Author Topic: Bianca the AP2  (Read 16658 times)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
Re: Bianca the AP2
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2016, 09:51:10 pm »
Pictures don't work for me :(

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2016, 11:26:13 pm »
Me neither :(
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2016, 12:41:05 am »
Me neither :(

But I can vouch for bulged wheels looking amazing on the s2000 :D

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2016, 07:42:05 pm »
Hmm, I guess my hosting must be the problem, some can see while others cannot?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2016, 08:28:16 pm »
I'm only having trouble with the pics you posted the other day.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2016, 08:30:42 pm »
I'm only having trouble with the pics you posted the other day.

Same here

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2016, 08:34:13 pm »
How about this:

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2016, 08:52:16 pm »
How about this:

That's better! Works for me 8)

Tires look good. Just the right amount of buldge :)

The lower profile of that tire's sidewall does seem to minimize the severity of the bulge though. I guess seeing them in person is a different story.

I can tell you from experience that autox'ing an S2k on RE-71R's is a blast :)

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2016, 02:23:27 am »
Perfect!

Looks great!

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2016, 07:38:54 pm »
Well, it was a busy weekend. On Saturday I heading over to the storage unit (my parents spare garage space) and uncovered the S2K, removed the many dryer sheets I have stuffed in the car and around it.  It started up no problem, and I took some time to get out for a spin just to see how she felt.  After 5 months on a concrete floor that got down to 0 I was surprised that the tires did not feel too bad at all.

It was about 7 degrees when I took the car out, heat on, top down.  Getting lots of funny looks, and got spotted by some people that asked me about it later (small city).  I am sure everyone saw the huge grin on my face.  Very happy to have the car out for the season!

Did not get any photos of the unveiling in the 'rents garage, but I did get a few shots of her tucked away in the stable, with the other vehicles.

Most of the day today was spent cleaning up the garage and organizing my tools once again.  I realized I was missing some hex key sizes needed to do the job, so I went to C-tire and picked up a whole set.  Also went to the local Honda dealer and picked up a few missing clips, a license plate bolt, oil filter and crush washer.  Happy to have the space to start stocking up on tools.  Got the car onto ramps, broke loose the wheels finally at 3:30 today.  Found out later that I really did not need to take the wheels off at all for this job, had lots of space.

Then this went on:

I was done and back to cleaning up the garage at 6pm.  I tell you, the quick adjust on this is really not at all possible with the brake line bracket whcih you can see in the photo above.  I am debating about chopping them right off.  You can swap the struts driver to passenger side which will also alleviate the issue.  I took the car for a spin around the block, doing some slow turns, did not hear the bushings binding at all.  What a change from the subaru sway bars that needed to be greased and have teflon to stop the clunk and squeeking.  I am sure this will make some noise as the bushings set.

I would have changed the oil at the same time, but I screwed up and did not order my oil in time.  This year I am going to put in Amsoil Signature series 10w-30.  Ordered from a local distributor and it probably should get here Tuesday or Wednesday.

Finally, some photos of the cleaned up garage.  Mind you it is a work in progress, I need some cabinets, wall hangers, and work space and tool chest.  Those jobs are all in the next month or two.

So, oil change later this week.  I will also clean the soft top and treat it.  The car is likely going to sit for the next week anyway, so it should give it lots of time to cure on the softtop when I do it later this week.  First event is two weeks away, the weather is looking like it will be close to 10 degrees, fingers crossed.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2016, 07:42:32 pm »
Oh, and my wife has our son calling the car Bianca.  Every time he has gotten in the van since the car got here on saturday he has been saying "daddy car, 'anca'"

It has been fun the watch.  He came over to the car, stared for a bit, and gave his thumb up of approval.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »
Need to get a picture of that thumb up!

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2016, 08:26:01 pm »
I would do the same thing if I saw your car somewhere!

The Karcepts swaybar is a nice piece! How do you like it?

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2016, 08:28:18 pm »
Forgot to mention that the owner of the local Honda dealer has 2 S2000 CRs.  One one yellow and one in white.  So they regularly stock parts for the s2k locally.  The owner of the dealership regularly takes them to the track.  I have yet to meet the owner, but he is very active on the local s2ki forum.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2016, 10:00:59 pm »
Super nice garage, dude. Good choices.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2016, 08:16:20 am »
Ugh. I hate mike so much right now. He knows why.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2016, 11:01:49 am »
Well, while I was under the car yesterday I noticed some clips were missing.  Also, that I was missing one of the front splash guards.  I am a bit particular about the car so I took a quick trip over to the dealer, parts should be in on Thursday.  Will get them on while changing the oil.

Also, I had been searching for a place to buy magnetic autocross numbers but the pricing has not been good.  As I was walking out of the dealership I noticed a screen printing place, and went in to ask for pricing.  They were not too happy when I wanted a small order, so I said to give me two sets of 0-9 and two BS in the appropriate sizing.  I am getting those two full sets of numbers and letters for both sides for less than 3 digit numbers from other companies online.

