Author Topic: 2013 Focus ST - Fully Built Engine - 500HP build  (Read 5896 times)

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Toyota Aristo, 2006 Jeep SRT-8, 1998 Subaru Legacy GTB, '13 Ford Focus ST3, 93 Suzuki Alto Works. 90 Toyota Supra Big Single 1jz 93 Nissan Pulsar GTIR 06 Suzuki GSX-R600
2013 Focus ST - Fully Built Engine - 500HP build
« on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:30 pm »
Hey guys,

Just realized theres a section for non-subaru builds, so I figured I might as well toss up my current Focus build.

I bought my focus back in late summer of 2013.
I originally wanted a reliable daily driver that I could still have fun with. (hahah, oh how that worked out)

After looking at new STI's, EVO's and GTI's and seeing the high 40+ k prices I was a little discouraged at finding something new that would appeal to me.
That was until a friend told me to check out the new 'turboed focus's"

I was pretty sceptical because anytime I heard the word focus, I would think of those terrible terrible cars made in the early 2000's that seemed to only come in beige.

Thankfully I decided to trust my friend and go take a look at them. 
The first time I checked one out, I was sold on it. The interior blew me away. The power and torque was phenominal and made me feel like a teenager again haha.
And the best part was the 35k price tag.

I put my deposit down and order a Tangerine Scream colored out.

It took about 4 weeks to track one down (we found one in Regina and had it shipped up)

Anyways, here is the most current mod list (as well as parts i have waiting to go on, waiting to be purchased):

(Ill let the pictures do most of the story telling in the next few posts as well)

2013 Ford Focus ST3
Engine:
• Accessport v3
• Garret GTX 2867r. 64 (IWG welded shut)
• ATP Turbo Manifold
?   Tial MV-S 38mm Wastegate (Anodized Metallic Purple)
?   ATP Universal dump tube *custom cut and welded*
?   FS Werks Downpipe
?   Agency Power Titanium Catback Exhaust Dual Tip
• COBB hangers
?   Cobb Cold Air Intake
?   Tial Q-BOV (Anodized Metallic Purple)
?   Cobb Front Mount Intercooler
• Cobb rear motor mount
?   Cobb Symposer Delete
Purchased for 2015 (waiting for install) :
?   GTX 3076r .74 AR (Polished compressor housing, IWG welded Shut)
?   Breedt CNC Aluminum Intake Manifold (custom powder coated Performance Blue)
?   Aquamist HFS-3 Water/Meth Injection Kit with Aquamist Slim Tank
?   Breedt Throttle Body Spacer
• FSWerks Transmission shifter bracket Bushings
?   Quaife Limited Slip Differential
?   SPEC Stage 5 Clutch (6 puck, unsprung hub, rated for 850lbs/ft of TQ)
• Black Gorilla Lug Nuts
?   Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 on stock wheels for winter 225/45/18
?   Nitto NT-05 245/40/18 R Compounds
?   Tinted Headlights
?   Red Overlays + tinted Rear lights
?   Blacked out ST badges
?   Weathertech Laser Cut Floor Mats
•25% window tint
?   1552 Cup Spoilers
Awaiting Purchase :
?   Speed Performance Fully built Long Block (Waiting for the dollar to get better.  Priced out after shipping, taxes and conversion im looking in the area of around the 12,000 mark)
?   Speed Performance Auxillary Fuel Injection Kit

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1999 Toyota Aristo, 2006 Jeep SRT-8, 1998 Subaru Legacy GTB, '13 Ford Focus ST3, 93 Suzuki Alto Works. 90 Toyota Supra Big Single 1jz 93 Nissan Pulsar GTIR 06 Suzuki GSX-R600
Re: 2013 Focus ST - Was supposed to be a daily driver...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:49 pm »
So onto the focus,

The day I picked er up from the dealership:

Week later I ended up doing a full car 3m and tint. Every panel. Did black vinyl on the roof and mirrors. Car still looks brand new to this day. No rock chips. Probally one of the best purchases you can make for a brand new car.

Since winter was coming up quickly, I picked up a set of weather tech mats to keep the stock carpets nice.

