Author Topic: Timing belt job / bent valves.  (Read 1900 times)

Offline EvanCL93

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 96' STi - 87' Rx7 FC3S TII - 01' Legacy Wagon
Timing belt job / bent valves.
« on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:25 pm »
Hey, so I'm an idiot and set the crank gear on my timing belt with the arrow pointing up to the indicator instead of the little tick on the gear. I cranked the engine by hand and it did a full rotation but felt like it was binding a bit but it still turned completely. Anyways I tried turning it over and it wouldn't I had my timing out 90 degrees due to the crank being lined up to the wrong mark. Would this have caused my valves to bend =/... I'm kind of thinking I've uckfayed it...

rith

Re: Timing belt job / bent valves.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 12:55:44 am »
:(

Offline farva

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 06:46:24 am »
When turning it over by hand you do have to fight compression. Unless you where putting your whole body weight on the ratchet to turn the engine over you should be OK.

I would reset the timing, turn it over by hand to make sure it is correct and then try starting it again.

Also when you said it would not turn over what exactly do you mean? Did you try the starter and it would not go at all? Did you try it and it cranked but did not start?

Offline EvanCL93

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 12:17:09 pm »
Hey, thanks! I'm in the process of trying to set the timing correctly this time but it keeps being off my a single tooth.. Once I get it on right I'll fire it up and see if it goes. When I tried cranking it over before it was cranking but wouldn't fire and did sound quite a bit like a valve was hitting a piston. Is it at all likely that if the valve did hit the piston it wouldn't have actually bent it but just pushed the valve a bit further back then it was suppose to while it was out? I'm kind of thinking im going to have to find a new head for it for cheap and do this whole job over again...  :-\

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 02:32:45 pm »
Is it at all likely that if the valve did hit the piston it wouldn't have actually bent it but just pushed the valve a bit further back then it was suppose to while it was out?

No, as it has no where to go. On the top it has the shim/camshaft pushing down on it, and on the bottom it has the piston pushing up on it. It's basically getting double teamed. If you didn't bend a valve, you cracked a guide.

Here's what I'd do.

1) Re-set timing
2) Pull out the spark plugs
3) Turn the engine over. Should take little to no force with the plugs removed.
4) If you find it catches/wants to stop easily rotating then you've bent the valves.
5) If it turns over easily, put the plugs back in and fire it up.
6) If you're still worried about bent valves compression test it.

In my opinion you've bent the valves. Not a lot of interference engines can turn over with the crank being off 90 degrees and still have the valves clear the pistons.

Offline EvanCL93

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 02:35:20 pm »
Yea, I'm pretty positive that I've bent the valves. I could pretty much hear and feel the valve hitting the piston when I fired it up.. Lesson learned I guess... Idk how I could have been so stupid. Wasn't my first time doing a timing belt either  :-\