Author Topic: Rotella T6 for high mileage? Which oil filter?  (Read 6917 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Rotella T6 for high mileage? Which oil filter?
« on: May 28, 2015, 02:39:56 pm »
Hey all,

Did some searching on here and Nasioc. Got an idea where everything is on my Spec B, so just need oil and a filter.

My car has 197k km. Is http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rotella-t6-5w-40-5l/6000016950376 still one of the better options for high mileage, or should I be looking at something else? I see others also mention T5 and Motul. I bought the car off a HD mechanic who swore by Amsoil synthetics and that's all that's been used in it for the past 4yr/100k. I don't know exactly which kind he used though.

I know it's beating a dead horse, couldn't find what would be best at higher mileage.

Last is which oil filter to use. I searched on here (really wish result were chronological, especially in the FS threads) and saw one thread which mentioned only using OEM filters. Do all of you who change your own oil go to Subaru just for your filter?

Also, anyone using a Fumoto Oil Drain Valve? Wondering if it's worth picking one up. I only put about 6-7k km on it a year so not sure if it's worth it for either car.

Thanks

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
Re: Rotella T6 for high mileage? Which oil filter?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 04:53:47 pm »
Rotella T6, and NAPA gold filters worked for me.

All of my cars have the Fumoto valves.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline HiTempguy

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1993 Legassy Tubr0/1995 STi
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 07:39:05 pm »
Personally, in my unprofessional opinion, oil is oil (for a daily driver).

Run any synthetic you want, change it regularly, and make sure its the right weight for your car. Most damage to engines is done on cold start (especially important when it gets below 0*C) so I would argue run the thinnest oil you can get away with.

Now, having said that, a big reason for running Rotella is that it is an oil designed for diesels. This is nice for the following reasons:

1) Diesel engines typically have longer oil change interval requirements (ie: trucking industry). The oil is "engineered" with this in mind, however, those long intervals can probably be chocked up to the sheer amount of oil (20+ litres) found in the sump.

2) Diesel engine oils have ZDDP/zinc in them still which is a great molecule for protecting from metal on metal contact under extreme pressure. This product has been removed from car engine oils as it is a pollutant. It also may have finally been removed from diesel engine oil, or the change is coming.

3) Focusing on the diesel aspect, the oil is designed to deal with high heat, heavy load applications (big ol' turbo diesel semis).

Having said all that, Shell recently released a T6 Rotella that is 0w40 and that is what I'd go with. I run Rotella in everything (cars, trucks, rally car, road race car) and so far, things are looking good.

A great example of how proper maintenance is more important than "quality" of oil though is BobIsTheOilGuy. Way back in the day, they received a BRAND NEW Camaro SS off the showroom floor. They put over 20,000 miles on it (32k kms), never doing anything further than changing the oil filter at the extended interval suggestions and topping the motor up with the oil lost in doing so. They used the correct weight mobil1 synthetic. Sent oil samples off every filter change. The oil literally didn't wear out in that time. Modern day cars have such good machining practices/sealing inside the engine with such little blowby/leakdown, you don't get nearly the contaminants in the oil. Combine that with much tighter control of engine temperatures/startup and warm up procedures, and you don't get acidic buildup in the oil nearly as much nowadays.

My current daily driver 2004 gmc 1500 has 415k kms on it. Makes 20psi of oil pressure at idle, goes up to 45psi when revving it up. Truck runs like its brand friggin new. Has had regular oil changes at 7k to 10k kms, all mobil1 synthetic, usually crappy fram filters. My dad did the same thing with his 96 gmc 1500 (600k kms on original motor). My 93 had 320k kms on it and only burnt a "teenie" bit of oil, but it was used and abused. I do 10k km oil change intervals, rallycar is every 2 events due to how badly the cyclic idle washes down the cylinders (the oil thins drastically due to how much gas collects in it, smells like a gallon of VP race fuel when I change it).

So yea... hope that helps  ;) TL;DR is use any synthetic (even cheap crappy Canadian Tire stuff) and whatever filter you want. Change every 10k kms or sooner. Your motor will likely run forever at that point if it doesn't have prior damage/extensive wear.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 09:27:21 pm »
Shell has had 0w40 T6 for years. I've used it for a few oil changes. So far, the analyses come back solid. I do have two more I need to send in. One has 8000 miles on it.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »
I run amsoil 0w 3,  and have the fumoto drain valve in my Car. Have had it for about 4 years now with 0 issues. I love it. Will recommend to anyone. No worries about drain plug gaskets or if it's tight enough. Little to no risk of damaged threads during frequent oil changes. Quick,  easy and clean.

As for oil filters I use Bosch. Easy to get for me.

The oil I chose is based on the butt dyno. I've tried many different brands of oil and ended up with amsoil. Car feels like it's happier With amsoil compared to royal purple, total,  Mobil 1, redline,  pennzoil,  castrol, and Valvoline. Doubt it actually makes that much of a difference though

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 02:14:39 pm »
Thanks all, I think I'll try the 0w40 T6, since it is my winter car. I'll get to it at some point this summer, I'm not driving it right now anyway. I'll make sure to grab some crush washers when I get the oil/filter.