My very first 'performance mod' was a cobb short shift plate and shifter. This reduced the throw by 40 percent and made it feel much more sportier.

A few more weeks went by and I started feeling that the car was too quiet. This was remedied with an agency power titanium cat back exhaust.

Immediately after install i realized the car was too loud. The agency power exhaust produced a lot of drone on the highway. Numerous times I have thought about getting rid of it.

**I also installed Cobb Exhaust hangers with the new exhaust. The stock hangers were a little too soft and my exhaust started hitting the underside of my bumper.

From my readings online, the stock Borgwarner k03 BPV have been known to leak under higher PSI so i replaced it with a boomba BOV. I also immediately hated this thing as well. The BOV's are controlled by a solenoid on this car,  so it would open up at even the slightest hint of boost. SO ANNOYING. (I eventually fixed this problem by purchasing a cobb acccessport and cobb race tuning program to 'tune' it out)

At this point it was winter, so I thought I should start hunting down a nice set of wheels. Quickly realized there was a poor selection of wheels in this bolt pattern. (5x108, yeah what the hell. I guess i could HAVE just ran ferrari wheels, right?)  Everything out there was weak sizes or a Kal Tire Special.
After many hours spent on the internet, I got in touch with Avant Garde.

Ended up with a set of Avant Garde m240s in 18x9 +43 custom made in a 5x108 bolt pattern.

I ended up getting the faces painted at a shop here. I went with a nice metallic black with a lot flake. Turned out really nice :

I had to wait untill spring to get some tires mounted and put on the car.

I started wanting a bit more power. First choice was obviously the Cobb Accessport. Ive dealt with cobb a lot when I had my subaru wrx.

version 3 accessport vs version 2 (i actually still had my 06 wrx accessport which I traded in and cobb gave me a new one for my focus for half price) :

Stage 1 tune felt awesome. Better powerband, very smooth. Tires went bye bye even quicker.

Dont you love winter here :

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »
So of course with a new set of wheels, you MUST purchase suspension, right?

A set of Fortune Auto 500 with 7k titanium swift springs in the front and rear with camber plates and upgraded radial bearings. These coilovers were the TITS. I initially had issues with some clunk in the rear. Turned out to be the bushing was too short. Fortune Auto quickly sent me out a replacement and they have been perfect since :

After what seemed to be the longest winter known to man, spring finally came so I could put on the coilovers and wheels. It was a tight fit, but goddamn did she ever look good :

like a drug problem, i quickly started itching for some more power. I ended up ordering an FSWerks downpipe, cobb front mount inter cooler, cobb cold air intake, cobb rear motor mount (the stock motor mount SUCKS. Caused a lot of wheel hop and gross bangy noises) and some FSWerks shifter bushings (these replaced the soft rubber bushings on the shift plate on the transmission, making everything MUCH more solid and crisp.
At this point, I was at what was considered 'Stage 3' as far as cobb mods and tunes go.

I took the car on a few road trips and drove the hell out of it. It stayed this way for a month or so.

Picked up some 1552 lip spoilers from a guy in calgary to spice up the appearance ( I still havent painted these or installed these yet :( )

Aaaaand again I was craving more power...Best way to do that was a bigger turbo :

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:22 pm »
Dont you love when you get tonnes of car parts in the mail?

mmmmm turbo goodies :

gtx2867r on right, gt2871 on the left (for comparison), wastegate, tial q BOV and all the parts.

tial mv-s wastegate :

dirty screamer pipe thats going to be hacked up :

Another comparison :

more turbro and manifold (you may be wondering what manifold? Yeah, its that little dinky thing hanging off the turbo there. Ford decided it was a good idea to integrate the manifold into the head design)

Mmmm, dual ball bearing and billet wheel goodness:

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:23 pm »
I had Speedtech do the turbo install for me while I was out of town. Jesse there does excellent work!

With the new turbo on, the car was an animal. Much MUCH faster. Which resulted in MUCH more wheel spin which resulted in WAY more brake dust. (the focus ST uses an e-diff, basically if it senses wheel spin it applies brakes to the spinning side to lock up the diff)

YUCK

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:39:37 pm »
...and now for the sad part of this car tale.

