Author Topic: Questions regarding installing subs to my stock head unit  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
Questions regarding installing subs to my stock head unit
« on: February 23, 2015, 03:39:40 pm »
I have a sub woofer and an amplifier from my old car just sitting in my basement collecting dust, is there any way i can hook them up to my stock Head unit ? i have a 09 stock navigation unit that looks like this, it doesn't have a branding on it and i haven't taken it out to see if there is an input for a sub. Maybe someone has on here

it has a function for a sub woofer "on & "off" in the options menu but i definitely don't have one in my car
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
Re: Questions regarding installing subs to my stock head unit
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:52:54 pm »
The nav unit in the sportech is made by Kenwood and you already know it is a DVD based system.  I am not sure of the options available on that head unit for pre-outs but you can always just get a sound processor such as the Alpine PXA-H800 and then it will allow you to hook up subs, and other items as well depending on the unit.

Although for what you would pay for a signal processor I would just get a new navigation head unit from Kenwood/Pioneer or others and everything will be built in for you.  If you were in a car with an integrated dash then the sound processor makes sense, but not in this case.  All you need is a new  trim frame around your stereo as the stock one is not standard double din size like the 2010 onward. 

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:57:44 pm »
The nav unit in the sportech is made by Kenwood and you already know it is a DVD based system.  I am not sure of the options available on that head unit for pre-outs but you can always just get a sound processor such as the Alpine PXA-H800 and then it will allow you to hook up subs, and other items as well depending on the unit.

Although for what you would pay for a signal processor I would just get a new navigation head unit from Kenwood/Pioneer or others and everything will be built in for you.  If you were in a car with an integrated dash then the sound processor makes sense, but not in this case.  All you need is a new  trim frame around your stereo as the stock one is not standard double din size like the 2010 onward.

hmm yeah those go for upwards of $500, might as well get a new head unit at that price point.  I might just have to take the head unit out one day and check the outputs/imputs. Im assuming that if it has a stock sub woofer function then there has got to be a line for it?
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 04:00:24 pm »
hmm yeah those go for upwards of $500, might as well get a new head unit at that price point.  I might just have to take the head unit out one day and check the outputs/imputs. Im assuming that if it has a stock sub woofer function then there has got to be a line for it?

If you start googling you will probably find your answer.  I remember a lot of fiddling needing to be done to get a backup camera to work with it, I cannot remember their being pre-outs being available on that head unit.   The head unit is extremely easy to take out, you could have it out in 5-10 minutes to see, there are just 4 screws holding it in behind the trim, and the trim comes off quickly.

Offline Dado_666

• Patchy Faced
  • Stage 2 Clothing
  • Ride: BMW M3
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 04:39:16 pm »
it hardly that stock unit has RCA connectors, most likely you have just line output because stock subs have already built in amps. cheap solution would be to get little thingy which converts line-out into RCA.

example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CAR-HI-LO-CONVERTER-ADD-RCA-PRE-AMP-TO-RADIO-LINE-OUT-/360624520824