m820s) for power or fade. I run Formula the Ones, and have zero fade (and monster stopping power), but few shops carry Formula parts. if you have any issues while riding, you're pretty much hooped unless you're in Whistler.
there's a good chance that I'll be switching to the new Saints for this season. they seem to match my Ones for stopping power, and every shop in Canada has parts for Saints.

Love the Formula Brakes. I have found that issue comes from if the shop or home mechanic doesn't use the appropriate fluids if there is any contamination into the system it causes the seals in the lever expand and make the brake useless. Formula had an office on BC but it was shutdown last year as it didn't pick up in the Canadian market larger distributors like Norco IE live to play sports are assisting with any sort of work with the brakes as they are stock equipment on their bikes. That being said i just have been riding Shimano just for the reason it is everywhere. 

Offline Gonzo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 97 wrx sti
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 12:44:25 am »
I plan to get out lots this summer. There's supposed to be some trails built east of my hometown by this spring/summer. I really want to hit up coastal gravity and check out the new elk falls trails in C.R.  My work's on the highways to Cadomin, so shop days I want to get off early and go for a burn to cadomin. I also have a bit of the logistics down, just indecisive if i should go to Iceland for 20 days I've been planning a trip for a while ow and going to bag up my bike if I go haha.

Not crazy dh but a bit, lots of xc and am planned

My new baby i just bought, now to get it attached to my gc8

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 07:20:16 am »
Knice Knolly.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Gonzo

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 97 wrx sti
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 10:04:36 am »
Thank you! I figured that this 27.5 would be more than a fad so I'll play it out. I'm going to be picking up a podium come fall/winter, love knolly's. 26" for the dh and 27.5 for going up haha

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2015, 01:39:46 pm »
The M810 Saint brakes developed issues over time that the seal into the lever would actually start to leak causing the brake to flush out fluid and suck in air. Not to discount maybe inexperience perhaps of the mechanic but its pretty hard to screw up a Shimano brake bleed. BottleRockets are pretty fun bikes, I had one for about 1.5 yrs and as wicked for places like Fernie, Silverstar and whistler

My bike sits in the kitchen year round (don’t trust condo lock up, and no room in the storage locker), and over winter I notice oil drips onto the floor. Although this usually happens at the back tire, so I’d guess there’s a very small leak somewhere in the back calliper. Likely where my issue is coming from.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2015, 07:08:02 pm »
I also read somewhere that Fox TALAS forks needed to be stored crown down/stanchions up..  'cos all the oil leaked out of mine a few winters ago...  stupid Fox.. if you have oil leaking out the fronts and you have a Fox.. well there you go.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »
I also read somewhere that Fox TALAS forks needed to be stored crown down/stanchions up..  'cos all the oil leaked out of mine a few winters ago...  stupid Fox.. if you have oil leaking out the fronts and you have a Fox.. well there you go.

That would suck. Nope, I got 66's (love em) with a Rocco World Cup on the rear, need a different spring though. Actually now that I think of it, I think I had my bike upside down when the oil leaked....

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 01:34:47 pm »
[/quote

Depending on your talas (if its open bath or not ) might require work but more likely the oil has drained out of the inner cartridge and you get a large air bubble trapped in the dampener. Most of the time you can just cycle the fork up and down to suck oil in the dampener and things like lock out will start to work again.

Ideally most forks you have want to hang your bike fork side down to not have any oil sitting on the seals and dripping by the seal. Fox is prone to the issue because on the newer forks  they have gone to a non open bath fork, there is roughly 30- 50 cc of oil just for lubrication which can disappear quickly if you blow a seal and or have oil constantly sitting on the seal trying to force it self by by gravity.

Rule is if you blow a seal you get it fixed to avoid ^^^. Fox 40's you can replace individual stanchions but forks like the 32,34 and 36 you replace the whole crown and steer tube as well 

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2015, 08:09:06 am »
yup, have seen tons of Fox forks with stanchions like that. when I bought my Fox 40, the guys at the LBS said the same thing - if it starts leaking, get the seals fixed immediately.
luckily, every LBS in western Canada will likely have seals in stock.

