Author Topic: Engine Chattering Problem  (Read 1946 times)

Offline skoOdle

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Version 5 ST
Engine Chattering Problem
« on: February 27, 2015, 01:34:32 pm »
Hey guys, I know this is going to be hard to explain it, let alone diagnosing but I'll give it a shot. Who knows.

When I'm driving, just right after shifting to the 1st and to 2nd gear and throttling, I can hear "chattering/rattling" from the engine. After a while (1-3 seconds) with the throttle, the chattering and rattling goes off.

I am going to do an oil change this weekend. Hopefully that fixes the problem...

I've been recently getting this other clunking noise from behind the driver's side dash. It just happens randomly, not when I accelerate or stop. Don't think its from the outside of the car...

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
Re: Engine Chattering Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 02:02:02 pm »
Hey guys, I know this is going to be hard to explain it, let alone diagnosing but I'll give it a shot. Who knows.

When I'm driving, just right after shifting to the 1st and to 2nd gear and throttling, I can hear "chattering/rattling" from the engine. After a while (1-3 seconds) with the throttle, the chattering and rattling goes off.

I am going to do an oil change this weekend. Hopefully that fixes the problem...

I've been recently getting this other clunking noise from behind the driver's side dash. It just happens randomly, not when I accelerate or stop. Don't think its from the outside of the car...

what rpms are you shifting at ? are you sure your not just bogging down the engine if it disappears really quick ? Suabrus have very noisy valve trains but it shouldn't sound like it knocking.  Maybe link a you tube video of a similar sound from someone elses car, or take one of your own.   
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline skoOdle

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2015, 02:38:29 pm »
Just did an oil change. I'll try to take more notes while driving. If anything I'll try capturing it on sound.

Thanks!!

Update: Seems like the "chattering" is less noticeable after the oilchange... Perhaps I should oilchange more often? I am using the Castrol 5w-30 Full Synthetic for every 5000kms. Engine is at 170xxx kms, any other oil suggestions?

Offline skoOdle

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 02:53:41 pm »
You sure it's not just head shield rattle? Usually happens around 3500-4k.

Get under there and check the shield between the tranny and driveshaft. I bet it's missing a couple rivets.

Forgot to update this, but yes. It was just a heatshield rattle. Missing couple rivets so I had it tack welded!