Author Topic: 97 legacy O/B wagon and 2002 Impreza Wagon Suspension interchangeability??  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
So since my swapped OB wagon does not seem to be generating much interest in people buying it, Im considering swapping in a bunch of suspension goodies onto it from my daughters wrecked bugeye wagon.-For my increased fun and entertainment.. :0
Can anyone who may have gone down a similar road give me some guidance?.

What I think I can swap from the bugeye to the Leggy:

Suspension/transmission/wheels:
•   RCE (RaceComp Engineering) adjustable front camber plates
•   
Adjustable Koni strut inserts at all 4 corners
•   2004 STi 'pink' wagon specific springs
•   2004 Group N hardened rally rear top hats
•   
•   Cobb rear adjustable 20-24mm sway bar
•   Cobb shifter bushings
•   Cobb transmission mount
•   Whiteline 20mm front sway bar and endlinks
•   Whiteline front swaybar bushings
•   
•   Whiteline rear quick-release strut tower bar
•   
•   GT-Spec anti-lift kit

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
From nasioc.....

FAQ Legacy vs WRX Suspension swap questions

So you wanna use WRX/Impreza parts to lower your legacy, well ok.. Here’s the down and dirty of it. I will be using specs from 97-99 legacy’s and 02/03 impreza’s.

What will fit:
From - Any spring/strut combo made for MY02/03 Impreza WRX/RS/L
To – MY97-99 Legacy GT/L/Outback wagon/sedan

Well looks like NASIOC to the rescue.... or I should say giving me more "work"

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
So that sounds like they have the earlier 93-03 style spring perch on the Legacy tophat.

You would need to install an 04+ Impreza tophat to use 04+ style springs on it, which might not even work - a 97 Outback might be old enough that the stud pattern is different and you'll have to drill out a new hole for the later stud pattern. Easiest way to check this would be to try and put the rear strut tower bar on and see if the holes in the mounting plates line up with what the Legacy has already.

Front studs are the same across the cars so I bet you can use the camber plates.

I'm told that you can use the front bar from some earlier Legacies in the 02+ Impreza NA wagon, but I haven't tried it myself. I have a Legacy 22mm front bar that I've been meaning to try in my 03 when I get a chance.

Whiteline's catalogue counterindicates for it, but Whiteline's catalogue has cost me a lot of money over the last few years by being wrong...

The ALK is probably portable. If it's not, sell it to me and then everyone will be happy.

Tranny mount and trans linkage bushings should all carry across, I doubt that's changed significantly as long as you're going 5-speed to 5-speed. You might have a leftover bushing or two since the 97 Outback probably has an external return spring on its linkage.