Coop - it's easy to mount a chainguide to your bike, e13 makes a bottom-bracket mounted plate that allows you to bolt a guide onto almost any bike. I have one on my Bullit. as for your brakes, I wouldn't let anyone at COP even wash my bikes, you would be far better off getting your bike serviced at a true LBS like Bow, CC, the Bike Shop etc. for your rear spring, the correct spring rate should give you 25-30% rear sag for DH (give or take). several good spring rate calculators online that you can use to figure out which one is correct for your weight.

on a side note, just ordered a Banshee Darkside frame! stealth black w/ Cane Creek DBair.
I just need some restraint now, because carbon wheels and a new front fork (380ti) are tempting the itshay out of me...
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:37 am »
on a side note, just ordered a Banshee Darkside frame! stealth black w/ Cane Creek DBair.
I just need some restraint now, because carbon wheels and a new front fork (380ti) are tempting the itshay out of me...

That will be one sweet Rig!!!!  Im on the fence with Carbon DH wheels but enough folks are on them. That being said i usually have a spare wheel set any big trip road trip i do

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2015, 08:48:34 pm »

Coop - it's easy to mount a chainguide to your bike, e13 makes a bottom-bracket mounted plate that allows you to bolt a guide onto almost any bike. I have one on my Bullit. as for your brakes, I wouldn't let anyone at COP even wash my bikes, you would be far better off getting your bike serviced at a true LBS like Bow, CC, the Bike Shop etc. for your rear spring, the correct spring rate should give you 25-30% rear sag for DH (give or take). several good spring rate calculators online that you can use to figure out which one is correct for your weight.

Hmmm, thanks I'll look into the e13 bottom bracket one. I have a sweet white e13 bash guard I had to take off to put my current chain guide on, maybe I can put it back on. As for letting COP work on my bike, I didn't want to but just worked out that way. Although thinking about it now, I actually had the LBS in Millrise behind my condo do it hoping the first guy had no clue what he was doing. Maybe it's a gasket or something, my fronts have tons of power, it's just the rears.

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2015, 08:24:55 am »
MRP also makes a guide mount that clamps between the drive side bottom bracket cup and the bottom bracket.
you have options, just make sure you buy a mount with the correct bolt config for your chainguide. ISCG and ISCG 05 are different, one won't work on the other.

I don't consider every shop equal and, after using half a dozen of them in the city, only two will ever get my money - Ridley's (Kensington) and Calgary Cycle. Ridley's doesn't really do DH stuff, but the people there are great. Calgary Cycle gets all my business for DH. great guys, and they will back their work without question.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

DaDuke99

« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2015, 11:00:33 am »
Have you guys gone to Pedalhead on Mcleod? I know they've got a vendor account on WSC, I've gone to them the past couple years. Just basic tunes and part installs (Saint brake kit, rims etc)
They've been pretty good to my and my buds, most shops I've gone to charge a lot more. They have yet to charge me labour for anything...

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2015, 11:17:23 am »
I'm also riding an old-assay '95 Kona Kiluaea..  mostly for commuting but also to tow the kiddy trailer.

Is it worth having disc bosses welded on the rear end, or should I continue to run my XT V-Brakes?  Any idea how much it'll cost?

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2015, 11:31:23 am »
Have you guys gone to Pedalhead on Mcleod? I know they've got a vendor account on WSC, I've gone to them the past couple years. Just basic tunes and part installs (Saint brake kit, rims etc)
They've been pretty good to my and my buds, most shops I've gone to charge a lot more. They have yet to charge me labour for anything...

Glad you had a good experience there.

As a former Employee (Store Manager, Running another shop now)

The shop always tried to be fair with labor ( i have seen bills from other shops and nearly hit the floor people pay it ) . If the parts new but online we charge reg labor but if you buy the part from Pedalhead we install it for free, or if you are getting a tuneup and have parts to install we will likely only add a couple bucks for the extra time spent.   

I think the biggest thing with any shop is how they stand by their work. Majority of parts now are being purchased online and brought in to be installed so the shop with the best customer service will always win out vs the shop pissed off you bought something some where else.

Just my 2 cents

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2015, 11:37:21 am »
I'm also riding an old-assay '95 Kona Kiluaea..  mostly for commuting but also to tow the kiddy trailer.

Is it worth having disc bosses welded on the rear end, or should I continue to run my XT V-Brakes?  Any idea how much it'll cost?

First off wicked bike, love the color schemes of the old Kona's

Its Crazy now to consider what  a $500 dollar bike can get you. Hydraulic disc brake, lock out forks, and rapid fire shifting. 

