Author Topic: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Review  (Read 4113 times)

Phr00t

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Review
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:52:59 pm »

Last Autocross season, my co-driver and I were running some worn out tires, so it was time for an upgrade. Tires are the car part with the single most significant upgrade to vehicle performance, so it was an easy choice to upgrade!
We asked around, did some research, and a solid entry in the High Performance summer tire category were the Dunlop Direzza series. These have been well known to autocrossers for years, and the ZII Star Spec tires are Dunlop's latest tire for 2015.

We opted for the 205/50/R16 size on our GC8 JDM STi, as we weren't 100% sure the 225's would fit on 16 inch wheels.

Right off the bat, on the launch and the first corner, we could tell the difference. The level of cornering and braking grip was miles ahead of anything we had ever seen before. I have used R Compound tires previously in Autocross, and I believe that these street tires provide over 90% of the grip you'd get from a non-street legal semi-slick racing tire.

They give great feedback, in terms of noise and feel of the tire, and didn't seem to have any negative aspects. Road noise wasn't noticeable out on the track, and being a stiff sidewall tubeless tire, it didn't feel like there was too much tire deformation during hard cornering.

We did have some tire rollover on the long corners, but this was most likely due to having stock suspension and having too much weight transfer, which wasn't a problem last season when we had less grip! These tires have a way of showing the weaknesses of your car!
Having a lowered and stuff suspension setup on racing coilovers would be the ultimate way to experience these tires, and I imagine the grip levels would be even higher.

If you're looking for an excellent street racing tire for a decent price (Set of 4 shipped to Montana for $780 CAD), give these a go. And if you're at the next autocross and want to feel how much grip they have, come tag along for a ride!

Offline My Dad

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • 9K all day
  • Ride: 12 STI Hatch/ K20 Hybrid EK Hatch
Re: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec Review
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 02:31:54 pm »
^ Agreed! Wait till you see how long they last for a 200 tread. They can really take some abuse.
I love long walks on the beach with my girlfriend, until the LSD wears off and I realize I'm just dragging a stolen mannequin around a Wendy's parking lot.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 02:56:08 pm »
^ Agreed! Wait till you see how long they last for a 200 tread. They can really take some abuse.
First season they've been available so I guess we'll find out... unless you're referring to last years ZII's?

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 02:59:22 pm »
The ventus RS-3's i have on my wagon are practically bald. I am torn between these and another set of Ventus RS-3's like I have now. 05LGT raced on a set of direzzas in his BRZ last year, and he was very competitive with them.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »
The dollar is making it hard to find decently priced tires right now. I'm looking at $1400 for a set of ZII installed. I probably won't get them.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Phr00t

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:22:11 pm »
The dollar is making it hard to find decently priced tires right now. I'm looking at $1400 for a set of ZII installed. I probably won't get them.

We got our set all in for less than $1000 CAD. Set of 4 from tire rack $780 CAD, shipped to a pickup point in Montana (Kinek.com) 80 to get them across the border, $130 for mounting at Kal tire.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:40 pm »
I've run Z1, Z1 Star Spec and Z11 now as well as RS-3 and RS-3 Z222.  I like the original Hankooks for how much they take heat, and only have 11 runs on the new Z222s.  Which tire was faster, I don't know.  I have not run Z11 Star Specs, and probably won't be, as I got another set of Z11 on closeout.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Phr00t

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 04:18:59 pm »
Where do you get your tires from? Seems like you buy a lot! :D

Offline My Dad

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • 9K all day
  • Ride: 12 STI Hatch/ K20 Hybrid EK Hatch
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2015, 12:17:59 pm »
First season they've been available so I guess we'll find out... unless you're referring to last years ZII's?
Yes yes the first Z2  ;)
I love long walks on the beach with my girlfriend, until the LSD wears off and I realize I'm just dragging a stolen mannequin around a Wendy's parking lot.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2015, 01:27:17 pm »
Where do you get your tires from? Seems like you buy a lot! :D

Work, Spec R/Kyle, 1010.

From now on Spec R only, Kyle is amazing.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2015, 01:47:32 pm »

+1
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2015, 02:43:14 pm »

I believe you, but it's hard not to be cynical about that statement.

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2015, 02:55:41 pm »
I believe you, but it's hard not to be cynical about that statement.

Why?  Kyle was also the cheapest after all.

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2015, 03:13:08 pm »
kyle is best.  I think im on 3 or 4 sets of tires from him now

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2015, 03:59:46 pm »
Why?  Kyle was also the cheapest after all.

I like Kyle, but he can be very.. abrasive? Give him an inch, he'll take a mile. If he doesn't like your tire choice, he'll try and push you into something else, regardless of price or budget. I recently reached out to him regarding tires, and he was trying to convince me to go for a square tire setup on my staggered rims.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Phr00t

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2015, 11:29:42 am »
Only thing I don't like / can't do with Kyle is that he's cash only.. I like getting credit card points for my big purchases :(

Offline Evo_Precision

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: V5 WRX (sold), 2015 BRZ
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 08:14:29 pm »
I'm running these on my BRZ this year as well (235/40R17).  They are definitely very noisy on the highway, and the sidewall is very stiff.  They also really like to grab onto ruts and camber changes in the road I've noticed.  Certainly not the best tire for daily driving.  All things you would expect from a tire in this category.  Today was the first chance I've had to really put them to the test at autocross.  I was very impressed.  They seem to get heat into them very fast which is good when it's a bit cooler.  The grip is unreal.  It takes a lot of effort to get them to brake loose.  I was able to push the car super hard on the brakes and in the corners without issue.  Compared to the other FRS there with stock tires, I had substantially more grip.  During our braking drill I was able to stop among the latest of any of the cars out there.  Today was pretty cold, so I'm sure they would work a little better on a warmer day as well.  Unfortunately I am running the stock suspension setup and the lack of camber was killing the outside portion.  So unless I solve that soon they are not going to last very long.  It was a severely left dominated course (and my front right was also slightly lower pressure =_=) and my front right tire has some pretty noticeable sidewall roll over (passed the arrow indicator).  They also decided to throw some water on the track for fun.  They performed surprisingly well in the wet.  Still not a great wet weather tire, and I was having to be pretty careful with the throttle inputs.  I'l be running them at the autocross event tomorrow as well, so I'll see how that goes.

Offline yella

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 09:12:27 pm »
You need to message me if your getting tires installed at kal tire... I could HAVE saved you $30 bones!! 
2007 Subaru STI Stage 3
Kal Tire Manager
Build Thread http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=40781.0

Phr00t

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 11:48:05 pm »
You need to message me if your getting tires installed at kal tire... I could HAVE saved you $30 bones!! 

How much will you charge for mounting? I may have ~24 rally tires that I will need mounted at some point :D