Hopefully the number and letters turn out ok when I pick them up.  They could not cut individual letters, so it will be bright orange on a black background, and they will cut them square.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2016, 11:17:22 am »
Well, while I was under the car yesterday I noticed some clips were missing.  Also, that I was missing one of the front splash guards.

I thought I mentioned about that missing splash guard when we were on this roof...

Face Value
by Jonny W, on Flickr

... there was something missing under the driver's side of the bumper. 

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2016, 11:58:17 am »
I thought I mentioned about that missing splash guard when we were on this roof...

Oh yes, you did.  After that I took the other splash guard off to balance it out shortly after that.  After getting under the car yesterday I noticed that I was missing 5 clips and decided to just go ahead and order 2 new splash guards at the same time.  You know, because the old one that I still have is faded and won't match.

The splash guard, and the fender liner were both damaged last year in Calgary in my back alley.  After they grated they left a few huge boulders sticking up one of which I hit and destroyed the splash guard and fender liner.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2016, 06:59:33 pm »
I really should consider finding a car to autocross that I care less about.  $100 in clips and 2 splash guards later.  Not that this was as a result of autocross, yet, but it is certainly not a good signal when I am that concerned about the plastic undercarriage.

Now to try and find some time to get this on and complete the oil change in time for Sunday.  Probably going to have to be Thursday night because busy the next few nights and wife is in exams Friday night and Saturday. The only thing not cooperating is the weather

That is the weather in Sarnia, where the venue is for this weekend.  I was looking at the weather forecast in Calgary, and man that is depressing.  It has been warmer in Calgary these past few years than in Southwestern Ontario.  That's pretty bad.

I really hope the warming trend happens by Sunday otherwise I don't think I want to bring the car out in that and I may have to skip the first event.  Just means I will have to do a few other events with other clubs this summer to feel like I got the full use in.

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2016, 07:47:36 pm »
Well the weather turned out as bad as I thought it would.  So, I did not bring the car up.  Lucky for me I had a fellow club member let me co-drive is BMW 328i xdrive wagon on all season run flat tires.  The morning was cold, 0 degrees but dry.  The best part was that the bimmer had heated seats and a heated steering wheel, and the gentleman was a classical music buff, so I almost felt like the Stig riding around, but without the good driving.  The afternoon brought snow and sleet:

Ended up placing 9th on the day, which is odd because I really took it easy on the car and was out there shaking the rust off, but everyone else was in the same boat I am sure.  results for the day

We had to shut down after lunch because the conditions were so bad.  We got a bunch of fun runs done in the snow, which started to feel like an ice-dice instead of autocross.  That 328i surprisingly wanted to oversteer in the snow, which was a lot of fun to drive and the dynamic control allowed the skid but corrected it before it was too late, not perfect, but better than most nannies I have experienced before.  I only recorded one run time from the afternoon.

The upside of the event is that I met two very knowledgeable S2000 owners that live in the Sarnia area.  They were very nice and helpful and offered to assisted with the rear axle nut retorqing, that is a common issue with bearings on the AP2 and the valve adjustment for the exhaust valves, another known issue.  Going to do that probably just before the next event on May 8, hopefully one of which is much warmer than this.

I guess this club lost this lot about 8 years ago and everyone remembers it.  It was due to random people in the area coming in and doing donuts while we were there and not there and the owner not being happy about it in general and wanted to maintain a good relationship with his neighbors.  Guess what happens at 8am that morning, some random 5 liltre 80's mustang pulls in about 100 metres away and does a bunch of random donuts in the parking lot.  Here's to hoping that we can police it better this time because this facility is fantastic.  I will try to get some pictures of it next time because I was too lazy and it was too cold to take the photos this time.

Certainly missed Rathburn out there yesterday and everyone else also!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2016, 07:50:51 pm »
Not much of a sandwich without Rath.

Can organizers invite police to these events?

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2016, 08:02:51 pm »
Ended up placing 9th on the day, which is odd because I really took it easy on the car and was out there shaking the rust off, but everyone else was in the same boat I am sure.  results for the day

Being smooth can be better than over-driving, especially when it's slick out & takes longer to recover grip.  You're still a way away from being "at the limit" either way. (And it's safer in a borrowed car)

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2016, 08:07:22 pm »
Not much of a sandwich without Rath.

Can organizers invite police to these events?

We can, and there was actually an officer there for a while.  That is an excellent suggestion still!

Being smooth can be better than over-driving, especially when it's slick out & takes longer to recover grip.  You're still a way away from being "at the limit" either way.

Good point.  I was certainly not thinking of it that way when I was driving.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2016, 08:34:49 am »
What's up with the guys running 200-plus second times?  :o

Is 200 the penalty for DNF?