Author Topic: Bianca the AP2  (Read 16694 times)

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
Re: Bianca the AP2
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2015, 04:25:04 pm »
So, I have not updated this much in the past few weeks.  Too busy with life and such I guess, and buying additional vehicles.

I dropped the car off on June 22 at Refine automotive salon.  They took the whole week to wrap the car.  In the process they fixed all the rock chips that did exist, which were not many.  Also, I had them debadge the side of the car as well.  The car was in fantastic condition when I purchased it and I want to keep it that way.  It was wrapped in Xpel Ultimate, which is a self healing film with a 10 year warranty.

When I was dropping it off:

I was looking for a dash cam for a while, and I stumbled upon a review of the mini 0806, seemed like a good camera and was easy to remove from the car when not in use so I thought I would give it a try.

Temporary install wiring:

The video quality on it is decent, and it makes for a good driving camera.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2015, 04:31:40 pm »
I have found out in the past two weeks that I will be moving back to Ontario at the end of August, Chatham to be exact.  I was not sure where else to post this because I don't want to create a thread dedicated to it.  Many of you already know about this, but wanted to post it here.   I accepted a new job at the Municipality, and it is actually a really good opportunity.  I am disappointed to be leaving so many good friends behind here in Calgary, but it seemed like the best decision for our family.

I will be trailering the S2000 back to Ontario with me.  It will be winter stored shortly after getting back to Ontario and hopefully we find a house over the winter with ample garage space.  It will become an Ontario car, but I will do everything in my power to keep it out of the salt and poor conditions.  On the plus side, the roads are better there, and there are a lot more twisty roads I know of for driving.

So, I am currently on the hunt for a flat bed trailer (renting for the one way is expensive), and a car cover for storage.  So I am open to suggestions on that front.  The car will be stored inside but probably with no climate control unfortunately. I want to get a car cover that is good for outdoor conditions too for future use as well.  I was doing research and it seems that Honda took into account the potential of trailering these cars as there are plugs in the frame rails that accept j hooks quite nicely.  I have trailered a car before so I have already started my research on it.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 06:00:10 pm »
side badging is best.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2015, 12:00:12 am »
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2015, 01:40:05 am »
I park my car outside every night and use a California All Weather Car Cover. I have no problems with rust (let's water out, but not in) or scratching the paint. I also like it because its padded and protects against hail or people bumping into it. Over the winter I store it inside, and have never had a problem with it or the car. Plus the cover was only 320 and fits well.... So that's my recommendation.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2015, 07:12:55 am »
Link? I'd be interested in purchasing one as well, especially if it can fit the dealer spoiler.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2015, 07:22:15 am »
:'( Sad to hear you moving back home man, hopefully get to see you out before you leave next Month either Timmies or perhaps even a beer night out.  Sounds like a really good opportunity though whatever it may be and I wish you the very best man, I hope you keep us updated on WSC/ Facebook!

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2015, 07:44:58 am »
You can choose which outdoor style you want here:

http://www.calcarcover.com/n_carcovermaterials/All

I chose the Stormweve because its the only one that has a cushion (kinda like bubble wrap, but fabric and much smaller "bubbles") built into it. On the last page you can customize it.

http://www.calcarcover.com/c_carcovermaterials/car/4/2003/Honda/S2000/Convertible/Stormweave%20Car%20Cover/1/

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2015, 07:55:49 am »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 07:57:29 am »
Did you end up getting the antenna sleeve or is it even needed on the S2000?  I will probably get a tie down because it will be stored the entire winter and take the battery out and put it on a battery tender for the winter as well.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 08:53:33 am »
I have never taken my OEM battery out, only taken off the negative terminal over winter. I've done it for three winters and have never had a problem starting the car first try... That said a battery tender probably wouldn't hurt.

Mine came with a built in antenna sleeve I think.... Its been a few years since I ordered.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 09:46:04 am »
I realize you just got your dashcam but what are your initial impressions? I am looking to pick up something similar.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 11:30:02 am »
I realize you just got your dashcam but what are your initial impressions? I am looking to pick up something similar.

What I like most about the mini 0806 is that it can be removed very easily and leave no exposed wiring.  It is powered from a micro usb, so you can easily get a cable to splice it in if you want.  The picture quality is not a huge concern for me, but you can see from the example that it is serviceable.  It has two microusb slots with automatic switching, so lots of storage, and it has a micro-hdmi output if you want to view it on a larger screen. The software with it is not great, but I did not buy it for that reason.

I plan to hard wire it using the cigar lighter wiring in behind the console.  That will probably be in August at some point though.

For the price, I don't think you can beat it.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
Re: Bianca - what a waste for a build thread
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 04:49:30 pm »
Will do, I have only driven it twice, and I have to travel for work soon.  Of course I will let you know when I get new tires on it.  The car still has the factory tires.  They are like hockey pucks now.

When I bought my AP1 (which is now in the hands of coop3422), it had Falken Ziex tires on it. As it happened, I had the same tires on my Civic at the time, but while they did everything the Civic needed them to do, they were USELESS on the S2k. Incredibly frustrating at autocross, but so much fun for daily driving haha.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Bianca - what a waste for a build thread
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 04:59:09 pm »
When I bought my AP1 (which is now in the hands of coop3422), it had Falken Ziex tires on it. As it happened, I had the same tires on my Civic at the time, but while they did everything the Civic needed them to do, they were USELESS on the S2k. Incredibly frustrating at autocross, but so much fun for daily driving haha.

Yes, same feeling I have.  New tires are in, and go on Thursday morning.  Hoping for some new driving impressions then.

