Author Topic: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)  (Read 33341 times)

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: tperkins' Evo 3, 6, 7 (and 5 RIP) (and Starion RIP)
« Reply #950 on: May 04, 2023, 10:17:54 am »
Also frigged around with the cars,

Bought additional car storage, so moved the 3 and 6 into there. That was a production.

Took them all for a little drive to get the fluids moving around, get the brakes moving, clutches blah blah.

Moved the OG Advans from the 6 on to the 7, I actually like it a lot.

The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Car Enthusiast, Unenthusiastic.
    • Teknique Auto Innovations
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #951 on: May 04, 2023, 11:17:18 am »
LOVE  O0
Teknique Auto Innovations
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta
Tekniqueman on VinWiki and Instagram

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #952 on: May 04, 2023, 04:49:12 pm »
LOVE  O0

But which is your favourite 
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1995 Nissan Skyline GTR, 2012 Audi S4 6MT, 2012 Subaru STI Hatch, 2004 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe
« Reply #953 on: May 04, 2023, 04:58:12 pm »
The VII, you know this, I know this.

I miss my VIII

I really want a IX
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #954 on: May 04, 2023, 05:27:34 pm »
The VII, you know this, I know this.

I miss my VIII

I really want a IX

Lol yeah I was wondering if that changed. The best one is the 6.

Scoop up a JDM 9 while you can.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #955 on: May 10, 2023, 08:10:13 am »
Edit, please listen to this while reading. If you are reading it, its also you:

Well, friends, I uh… don’t really know. I think it’s kind of the end of an era, the site is dead. There’s like me and a few other people posting and now I am having a hard time logging in from a desktop. I used to keep it updated even though there wasn’t much engagement just in the event of selling a car then I’d link my thread, say “here’s everything I know about it” and that was easy. For a while now it has been behind a membership, which doesn’t really help that but a few people said they still read it so I would keep it updated for them.

I miss forums, i miss the accessibility of forums and how if you had a weird little problem either people would work together to help you, or some guy on the forum already solved and documented everything there. That’s big time lacking in Facebook, Instagram and discord for me, so not saying I’ll just quit posting here, but if you’d like to also follow along I have a thread on Grassroots Motorsports.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/tperkins-mitsubishi-descent-into-madness-evo-3-6-7-starion-and-pajero/191438/page1/

It’s a bit more active there, but nobody really cares there either.

Anywho, from here out I don’t know how active I’ll be, but it has been fun. Joined WSC with my old JDM GC8 over 12 years ago and learned a lot from everyone, grew as a car enthusiast and a lot of that was facilitated here. Even when everyone was hating on JDM’s lol. Thanks for being a part of it.

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #956 on: May 10, 2023, 04:51:43 pm »
Anywho, from here out I don’t know how active I’ll be, but it has been fun.

It's been a good run. I've always enjoyed reading your updates, even if I couldn't provide any level of insight or support. Here's to hoping that you still provide any major updates for those of us who aren't crossing over to other forums. But if there's one thing I do know, it's that you can't just leave without sending us off with one last thumb pic.

2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #957 on: May 10, 2023, 09:59:34 pm »
Agreeance and acceptance.

The era ended years ago, I blame Subaru for making boring cars.

I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #958 on: May 11, 2023, 08:48:09 am »
It's been a good run. I've always enjoyed reading your updates, even if I couldn't provide any level of insight or support. Here's to hoping that you still provide any major updates for those of us who aren't crossing over to other forums. But if there's one thing I do know, it's that you can't just leave without sending us off with one last thumb pic.

I can keep just copy / pasting from GRM as long as I can actually log in, but sounds like some day that will become an issue.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2023, 10:35:13 pm »
I was idly wondering how big a complete mirror of WSC would be...

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #960 on: May 14, 2023, 10:06:04 am »
I was idly wondering how big a complete mirror of WSC would be...

Probably not too bad, if the database was regularly compressed and cleaned up.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #961 on: May 16, 2023, 11:10:25 pm »
I too have always appreciated your updates.

