Author Topic: 2006 LGT engine rebuild needed: advice on path and Calgary shops  (Read 5369 times)

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 LGT wagon
So the wagon is showing it's age at nearly 160,000 km. Had a drivetrain noise since last fall. Subaru of Calgary checked it over, diagnosed Center diff. Got the turbo banjo cleaned, found small bits of metal. Also found a bit of oil leaking internal to the turbo, with intake hose and  oil return covered in oil. Maybe an opportunity to change out turbo, DP and UP, get an Airboy tune!

Allmakes double checked tranny, had same diagnosis. They opened up tranny, and other than wear on Center diff and bearings, found it in great shape despite my teenager learning to drive manual on it. Fixed tranny, replaced clutch, SMFW, while it's easy. I asked them to do a comp/leak down test also. I'm taking a potential worn turbo as a chance to upgrade, but thought it prudent to assess the motor health first.

Compression ok, but leak down bad. 3 cylinders worse than 8%, with #2 at 15%. Driving home, tranny shifts great, runs quiet, nice new clutch to get used to. That evening get a CEL and flashing cruise. P302, IIRC, cylinder 2 misfire. Smell of raw gas before starting it in the driveway. Got the CEL again, left it on for VEX to look at the next day.

I had scheduled in VEX to assess motor health more carefully prior to getting them to upgrade turbo. They checked it over, redid leak down, confirmed previous results. Leaking past #2 piston, oil blow by, seeps out turbo. So new short block time. Also boost leak at TMIC ends. But the turbo is ok.

Given that the car is a daily driver, with the wife wanting a reliable ski car, VEX suggests just fix it (short block, TMIC) and get an Accessport, stop right there.  Funds aren't a problem, but common sense suggests not pouring cash into a soon to be rust bucket. If the Levorg was available now I'd consider buying that and parting out the old wagon.

So, any suggestions for best place to replace the shortblock? I've had only good experiences at both dealers with 3 subarus over more than a decade. Likewise Allmakes and VEX/Airboy. Also what kind of shortblock - reman EJ255 from dealers with longer warranty, or maybe slightly better Rallispec etc block?

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Focus ST
Re: 2006 LGT engine rebuild needed: advice on path and Calgary shops
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 07:52:20 am »
I would argue that "ScotchBrite hone" and new rings would be more economical than a rebuilt block.

It saddens me that no one is willing to FIX things anymore.

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 08:46:06 am »
That's what we did on our John Deer tractors when I was a farm boy. But this is a more modern engine with precise tolerances best left in the hands of a capable machinist with all the right tools. I don't have a lift in my garage, so I'm quite willing to pay someone to fix it. The old block will get recycled and refreshed for the next person. Much more economical, reliable, and faster that way.

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 10:57:33 am »
2006-2007 would have come with a 257 bottom end.  There are small differences that I can't recall right now, but if you go this route, that's what you want.  The only difference in the 06-07 255 to 257 was the intake manifold, turbo and intercooler. Long block is exactly the same. Then in >2008 the 255 changed into it's own beast, different heads and cams and pistons and so on.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 01:04:52 pm »
Watching this thread with keen interest as our l g t wagon has become quite  the oil consumer lately. Last yr the turbo went so we did the turbo, IC, injectors, Sunny tune, etc upgrades. It still pulls really really hard but it's fondness of turning the oil black and consuming it is starting to concern me. It is my wife's DD as well. It rarely sees WFO. I'll tag my question in here as well. A stock short block or a more performance rebuild.?
I think the most frequent advice we have received is trade it before something big happens. But we like the car AND I don't want to be that "guy".

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2015, 03:37:28 pm »
A brand new EJ255/257 shortblock from Heuberger Subaru is $1695USD IIRC, and master gasket/seal kit is $260USD. Last time I checked, it costs $290USD to have it shipped to Edmonton. With our exchange rate, that puts you just over $3000CAD. I've also requested a quote from Tom@TWE to have my current block refreshed with 4032 pistons, new crank, new bearings, etc. The cost was not a lot more than going new EJ255 route. The Rallispec street spec standard will be around the $5000CAD mark.

According to LGT.com (there's a nice engine rebuild shopping list there too), if you will stay around stock power level or stage 2, it is hard to beat the brand new EJ255 route. But... having a forged bottom end for a little more money is also very tempting.

Offline Way-do

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 04:16:55 pm »
Well all the cranks are the same, and 257 had forged rods didn't it?
Really, with a conservative tune, there is no reason to upgrade that engine on a grocery getter.

Fix what you have or core it out for a stock replacement.
Tom does great work, but price will be about the same.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 06:28:56 am »
As a 2006 LGT owner I don't think I would put performance parts in it at this point... A lot of items will be getting/have gotten  wear and will be really in need of maintenance soon. I just did some maintenance on mine for 2 grand, and that was really all wear and tear. But, I am at that 150,000 km mark... And I learned how to drive standard on it (not a teenager however)... So I am very interested in what you do for my own future reference! Good luck!

