Author Topic: DIY: License Plate Delete  (Read 2117 times)

Offline BrebSTi

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Layla ('06 STi) - SOLD
DIY: License Plate Delete
« on: June 01, 2015, 08:47:20 pm »
2006 WRX STi(Or any other vehicle) DIY License Plate Delete

First DIY, so here goes:

What you will need:
-   1/16th inch thickness Plexiglass(your choice on the thickness)
-   Two license plate screws
-   Square
-   Measuring tape
-   Exacto knife
-   Sandpaper/sanding block
-   Drill and bits
-   Spray Paint
IMG_1343 by Marc Brebber, on Flickr

1)   Measure the dimensions on the car and draw out the template on a piece of cardboard, showing the length, height and placement of the holes(Use top and side edge as references for distance). Depending on your make and model of vehicle or personal preference on size the template will vary. I measured mine to edge of the most raised portion of the license plate holder.
IMG_1341 by Marc Brebber, on Flickr

2)   Leaving the sticky protective film on the plexiglass, draw out the exact measurements using a pen and a square too ensure edges are straight, measure twice  or else you might have to redo yours like I did.

3)   Using the square and the exacto knife cut the line into the plexi glass. Put lots of pressure on the square to make sure it doesn’t move while you are making your cut. I did not do this, but I would recommend making the cut all the way across the plexi glass sheet to make the following step more precise.

4)   Flip the sheet over and place pressure on the cut and it should break along the line if your cut was deep enough and magic you have a rectangle shaped like a $70 license plate delete.
IMG_1342 by Marc Brebber, on Flickr

5)   Line up the clear rectangle with the plate holder to make sure the holes you marked are in the right location – adjust if necessary.

6)   Drill the holes out a fraction of a size larger than the plate screws.

7)   Sand the edges so they are smooth and round and round the corners for smooth look.

8 )   Remove the plastic protection film. Hang the template by one of the holes and spray paint a colour of your choosing along with the screw heads.

9)   Install on vehicle.

This with the spray paint which you can use multiple times on other projects should only cost you about $15 to $20 and I got everything from Home Depot. It was an easy DIY that only took about 20 to 30 min if you don’t include the paint dry time. See for yourself!
IMG_1358 by Marc Brebber, on Flickr

Comments are welcome on my first post. I think I could have used more pictures.