Author Topic: 2.5 Impreza to Outback swap help  (Read 1259 times)

Offline daniel

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon
2.5 Impreza to Outback swap help
« on: May 21, 2015, 08:14:35 am »
I just bought an 06 outback for $7G. Good deal I thought. I drove it for a while and everything was fine. Then I changed the oil.....
Now I have a small knock when I drive. Nothing at idle, just when accelerating. I contacted the guy I bought it from and he said he knows nothing... Right....
anyway I need to find an engine for this thing. Its almost impossible to find anything out here in Saskatoon, but I have found a few Impreza's with good engines. I know they are a Japanese engine and a few things are different but I am not sure exactly what is different. Can anyone help by letting me know what needs to be changed to make it work or if it even will work?

I'm running 15w40 right now to keep it going. ;)

Thank you
If you never give up you can never fail.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
Re: 2.5 Impreza to Outback swap help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53:20 am »
Hi Daniel
I swapped a 2.5 legacy  dohc (99) into a 2.2 Impreza sohc (97) with no issues. I even left the intake from the 2.5 on the motor and the computer is happy. It's been a couple years and many many miles .. No issues.
Mechanically everything will be pretty straight forward. If you just keep your existing intake and change everything below that you should be fine (make sure the doner exhaust ports & intake ports are the same ).  I'm not too sure about the jdm differences maybe cam and crank sensors?