Should probably do a change on the s2k shortly, it only has a couple hundred km on it but it was done in December before going into storage. From what I've read, won't it break down over that time, or is that just BS?

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 04:31:14 am »
Im pretty sure rotella no longer has zddp/zinc. The "rules" got changed for diesel engines too. My flat tappet stroker now requires a specific racing oil, or adding a additive to keep things happy.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 01:16:26 pm »
Just picked a filter up from Calgary Subaru. I was a little hesitant because the guy didn't seem to know which filter it was, and it ended with 12A where most of what I seen ended with 100. Looked it up online and it seems to be correct, bust have been a supersession part. Time to buy some oil!

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 04:38:59 pm »
Some will argue subaru filters are good enough to be used by subaru with subaru warranty.
Others will argue they are garbage Fram filters that you should stay away from.
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=33725.0

Napa gold for 2.5L turbo
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=31677.0

Justify whichever one you want in whichever way allows you to sleep better at night.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02:44 am »
Hey Coop,

I've tried Lucas (0w40), Mobil1 (5w30), and Rotella (0w40) in my Spec B and Rotella has burned the least, followed by Mobil1.
As for the filter, I've tried both Subaru OEM and Wix.... can't really tell a difference... if anyone has advice for a filter, I'd be open to suggestions, too...

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Ride: C6
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:11 am »
From my experiences OEM filters are typically the best quality. I think i saw an article somewehre that was saying ford motocraft were among the better for filtration. Try to stay away from brands such as partsmaster, fram, canadian tire motorcraft, k&n, amsoil, mobil1, purolator

HKS make filters also, i havent heard anything bad other than thefact they require your first born and right nut to purchase. AC delco are decent for an aftermarket as well, for a cheaper alternative to oem. WIX/napa gold would be the one I use in a bind and not feel TOO guilty about absolute crap.

Im trying to find the part number for a larger oem subaru filter so i can compare and see if it will fit, more surface area the better.

Is there more literature that supports the use of diesel oil in a gasoline engine? All the googling ive done has emails from shell stating not to use it? In my eyes the detergents and additives are way to powerful to be in a gasoline engine

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:39:14 am »
From my experiences OEM filters are typically the best quality. I think i saw an article somewehre that was saying ford motocraft were among the better for filtration. Try to stay away from brands such as partsmaster, fram, canadian tire motorcraft, k&n, amsoil, mobil1, purolator

HKS make filters also, i havent heard anything bad other than thefact they require your first born and right nut to purchase. AC delco are decent for an aftermarket as well, for a cheaper alternative to oem. WIX/napa gold would be the one I use in a bind and not feel TOO guilty about absolute crap.

Im trying to find the part number for a larger oem subaru filter so i can compare and see if it will fit, more surface area the better.

Is there more literature that supports the use of diesel oil in a gasoline engine? All the googling ive done has emails from shell stating not to use it?

So basically, all the commonly available aftermarket filter makers, including big names like K&N, are crap? I'd like some actual data for that.

People have been running Rotella in Subarus for years. I used it for at least 3 years in my STI. The used oil analyses are on here for all to see. There are lots more on bobtheoilguy.com. Miata racers are starting to use it as well.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 09:07:26 am »
Ive had majority of them cut apart for analyzing not so healthy engines, and curiosity. The cheaper of the aftermarket ie purolator was essentially craft paper inside... I had a partsmaster crumble into dust. Just as examples of the extremes
Talk amongst other techs and instructors have filled gaps and backed up my findings

I was surprised too with k&n, i didnt want to believe it so i started researching....didnt prove me wrong. I wont even run their air filters if i can avoid it after what ive seen through the diesel world. Im sure I'll catch heat for saying that, but I was disgusted with what they let thru. Now before anyone says "oh well it was just dirty" yes, it was....after it was cleaned and properly oiled lol.

Vehicle manufacturers have essentially "copyrights" on their filters, and aftermarket companies can only go so far to duplicate. Others will fluff their feathers to look better, and argue they're the best. Push comes to shove vehicle maufacturers have the more expensive test facilities and no reasons to extrapolate data for the sole purpose of selling more product. Others i think just show up and throw itshay together during arts and crafts time and label it an oil filter.
Use my info how you may, I am merely providing food for thought given the findings I've encountered. Not looking for an arguement or stabbing any egos, just sharing what I've seen in my travels. I dont care which one ya wanna use lol, my opinion is not better than anyone elses but if i can help at least one person decide ive done my job  ^-^

I am quite intrigued by the rotella, especially cuz its cheap as borsch haha. Guess i will have to give it a go next oil change.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 09:18:56 am »
Ive had majority of them cut apart for analyzing not so healthy engines, and curiosity. The cheaper of the aftermarket ie purolator was essentially craft paper inside... I had a partsmaster crumble into dust. Just as examples of the extremes
Talk amongst other techs and instructors have filled gaps and backed up my findings

Vehicle manufacturers have essentially "copyrights" on their filters, and aftermarket companies can only go so far to duplicate. Others will fluff their feathers to look better, and argue they're the best. Push comes to shove vehicle maufacturers have the more expensive test facilities and no reasons to extrapolate data for the sole purpose of selling more product. Others i think just show up and throw itshay together during arts and crafts time and label it an oil filter.
Use my info how you may, I am merely providing food for thought given the findings I've encountered. Not looking for an arguement or stabbing any egos, just sharing what I've seen in my travels. I dont care which one ya wanna use lol, my opinion is not better than anyone elses but if i can help at least one person decide ive done my job  ^-^

I am quite intrigued by the rotella, especially cuz its cheap as borsch haha. Guess i will have to give it a go next oil change.

