Author Topic: Geneva Motor Show 2015  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Electrical stuff is voodoo black magic to me
  • Ride: '11 OBP GR STi
Geneva Motor Show 2015
« on: March 10, 2015, 09:55:19 am »
I've arrived in Geneva! I will post pics from the motor show when I get some WiFi. Lots to look forward to. No doubt you guys have read the media releases.

I'm excited to see the Levorg in person, along with all the other supercar releases!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Geneva Motor Show 2015
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 12:17:06 pm »
Looking forward to your updates!
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 04:45:41 pm »
Cool! I've seen a couple Peugeot 205 (or 208 not sure) wagons here in korea. They look pretty nice. No idea about other details. Keep on eye out.

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 11:17:26 pm »
So I finally uploaded the photos. Please excuse my terrible photography skills and my POS camera.

Some of the shots may be framed weird, and it's usually because I'm trying to avoid having people in the shot.

We spent a total of 8 or so hours at the show. The total floorspace was over 820,000 sq-ft, placing it somewhere around three-times the size of the Calgary auto show.
The hall was just massive, three main areas, multiple food venues, a longer Hall 7 that housed SEMA-like industry booths. I think you'd want to spend at least two days here if you want to actually sit in more than a handful of cars. A lot of the cars I wanted to sit in were fenced off or locked (*cough* Focus RS, Golf R400, Levorg, exotics). On the plus side, it seemed like the public was allowed into the Porsche and Ferrari booths to sit in the cars! Unfortunately, the lineups for these were ridiculous.
Each major manufacturer had their own coffee bar (some with booze!). I think anybody could go in to these bars, with the exception of Maserati which needed some kind of black membership card to gain access.
It was hot as hell in there with all the people and the lighting (some of the booth girls said 35C+ on some days). The Tesla booth was my favourite because the Model S (P85D) could still pump out full-power air-con since it's fully electric.

To start the show off, some generous locals handed us free tickets! +$42 CAD

This thing is in another thread on here somewhere...

There were a lot of tuner shops with large booths. They typically modded up exotics or higher end luxury cars.

911 GT3 RS

Cayman GT4, lineup is in the background.

I wouldn't mind having this. I'm a coupe hatch sporty car kinda guy.

And to end the night, the only Subaru I spotted on the entire trip:

A GD with a scoop!?

Wait a minute...

A 1.6TS turbo? huh?

That pretty much summed the trip for Japanese imports. There were barely any. I did spot a really flashy Orange BRZ in London, but it was behind a gated area.

Since it's getting late I'll put in a bit of commentary for pictures tomorrow, but the link to the full album is here: http://s2.photobucket.com/user/Mitnek/slideshow/Geneva%20Motor%20Show

Be sure to click through the album, as there will be cars that I won't bother commenting on, but you may be interested in nonetheless.

If you have any questions about certain cars for interior or build quality, feel free to ask and I will try to regurgitate what I can remember.

Other interesting stats...
Amount of obese people spotted: zero until the Haagen Dazs store at Paris that housed three, and then zero from thereon in.
Predominant makes in France/Belgium: Domestics (Peugeot, Renault, Citroen)
Predominant makes in Switzerland: Domestics (Peugeot, Renault, Citroen), Imports (VW, Mercedes, BMW)
Predominant makes in Germany: Domestics (BMW, Mercedes/Smart, VW, Porsche), Imports (Ford, Peugeot, Renault, Citroen)
Predominant makes in the UK: A good mix of everything. I saw mostly cabbies in my area though.
Total trucks spotted: One F150 in Berlin

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 11:56:56 pm »
Thanks for sharing man.  I liked your photojournalling.  Looking forward to seeing/reading more :) (the slideshow went black on me :( could be my internet)

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 11:44:34 pm »
This car has the longest name in the world, if you exclude the Koenigseggsegsegsegsegseg.

It's called the Carrozzeria Touring Superleggera Berlinetta Lusso. A one-off car.