Its tough putting money into older bike especially when talking about adding disc brakes. Brakes alone are about $100 an end give or take plus you would have to buy wheels if you didn't already that can mount rotors which is cheapest $75 each cheapest according to my book in front of me, plus a fork with disc brake tabs.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2015, 12:58:37 pm »
Thanks.. it's gonna get real expensive then.  No point.

Do you know where I can find an equivalent period P2 rigid fork for it?  Preferably with the original C-A measurement which I *think* was 420mm.  I have a Manitou Minute Expert 80mm suspension fork on it with both V-brake and disc tabs.. but seeing that it's a light duty bike I don't mind getting an original P2 fork for it.  I've been watching Retrobike and Ebay but that uncut steerer tube fork is elusive.  Mine's a large (21.5" frame size) and every fork I've seen out there has had its steerer cut.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2015, 01:14:34 pm »
Thanks.. it's gonna get real expensive then.  No point.

Do you know where I can find an equivalent period P2 rigid fork for it?  Preferably with the original C-A measurement which I *think* was 420mm.  I have a Manitou Minute Expert 80mm suspension fork on it with both V-brake and disc tabs.. but seeing that it's a light duty bike I don't mind getting an original P2 fork for it.  I've been watching Retrobike and Ebay but that uncut steerer tube fork is elusive.  Mine's a large (21.5" frame size) and every fork I've seen out there has had its steerer cut.

You can more than likely find a rigid fork for it for around $50 - $100 at any of your local shops. There's a couple pages in the Live to Play catalogue or Cycles lambert catalogue that either Pedalhead Edmonton and or Red Bike or whatever your favorite is can order for you if they are in stock. 

Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Project-2-Forks-more-pictures-added-/181691747325

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2015, 01:37:59 pm »
I think the biggest thing with any shop is how they stand by their work. Majority of parts now are being purchased online and brought in to be installed so the shop with the best customer service will always win out vs the shop pissed off you bought something some where else.

Just my 2 cents

^^ this
x infinity

it's the sole reason why I went from being a Bow Cycle bro, drinking the Bow koolbro-aid, to never spending another penny there again.
Calgary Cycle has treated me like family since the first time I stepped into their shop (which happened to be with a DH fork that Bow had stripped the bottom out during a rebuild, but tried to deny and refused to fix). Ridley's was fantastic when I last used them a few years ago, but no idea if the same service manager is still there.

if you find a good shop, keep using them.

Albert Einstein

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2015, 12:07:13 am »
You can more than likely find a rigid fork for it for around $50 - $100 at any of your local shops. There's a couple pages in the Live to Play catalogue or Cycles lambert catalogue that either Pedalhead Edmonton and or Red Bike or whatever your favorite is can order for you if they are in stock. 

Or
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kona-Project-2-Forks-more-pictures-added-/181691747325

Yeah, thanks.  I went out to measure my steerer length, I need about 24cm steerer.  :P  Hard to find one out there with that measurement... so it's basically new old stock I'm waiting to pop up.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2015, 09:24:02 pm »
MRP also makes a guide mount that clamps between the drive side bottom bracket cup and the bottom bracket.
you have options, just make sure you buy a mount with the correct bolt config for your chainguide. ISCG and ISCG 05 are different, one won't work on the other.

I don't consider every shop equal and, after using half a dozen of them in the city, only two will ever get my money - Ridley's (Kensington) and Calgary Cycle. Ridley's doesn't really do DH stuff, but the people there are great. Calgary Cycle gets all my business for DH. great guys, and they will back their work without question.

Thanks, sounds like I've got a bit of research to do. Once I get my s2000 ready for the summer I'll focus on the bike/way to transport it.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2015, 01:56:57 am »
Thanks, sounds like I've got a bit of research to do. Once I get my s2000 ready for the summer I'll focus on the bike/way to transport it.

That is exactly what my stance towards a bike is this season. Get the car all fixed and ready to go, and then focus on a bike.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2015, 11:01:40 pm »
That is exactly what my stance towards a bike is this season. Get the car all fixed and ready to go, and then focus on a bike.
Yup the car is more important, and way more expensive lol.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2015, 11:50:21 pm »
Yup the car is more important, and way more expensive lol.

I kind of also want to build a new PC and get my gaming set up going in full swing as well.... Sooooo maybe the bike may not even happen lol.