I want actual filtering data. Subjective "this one looked crappy" really isn't enough for me. Presumably, you're not an oil filter designer/engineer so I don't exactly put a whole lot of weight into you looking at one and determining its quality.

That's not how copyright works. First, it's not copyright. Copyright protects works like books, songs, plays, etc. Second, copyright doesn't give you an absolute right to preclude anyone from doing what you're doing. Copyright prevents people from copying your work. If two people come up with similar works independently, they both get protection.

OEM doesn't mean it's designed by OEM.  They outsource. Ever look at your seat belt? There's a good chance it says Takata on it somewhere. The same is true of the oil filter. It's designed and built by a third party for the OEM. I wouldn't be shocked if one of the companies you listed as as a poor producer actually makes the OEM filter.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 09:26:39 am »
like i said, use it how you may. Never claimed to be a filter designer, engineer or scientist. Just one dumb tech sharing what ive found with other dumb techs, to you guys.  Cuz we arent the ones who see it every day, build engines for you the customer etc etc. I am skilled enough to know, as well as my colleagues to know a rubbish filter from a good one.  Yes there are bad techs out there. The ones you know you and trust, you'll spend countless dollars on their knowledge and expertise with things that put your life in their hands.

Not telling anyone to buy one and not the other.

Dont like it thats fine. Like i also said, i couldnt give any less of a uckfay what yall do. Just wanted to share some food for thought, not start a keyboard battle. I did care enough to share with the group something I know, and you wanna shut it down thats fine too.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 10:23:45 am »
I'm not trying to be mean, but this and other forums are filled with people who claim some degree of expertise, and then tout an opinion as if it were fact that doesn't have any independent objective evidence. A supposed "expert" denounced Rotella early on, said he had years of building engines experience to back it up, yet the objective evidence says he's wrong. That's what I want to see when a factual claim is made; objective evidence.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 01:16:52 pm »
Didn't read through all of those but, AFAIK, car manufacturers don't make their own filters. For example, Mann makes the bmw ones. If you look closely enough you might actually see the Mann logo on there. Same goes for hengst, or probably most others. So as for copyright, I think it belongs to whoever has the contract at the time

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '10 FXT & the (late) Thugeye
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 01:17:18 pm »
Is there still something to be said of the black filters, specifically the one on the left the Roki made 15208AA160?

Either way, I know that some of these have been regarded higher than the little blue ones when it comes to OEM products. I don't believe any are available from dealerships in Canada though.
entities must not be multiplied beyond necessity

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 01:18:33 pm »
I heard that you can use the black ones from the later RX-8?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 01:31:23 pm »
I heard that you can use the black ones from the later RX-8?

Never heard of this, would they be readily available in a cost competitive fashion? I've picked up 18 filters a few years back when I was in Bellevue but I'm getting nervous as I only have half a dozen left.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 01:39:50 pm »
Never heard of this, would they be readily available in a cost competitive fashion? I've picked up 18 filters a few years back when I was in Bellevue but I'm getting nervous as I only have half a dozen left.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=35733.0
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline honz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 02:24:33 pm »
http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=35733.0

Wow, awesome information! Thanks! I wonder if that is identical to the tall 15208AA160 filter then.

Offline wrx-zrx

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2007 STI
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
I have been using the RX-8 filters since Delphiwrx posted that info.
In stock and available every time I have gone into the Mazda service department for one.

Offline BuzSTid

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 03:56:53 pm »
FYI
this filter (rx8) doesn't work with a holy header

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 08:47:19 pm »
all my personal research was from cutting filters to determine engine failures, never was a cut new filter. Seeing how the majority held up to time was my basis of judgement. Could i be wrong in my findings, absolutely lol. But having a filter media turn to dust or seeing what looked like erosion kinda puts the cherries on top. I dont want to run crap either just like the rest of you hahah. Im passionate about the trade, and im happy that everyone here is good itshay and pretty much get along with everyone here. Id never purposely lead you astray if i wouldnt do it myself. I want whats best for everyone too, i dont have fancy micron testing etc but ive seen some gnarly itshay lol

I do know that if you like k&n filters, buy mobil1 instead i believe theyre a tad cheaper yet are damn near identical coming from the same manufacturer. You just wont get the nut on the end

The rx8 topic shoulda been brought up at the beginning! frick

Safe to say Rotella T6 and 2009 rx8 N3R1 14 302 filters ftw?