Author Topic: Painting Tips  (Read 1473 times)

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
Painting Tips
« on: March 17, 2015, 02:54:17 pm »
My front lip has been sitting in my room for over a week and it is driving me crazy that I can't install yet due to it not being painted. I have decided to tackle the project on my own since I have been quoted nearly $200 to paint an already primed and ready lip... :o

Just looking for some tips as to which paint, how many coats etc.

The lip is primed already but should I give it a sand first? What should I clean it with to get all the oil and itshay off from people touching it? Is there a certain paint or clear coat that would be best for this?

I will be doing it in black.

Thanks guys!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: Painting Tips
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 02:59:45 pm »
$200 is pretty reasonable for a paint job especially if they screw up they will fix it (or at least should fix it).

In supplies alone you are looking at spending at least $50.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »
You could give this guy a shout.

https://www.facebook.com/ponyboylabs
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 03:06:45 pm »

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 03:31:23 pm »
Been looking myself. Found this :
http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page=webcontent/pages/paint.html

Very informative, thanks! 

I know it will cost about the same to do it myself but then I get some experience under my belt, plus I will have a paint gun etc. that I will use over and over again.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 05:04:16 pm »
You could give this guy a shout.

https://www.facebook.com/ponyboylabs
+1, Curtis does great work.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 05:47:41 pm »
If you were just going to paint it black anyway I would have just sprayed it with rubberized undercoating. More durable against scuffs and scrapes too being a lip. It will also hide imperfections because of the slight texture and semi gloss finish. Also easy to touch up, and contain over spray vs something more airborne like spray paint. 

If you are set on painting it yourself it depends on how good of a finish you want vs effort.

At a minimum hit it with a fine scuff pad and then wax and grease remover.

Next level would be wet sanding, depending on how rough the surface is you would start with either a 400 or 600. Make sure you use a nice sanding block for the flat areas. After the 600 then scuff pad and wax and grease remover.

Last level would be the same as the last except using a high build primer and or finishing putty to fix the high lows on the flat sections between sanding.

If you are insistent on painting it yourself with your own gun make sure your compressor has sufficient capacity to keep up with your gun. And if you have any water coming through your lines you will need a drier.

Dust and dirt is a itchbay, getting a good clean room to do it in is vital. A ghetto garage trick to keeping dust and dirt from the floor from stirring up as you walk around is to hose down the floor first. The dust and dirt will get trapped in the water and should stay that way until the water dries up.

Above all else, prep work and patience is key.

Personally I think $200 is a pretty damn good deal around here.

Offline Blue_Subie

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2008 Forester XT and 2014 Forester
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 12:14:18 pm »
$200 is pretty reasonable for a paint job especially if they screw up they will fix it (or at least should fix it).

In supplies alone you are looking at spending at least $50.

Agreed. $200 isn't that steep when you think about the trouble/time it will take to DIY but I totally understand it depends how you look at it. Have you considered wrapping it instead? Not sure if that makes it cheaper or not and if that is even something you're interested in?