You're right that the forum userbase has steadily declined over the years and has really only been a handful of us over the past 3-5 years. Unfortunately with the state of the world, the economy, the emergence of facebook/instagram/discord, people just don't have nearly as much money to spend on their cars and they don't feel like sharing as much anymore. This used to and still will be a place I come to for info (both from my own previous research as well as others), and I hope to still see build threads pop up here and there.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #962 on: May 17, 2023, 07:23:14 am »
I mean it's also exacerbated by users thinking they're banned because of IP whitelisting that's too narrow, hiding project threads/technical info behind a login, and a few other small things. But discord and FB were already doing a good job killing off forums anyways.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Hawkeye
« Reply #963 on: May 17, 2023, 05:38:58 pm »
I mean it's also exacerbated by users thinking they're banned because of IP whitelisting that's too narrow, hiding project threads/technical info behind a login, and a few other small things. But discord and FB were already doing a good job killing off forums anyways.

If you have issues this isn't the place for it so lets keep threads on topic and clean please.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #964 on: May 18, 2023, 01:34:36 pm »
If you have issues this isn't the place for it so lets keep threads on topic and clean please.

Don't take it personally Firebane. We appreciate the work you put into keeping this place alive.   I don't think LDS' comment was a jab at you.

Also, if you saw Travis' undies, you'd know he's not one who cares about keeping things clean.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #965 on: May 19, 2023, 11:35:20 am »
Evo 7 AYC/ACD pump came in, found that one solenoid had snapped off in shipping. Company shipped a new one, got that installed, then installed the pump back into the car. In the process of bleeding it, I found that the other solenoid was leaking. I assumed it was the o ring, took it out, replaced that, re-installed it, re-bled it... then noticed it was still leaking. Removed it AGAIN to find that yup, the other solenoid had also broken.

Installed

Bleed box hooked up, I bought this one off a guy for too much as it turns out this is a cheap copy. You should only run the pump 5 seconds at a time, while doing so it smoked that on button. I ended up having to jumper it to get the pump running, and jumper the other buttons which were also garbage. It actually started smoking, so that is nice.

The crack I hadn't noticed that was leaking.

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #966 on: May 19, 2023, 01:05:16 pm »
sounds frustrating  ;)
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #967 on: May 19, 2023, 07:28:55 pm »
How common is that and can I pay for lathe to repair them?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #968 on: May 20, 2023, 11:40:37 am »
They break in shipping all the time hah, other than that they don’t really. There are already a few options available for replacements.

New solenoid is on the way.

I should say again, this rebuild was like 1/3 to 1/4 the price of a new pump

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #969 on: May 23, 2023, 09:53:01 am »
Took the 6 and 7 to a local meet in the smoke. 

Offline STI 2NV

• Vendor
  • Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #970 on: May 23, 2023, 11:04:26 am »
You know you're serious when you show up to a meet with two personal cars!!!!!
780-980-3006
#103 7611 Sparrow Drive
Leduc Alberta

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #971 on: May 23, 2023, 11:35:16 am »
You know you're serious when you show up to a meet with two personal cars!!!!!

Lol yeah, my poor girlfriend. She puts up with it and drives one, and she is a very cautious, careful driver. I trust her with my cars maybe more than anyone haha.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #972 on: May 24, 2023, 01:26:32 pm »

New solenoid was expedited to me, installed it, everything seems to click but I don't think the bleed box is working. It actually started smoking, so I have a new one on the way. Its either that or the pump has some issues and isn't pushing pressure (whether that is because the pump plate was damaged from residual media blasting, got burned out [I was only running it for 4-5 seconds at a time so I doubt that's the case] or the bleed box just isn't working [smoke usually isn't a good sign of things working well]) is too be determined.

For now, at least I have the pump in place, no more leaks, and can drive the car around.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #973 on: September 29, 2023, 10:22:08 am »
So fun story, new bleed box arrived couldn’t get it to bleed. Sent the pump back under warranty, months later they fixed it and didn’t really say what was wrong, but I installed it and everything is working great. First time the ayc has worked since reaching Canadian soil.

Another fun story,

Back in 2014 I bought an evo 5 at auction, my exporter and I wanted one with a little less rust, sent it back to auction. The guy I sold it to at auction actually responded to pajero for sale ad, asked for more pictures, noticed an evo in one of the shots and said oh I have an evo as well. He sent me a picture and I recognized those wheels immediately and asked when he got it, turns out it’s the exact car I sold him and I said I’ll sell you pajero and take those wheels on a partial trade (always liked them). So 9 years later they returned to me lol.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #974 on: October 08, 2023, 01:18:17 pm »
Evo 7 getting some attention. Had the underside dry ice blasted, rust encapsulated, painted, then honey coated.

Beforehand

After

Out for a rip