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 01:34:51 am »
This is from the Subaru dealer in Bozeman Montana, I assume the dealer in Great falls would be the same.. looks like the price includes the gasket kit..

Might be worth a drive down to Great Falls to pick up a short block, I wonder if there is duty on something like this.. or just GST?..
(assuming the 375 shipping is in the US only)
Has anyone priced out the same part from $ubaru in Canada?..

SHORT BLOCK ENGINE ASSEMBLY .
This genuine part fits your 2006 Subaru Legacy 25GT LIMITED(OUTBACK:XT) WAGON 2.5L TURBO 5MT 4WD .
Stock Code   10103AC030 ; 10103AB440; 10103AB4409L; 10103AB750; 10103AB910; 10103AB940
Manufacturer   Subaru
Categories   Engine and Cooling
Assemblies   ENGINE GASKET & SEAL KIT. SHORT BLOCK ENGINE ASSEMBLY.
Shipping for this item is a fixed $375.00 USD
List Price   $ 2137.14 USD
Your Price   $ 1974.72
You Save   $ 162.42 (8%)

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:42 am »
Sounds like a good option. Both Vex and Allmakes suggest new sb, not sure where sourced. Both dealers do reman for about the same price. Not planning to do it myself. Any ideas on these options?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 10:19:11 am »
When I was pricing out replacing my motor, assuming it'll have to be done, Vex offered me a fairly competitive price on a brand new OEM shortblock. I'd recommend giving them a shout, personally. That was for an EJ257 SB.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 01:51:26 pm »
Sounds like a good option. Both Vex and Allmakes suggest new sb, not sure where sourced. Both dealers do reman for about the same price. Not planning to do it myself. Any ideas on these options?

Don't go to Allmakes.  Plenty of raisins here why.. 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 09:16:49 pm »
So I've had the car back for a week. Vex appeared quite thorough in assessing the engine health; will need new sb, and TMIC leaks also.  Have already ordered in a variety of Stage2 parts, and I am looking at rebuilt enhanced VF40 turbo. More of a preventative item. Will call Vex tomorrow to go over short block options. Also look at TMIC options, and other improvements.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 09:34:51 pm »
Yep we went down that road. Bigger turbo, bigger ic, down pipe, exhaust, bigger injectors, bigger fuel pump, ic hoses, better rad, new pvc, and of course a tune. Wish i had done the short block at the same time. And wish i had bought an acessport. And installed a boost gauge.

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 10:12:31 pm »
I have a V3 AP on the way. It'll be fun to get a bit better read on the motor before I get it overhauled. Will also get it Airboy tuned. He did my WRX a few years ago - a good improvement over the Cobb maps. I don't plan on upgrading fuelling with only a stockish turbo, but will replace/upgrade a few things while the access is easy.

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2015, 11:12:05 am »
A few parts on order. Looking forward to getting a rebuilt VF40 installed, along with Cobb downpipe and Grimmspeed uppipe. Might as well once the engine is out and getting overhauled. Still shopping for other misc parts.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2015, 08:00:02 pm »
So which way did you end up going?.. is VEX going to rebuild yours? or are they just slipping an OEM Short block in?..

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2015, 09:43:36 pm »
I'll likely just have a new sb installed, but will double check long block pricing. Most likely Vex, but haven't ruled out a different shop that I tracked down on beyond.ca. Vex has quite a few projects on the go, so can't get to it for a few more weeks. I have other vehicles, so there's no rush, but I'm eager to get it fully operational. Meanwhile I'm researching and ordering parts.

Vex noted it is not miss firing very much, and I confirmed with my scanner. Takes a while for a pending P302 to come up, then eventually a CEL. Also not using much oil. They thought it might be ok to just run it like that as a city beater, maybe Stage1. But we need a reliable winter car that will often be outside of cellphone coverage. Cheaper to fix it than replace it with a newer awd wagon.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 01:00:03 pm »
Good to see that you will be keeping the LGT. I'll have some LGT parts for sale very soon. EBCS, Perrin TMIC, BNR 16G turbo, Perrin up pipe. Let me know if there's anything you are interested in.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2015, 12:18:46 pm »
Mind pm'ing me the quote you got from VEX for a shortblock swap?  Want to go that route on mine when the time comes.

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2015, 07:13:52 am »
Good to see that you will be keeping the LGT. I'll have some LGT parts for sale very soon. EBCS, Perrin TMIC, BNR 16G turbo, Perrin up pipe. Let me know if there's anything you are interested in.

That is a nice package of parts you have there. Are you planning to take it back to stock and sell the car, or upgrading it further?

If I hadn't already ordered new parts I'd be interested in the whole works. I still haven't placed an order for a new  TMIC, so I might be tempted by your Perrin.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2015, 08:55:26 am »
Not returning to stock. Just changing out to a different setup.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice

Offline codger

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2015, 08:19:33 pm »
That's maybe a too good to be true price. But if it was in Calgary I'd check it out.

Offline lophilip

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 02:35:42 pm »
New short block is the cheapest and most reliable. Remanufacture has more risk associated with it.