After street tuning the car and getting it dialed in, it was making aroung the 350whp mark. The car was a spin monster in anything but 3rd gear and up. Took a lot to handle and keep going straight with all the torque steer haha.

Then one day after a day at castrol track, I had the car in the garage swapping out some toasted tires.

I had noticed there was a tonne of sprayed oil on my transmission bell housing :

My BOV is pointed right at the housing so I had initially assumed I was getting a lot of blowby with the increased boost and decided to order a catch can as there were no other problems or symptoms pointing to anything worse

Fast forward a few days later and I go to start the car. The car starts, but with a CEL (the first time I have ever even seen a CEL on this car too boot haha)

Misfire code.

Well crap. Figured it has been 25,000 kms of boost and hard driving, maybe i should change em.

Pulled the spark plugs and found some oil. Welp. Well, might as well compression test it since Im in here.

Cylinder 2 and 3 made 150 psi. Cylinder 1 and 4 barely put out 80 psi.

itshay.

It was at this point I parked it for the winter and imported my Legacy (build thread : http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=45239.0 )

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 08:59:49 pm »
So now we have come into the new year and I have started my 2015 build.

Goals for 2015 are to pull the old motor and replaced with a fully built long block from Speed Performance.
My power goal for this year is 500whp, so to get there and be able to actually use it I needed some different/more parts this year:

My turbo setup this year is going to be the Garret GTX3076r .74 AR.

Such a beautiful turbo. Such a shame its hidden behind my motor.

Another guy is running this same turbo, but on stock motor and heads and just layed down 495 whp just last week. With my built/ported/polish heads , built bottom end and higher redline, this turbo should push me well into the 500 hp range.
After that point, Ill probally be stepping up the GTX3572R and seeing where that will take me.

I decided to ditch the stock manifold and went with a custom CNC aluminum Breedt Intake manifold. ( I also have each runner tapped for a meth nozzle to run port injection) This thing is a work of art :

Not my car, but gives you an idea of how it looks in the car :

Since I was having terrible traction issues last season, I ordered a new set of tires (Nitto NT-05 245/40/18) and a quaife limited slip differential. I think the mechanical diff will be a wicked upgrade to this car:

Since the motor and tranny are coming out (and the fact that I dont think the stock clutch will hold 400+ ft lbs of tq) i bought a SPEC stage 5 clutch - 6 puck disc with an unsprung solid hub. This thing is rated to 850 lbs of tq :

To keep things cool, and help me run more boost I picked up an Aquamist HSF-3 series kit with an Aquamist slim tank. I will be running port injection on this setup:

So all thats left to do is order the motor and order an auxilary fuel system.

More on the fuel system :

The Focus ST is a direct injection platform. Currently what we see is the system running out of fuel pressure when running upgraded turbos. The in tank pump is fine, its the mechanically driven pump in the engine bay that cant keep up. This is the same issue that the mazda speed platform has enecountered. There is also the lack of injector options, seeing as how developing Direct Injection injectors for these platforms are too costly.

What the mazda guys have ended up doing is running an auxillary fuel system. Essentially running a spacer between the intake manfold and engine, tapped for a set of injectors. Fuel rail, set of 4x2000cc injectors which are then tapping into the existing low pressure side of the HPFP in the engine bay. The fuel pump in the tank is upgraded and the new injectors are run off of what is essentially a 'split second fuel controller', This piggy back system is plugged into the stock coilpack systems and has its own "ecu" which then can be tuned to run and 'augment' the DI fuel system.
With this kind of setup, Speed Performance has seen 700 + whp on the mazda speed platform.

This will be the route that I will be going once the Speed Performance Fuel System is finalized. I hope to have the car running the summer!

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 09:03:29 am »
Thanks for sharing this beast with us. Should be quite a handful with the new setup! I cant help but admire the quality of the upgraded parts you're getting. I don't even want to wager a guess at what the total cost of all that automotive bling would be.

Sick build, and I really hope I get to see this thing in person!

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 09:07:44 am »
Awesome build.  Good color choice too.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:36:56 am »
Thanks for sharing this beast with us. Should be quite a handful with the new setup! I cant help but admire the quality of the upgraded parts you're getting. I don't even want to wager a guess at what the total cost of all that automotive bling would be.