The interesting thing about the car is that while it is not as powerful as my STi the powerband is just so predictable and consistent, all the power is just above 6k rpm, which is ok.  I have not really pushed the handling all that much yet on the car so it is hard to comment on that, but I can tell it wants to turn more than the STi as well, and I have enjoyed it well below the limits of the car as is, so I am happy.

There is nothing like having the top down though driving, that has been the best experience and has made the car just that much better for me.  I am looking forward to the new tires and seeing what the car is like then.

When I move back Ontario in the fall I will be taking it out to one autocross event in London, they do a charity event at a local college every year, so I will go try it out there, but will not likely push the car hard at all, just want to experience it once.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 07:17:31 am »
If you want to co-drive victoria for an event, we can probably make it happen.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2016, 07:50:57 am »
Have not updated this in a while but things are brewing and though I would write it out.

Car has been in storage since November in my parent's garage under a car cover.  The local club (www.wosca.ca) Autocross season is starting on April 10, and it goes to early October .  While that feels like it is a bit of time away it is much closer than I thought.  I originally wanted to go back to a dedicated autocross car, but the funds don't support that yet.  So, the S2000 will probably be my vehicle of choice for the next 2 years.

This is a map of the new venue.  It is in the North Parking lot, which is about 150m x 150m (500 ft x 500 ft) with few obstructions other than light poles.  I was very happy that the club got this venue as I had suggested investigating it last year.  I am not sure but we may be able to take a little bit to the south as well.  The overall lot is rather large, but they use the south end for parking for a driving range and go-kart track.

My plans for the S2K this year originally included:

• Karcepts Front Sway Bar Kit (0.188" thickness)
  • OZ Alleggerita 17x7 front, 17x8.5 rear, gold finish
  • Bridgestone RE-71R, 245/40/17 front, 255/40/17 rear

With the Canadian dollar not flying so high the OZ wheels quickly were slashed from the budget.  Instead, I was able to find a set of AP2V2 wheels in Toronto which I will be picking up next weekend for a dedicated set of wheels and tires for Autocross, tires will get mounted in early March.  This alone was a huge saving and had me considering a set of shocks for my savings, but I quickly realized that I am new to the car, the shocks probably will not make any difference to me for the money I would spend on them.

Luckily I am driving down to visit my parents in Florida in February so I have ordered the Karcepts Sway bar and had it delivered to them in Florida in advance, which should allow me to avoid duty since I will be visiting them for over 1 week.  Then I just need to find a day in March to get it installed, but first I have to replenish some of my tools in my garage, which will also happen in March.

Open car hauler trailer is parked in my sister and bro-in-law's back yard, so that is ready to go, which will save me a lot of mileage on this car.  My plans are to do 7 out of 8 of the local events and try to hit up 1-2 US events, Champ Tour, and maybe Pro-Solo.  The local venue is about a 80km from me.  Events are about 1 month apart, so I may check out other venues further away with other clubs if time permits.

The only thing I have been trying to research one and I am not 100% confident on yet is winching this car onto the trailer.  I would like to buy a winch for loading the car because sometimes I am concerned about driving it on in wet weather and other situations.  It seems a lot of people don't suggest using the stock tow point for loading onto a trailer as it bends the tow arm, not sure how much of a concern that is.  I have looked at aftermarket tow hooks, but I am worried they will have the same issue.  what I would like is two points in which I could use a bridle and pull the car up evenly.  I think for the first few events I will be driving the car on and off, and do some more research once I can get under the Honda again on where to pull it from.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2016, 08:03:11 am »
This is awesome news Adam! I'm happy to see you'll be involved in autocross out there, it looks like a decent venue from the map! April is approaching sooner than we know it, that's forsure!
Looking forward to seeing pics from events in the spring of the S2k!!!

Florida sounds like it'll be a fun roadtrip, too!

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Bianca the AP2 - Getting ready for the season
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2016, 12:08:52 pm »
Well, insurance is back on as of March 18th.  Next Friday.  The weather has been quite nice here this month, so if it holds up I should be able to start driving the last week of this month, maybe with the top down.

Also, sway bar and second set of wheels have been acquired.  Install of the sway bar is likely to occur the Easter weekend which should be just in time for the season to start on April 10.

The tires are on order from a local shop.  There does not appear to be any stock anywhere on the 255 RE-71R, so I decided to go with 245 all around for this season.  Which is not a bad thing since I can actually rotate the tires at the mid point through the season.

Will take some photos when I "unwrap" her next weekend.  Hopefully I will be able to drive it home otherwise it will stay in storage till Good Friday.  Should be able to do oil, sway bar, and may do clutch fluid that weekend as well.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2016, 01:00:49 pm »
What wheels did you get? :)
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2016, 02:23:42 pm »
Due to the dollar I decided to buy another set of AP2 wheels. Picked up a set for cheap off of someone in Toronto. Maybe in future year I will get something lighter. Trying to do this year on a budget.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Bianca the AP2 - We have TIRES
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
RE-71Rs mounted on second set of stock wheels.

Tire shop had some work to do getting the 245 on the stock 7" wide wheel, especially with a stiff sidewall, but it happened.  They are bulgy compared to the rear 8.5" wide wheel.  Also, the wheels balanced out very well, with minimal weights required.  I am imagining these will be just as difficult to get off after.

Now they sit in my basement for the next 3 weeks as I await, in joyful hope, for the coming of...the 2016 Autocross season.

I will likely be getting the car out of storage this Friday.  The swaybar will likely be on Monday, and I want to inspect the clutch fluid as that is the only fluid left on the car that I have not flushed.  Probably between the April and May events I will be re-greasing the shifter also.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2016, 08:57:28 pm »
Meaty.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2016, 09:00:40 pm »
Awesome man!! :D

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2016, 09:04:51 pm »
The opposite of stretch :)

Looks fantastic.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”