While I was in Paris, they were prepping for fashion week or something and the Peugeot shop was closed. I was hoping to pick up a few model cars and take a look at the 208 GTI they had on display. Thankfully it was at the show.

Not a huge fan of the chrome cluster, but the stitched interior gave it a quality finish.

695 Biposto. Looks like a lot of fun. I'd probably drive a sub-compact around if there weren't so many trucks in AB.

More cars I can't afford...

Aston Martin DBX Concept. I can't wait until crossovers die a horrible ugly death.

This next one on the other hand, looks 'amazeballs'

The Vulcan is track-only because if it were on the street, nothing would get done with all the panties on the ground.

I didn't see many BRZs, but it's probably due to the price ~41,000 CHF which is rougly $53k Canadian. Imagine how broke 05LGT would be...

Renault Twizy... I thought the Smart Fortwo was small. This seats 2 in tandem. It'd be impossible to fit somebody over 5'10" with the leg space back there.

These next few belong to the CTR thread:

DS is or was under the parent company Citroen. It's supposed to be their luxury line and while most of the cars felt like a step up in trim, they were more on the sportier side. My favourite one is this DS3. The best way I can describe it is that it makes you feel like a fighter pilot (poor man's Aventador?). There was a HUD, very angular features, and great seats.

The world premiere of Jaguar F-type. AWD.

There were just a ton of cars, too many to really single out... so for now, I'll end this post with something interesting:

What were these two doing? I'm 99% certain they were Chinese car manufacturer spies!
I'm dead serious because while most people take pictures, sit for a bit and walk away, these two were taking pictures, feeling interior pieces and jotting down notes...

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:54:40 am »
Wow dude, photos look great! So many amazing looking cars!

Offline Stealthbombing

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: BMW 135i M
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:51:11 am »
great photos, one thing i noticed over all them is that every car has bucket seats there, even the Honduh. When will subaru step up there game :sigh:
*** PM Me for quotes on parts for wholesale price !!***
Stella -
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=47765.msg579306#msg579306

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 10:14:18 am »
great photos, one thing i noticed over all them is that every car has bucket seats there, even the Honduh. When will subaru step up there game :sigh:

EDM, in europe even Subaru uses Recaro.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:27:37 pm »

Awe...  Have they moved away from their nice wrinkle red valve covers and replaced with with a plastic cover?

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:18 pm »
That's a good question... It did look cheaper compared to what I thought was press release images of the motor back a year or two ago. That old engine was called HR12E or something, but it didn't have a turbo manifold like this one does.

I still think the routing is strange. Intake duct and snorkel all across the bay over the exhaust, down to IC, then around back to the intake manifold.

Take note of the massive amounts of access to the strut towers.

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2015, 11:06:46 pm »
Procrastinating about photo commentary. I hope you guys skimmed through the album :D I've left a lot out of this narrative...

^ There's a lot of chatter over this car in this forum lately

I want to like this car, but I can't. The front just doesn't do it for me.

Morgan released a new 3 wheeler

This thing looks like it could take a few shots.

Take your pick

The new second gen R8

The Ford booth was quite popular. Mustangs are fairly new to EU, but more people were interested in the RS and this one. The rotors on the GT are monstrous.

I would've taken a picture of the specsheet, but Ford's iPad was broken.

The new Ferrari that replaces the 458. Lots of changes, but it keeps the same overall look. I especially like the tail end, as they've added a F1 inspired brake light. Overall the proportions look better (to me), but it's not like I can afford this anyways.

This is the Mitsubishi Evo XI. I don't know what's going on with the trunk

Subaru break:

I was sad because they fenced off the Levorg. The brochure says it's got a 1.6L engine. The trunk has ample storage, plus the bottom flips up for extra storage compartments.

I'll end this tour with some supercar spam:

Thanks for reading!

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2015, 09:27:53 am »
Nice pictures..  I especially like how they've gotten rid of the valve stem on the Ford GT.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 12:05:27 pm »
Thanks for sharing.  I'm not a fan of the new NSX either, but the tech behind it sounds very cool. That 6 wheeler thing looks awesome!