Sick build, and I really hope I get to see this thing in person!

Thanks guys!

Sometimes it's easier to just not even think about the total cost of a build.  It hurts a lot less that way haha. 

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2017, 01:15:56 pm »
*Trumpets blow*

*doves fly*

*people cheer*

Test fit before I pulled the motor :

THE POWER HOLE :

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2017, 02:35:14 pm »
What the heck have you been doing all this time?

I want to see some tire smoke already!
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2017, 02:47:04 pm »
hahah not quite sure. Got side tracked. Bought a new house, bunch of vehicles, traveling, working a itshay tonne.

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 10:14:02 am »
I love this "Was supposed to be a daily driver..."
I feel same way with my car... :D

Offline Delphiwrx

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Hatch WRB
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 10:55:21 am »
Is there any benefit to porting that hole?
~Mods~
CNT Quad Tip Catback, Custom Catless Downpipe, AEM 340 Fuel Pump,Turbo XS Front Mount Intercooler, BorgWarner S257SXE Turbo,ID1000 injectors, Grimmspeed EBCS. Manley H-Tuff Rods, Manley 99.75mm pistons, ARP 2000 Headstuds, 79mm OEM Crank, STI 6 Speed Swap, Cadillac ATS Brembos, Tomei ELH, AEM Meth Injection

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2017, 01:44:13 pm »
There isnt much material to machine out of the exhaust headifold but there is some gains from some porting farther in.

http://www.focusst.org/forum/speed-perf6rmanc3/84505-speedperf6rmanc3-makes-655whp-revs-out-8200-rpm.html

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2017, 07:51:43 pm »
motor is all cleaned up and ready to ship out now :

Slow process on my part with my work schedule. Currently trying to squeeze in a couple of hours a month when I have time to pick away at it.

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2017, 09:04:28 pm »
After trying to get in touch with a shop from here for the last 30 days with no luck, another shop has stepped in and is helping me finish this build.

Panda Motorworks will be helping me finish this build.

Chris is building me a fully built 2.0 long block :

Fully Built 2.0 Ecoboost
PANDA MOTORWORKS SPEC'D 2. 0 ECOBOOST LONG BLOCK
Manley H Beam Rods
Manley Extreme Duty 88MM Pistons
King Rod Bearings
King Main Bearings
Massive BSD Massive Oil Baffle
Massive Keyed Crank
ARP Head Studs
ARP Main Studs
SuperTech Upgraded Head Gasket
Piper Cams V3 Camshafts
Crower Springs & Ti Retainers
Panda Light Port Panda Valve Job
Head Deck Block Honed with Tq Plate
New OEM Timing Components
New OEM Gasket Set

I bought a new GEN 2 Garret GTX3071r (I know, i had a gtx3076r a few months ago and sold it. The new gen 2 gtx3071r is now rated for 650hp and spools about 300 rpm faster, its a no brainer at this point.) This will hold me over for now.

Also will be sending in my custom intake manifold to be modified for my AUX fuel setup. The intake manifold spacer tapped for a fuel injectors will not fit with the after market manifold. Instead, Chris is going to modify my manifold and build a fuel rail, injector setup with a fuel controller for me.

Stay Tuned!

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 08:19:43 pm »
That turbo will... hold you over? Until NASA releases their turbo?

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 08:25:39 pm »
Will be switching to a BB Billet 6062 or 6262 down the road.

The gtx3071r will probally put down 450whp on pump with this setup. Maybe a bit more, but who knows.

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2017, 12:06:33 am »
How was the traction situation after an LSD was added?

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 07:01:38 am »
What failed on the original engine? Rings?

I assume on the auxiliary fuel system, since you're adding a port injection system, the HPFP/DI system will be relegated to only doing stratified injection and the port injection will do most of the fuelling?

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 09:21:29 am »
How was the traction situation after an LSD was added?

Hasnt ran yet. Ill let you know once it is up and running haha

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced

Offline Dcryan

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 09:36:04 am »
Ill be running a split second fuel controller that will be boost referenced. Low throttle off boost will utilize the stock direct injection and and it gets into boost the aux system will kick in to compliment the direct injection.