Author Topic: 10secdream's 2015 CWP WRX - Sold  (Read 112375 times)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
Re: 10secdream's 2015 WRX - So New, So Fresh
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2015, 09:35:26 am »
Tonight I decided to tackle installing the newly acquired parts. Overall everything was really easy to install with the included instructions.

I am really happy with the Perrin shifter bushing and shift stop. Those 2 parts completely transform the dull shifter on the wrx.

Yeah, I really have to get around to installing that bushing on my car. Was it a pain to get that plate off to access it? The shift stop helps as well? I was kinda hesitant about ordering that one, but I may pick it up. Seems like it'll only take about 20 minutes to install. Do you have a short throw shifter of any kind?
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
Re: 10secdream's 2015 WRX - Installed some parts
« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2015, 09:45:18 am »
Both parts were really easy to install. The Perrin instructions are very specific and have pictures to walk you through the install. The hardest part of the install was put the new bushing on the linkage on the shaft. I ended up putting the linkage on the shaft first without the bushing inserted and then I put the bushing on the shaft and into the linkage.

The bushing really helps make the shifts solid and crisp. A little more effort is required but overall I am happy with the results.

The shifter stop was easy to install but took longer to install than the bushing because you need to fine tune the adjustment. The factory wrx shifter requires a large amount of side shift for neutral to 1/2 or from neutral to 5/6. Essentially this takes all of that movement out making it easier to get into the right gear.

Currently I am using the stock throw shifter. I thought about adding a short shifter (thinking it would help) but the shifter mods helped with the feel and engagement. A slightly shorter throw would be nice but for now I will just leave it as is.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
Mudflaps installed. 8)

2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2015, 10:10:15 am »
And so it begins....
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2015, 10:19:12 am »
So much for keeping the car stock....
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 10:25:41 am »
Both parts were really easy to install. The Perrin instructions are very specific and have pictures to walk you through the install. The hardest part of the install was put the new bushing on the linkage on the shaft. I ended up putting the linkage on the shaft first without the bushing inserted and then I put the bushing on the shaft and into the linkage.

The bushing really helps make the shifts solid and crisp. A little more effort is required but overall I am happy with the results.

The shifter stop was easy to install but took longer to install than the bushing because you need to fine tune the adjustment. The factory wrx shifter requires a large amount of side shift for neutral to 1/2 or from neutral to 5/6. Essentially this takes all of that movement out making it easier to get into the right gear.

Currently I am using the stock throw shifter. I thought about adding a short shifter (thinking it would help) but the shifter mods helped with the feel and engagement. A slightly shorter throw would be nice but for now I will just leave it as is.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've got the STI kit installed already, so it's not quite as sloppy as the stock one was, but there is definitely too much side to side play.

RB's look good, now get rid of that weedy, pea-shooter looking exhaust!
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 10:35:07 am »
All in good time. I need to let my bank account recoupe after this past week. I always forgot how many necessary accessories are required for a new vehicle.

Next mods will be tint and a front lip.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2015, 01:42:49 pm »
Get a light bar.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
« Reply #58 on: June 26, 2015, 01:58:55 pm »

Offline whyte

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 wrx
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2015, 06:56:33 am »
excellent pick up!!
Welcome to the niche world of the fa20f where people think your car sounds funny and the exhaust systems are way to expensive!
as for short throws right now I have only found one, the boomba and it looks like a pain, requires a full removal and disassembly of the shifter assembly!
perrin also has an option in the form of an adapter, but it seems a little pricey!

and plus 1 for car pretty, Derek is killing the film game!
you're going to need a tune

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2015, 07:47:52 am »
Quick little update but I finally got a chance to do some detailing last night. I ended up washing and decontaminating the vehicle, cleaned up the engine bay, applied CarPro Forte to the exterior glass, completely coated the entire wheel in Cquartz Dlux and coated the front end in Cquartz UK.

The bad news is that I already have a small hole in the clear film. :( Also these late nights are killing me when the little ones wake up at 7am.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2015, 07:56:49 am »
WRX getting lathered in foam.

Wheels post Cquartz Dlux and 3 coats of Tufshine Tire Clearcoat

Tuna inspired engine bay shot after detail

Wonderful beads from this morning

2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2015, 08:53:48 am »

Tuna inspired engine bay shot after detail

This message gladdens the Tuna heart

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: beat up BD
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2015, 01:18:36 pm »
Super sunk.

Ideal fitment is 18x9.5 +38mm ish.

Hey 10sec I would suggest some detailed measurements before you pull the trigger on wheels, although fitment is highly subjective my measurements suggested that the '15 has significantly less roomy wheel wells than previous gens.

Like I said when I picked up the RA flaps from you I wanted white, nice choice. The DGM is growing on me.

Oh and plus 2 for CarPretty did my film last winter.

Offline Rad_Racer

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Lexus IS-F
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2015, 03:19:49 pm »

Hey 10sec I would suggest some detailed measurements before you pull the trigger on wheels, although fitment is highly subjective my measurements suggested that the '15 has significantly less roomy wheel wells than previous gens.

Does the WRX have less room than the STi? Tons of guys running 18x9.5 +38 on the '15 STi without issue.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2015, 03:21:15 pm »
The WRX and the STI should be identical. I was under the impression that for stock suspension (even lowered with a slight roll) that it will fit without a problem.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2015, 09:18:27 am »
Agree 15 wrx and sti should be the same. To be clear I'm not saying it won't fit just recommending that one measures for themselves.

The issue on the '15 is there is less room from the hub flange to the inner quarter lip. I read this on several sources one source in particular said that hub to fender on 09-14 was 110mm and 15 is now 70mm. I don't  remember the links as I did my wheel shopping last fall. I didnt measure a previous gen but my measurements and google image searches seem to confirm that there is less outboard room on the '15.

Check for yourself, stand a level vertically plumb against your fender/quarter (put a piece of tape on the level so that it doesn't scratch the paint) and then measure the distance inward to the wheel face (near the tire bead. Note the 15 stockers don't have a lip for weights) you will want to measure the top of the wheel since that's where the contact will take place and there is a surprising amount of stock camber in the rear. (The bottom of the wheel will be closer to the vertically plumb level than the top)

Ok so now you effectively have the distance for the outer wheel arch to the wheel face next you need to subtract for the inner wheel arch lip (the flange where the outer and inner are spot welded together). Measure the width of the flange, I recall it is nice and small but rolling will still offer some more room. I was not willing to roll, on a winter driven car, it's hard enough to keep rust at bay, without creating more tight little crevices.

Ok so the stock wheels are 17x8 +55. Most wheels are actually 1" wider than the tire mounting width. So an 8" wheel is actually 9" ... a 9.5" is 10.5" and so on. This has proved true of the wheels I have had over the years. So the stock wheel should have an approximate front spacing of 2.34" and a backspace of 6.66".

A 9.5" +38" wheel will have a front spacing of 3.76" and a back spacing of 6.74".

The '15 sti wheel is 8.5" +55 so ... F 2.59" R 6.91"

You can see that the back spacing will be fine as it is less than the sti stock wheel. In fact if your goal is to fit the maximum tire patch while keeping the offset as close to stock as possible I would push back more. The most back spacing i have seen is OZ 9" +55 which works out to R 7.16". With coilovers you could go further inward.

The front spacing is where opinion comes in.....

As you can see from the numbers above that a 9.5" +38 wheel will project 1.42" further from the hub than the stock 15 wrx wheel. I can't double check right now, but that is way more poke than I thought I could run without rolling the quarters and stretching tires.

As stated before "fit" is highly subjective and for the price of quality wheels these days it's important to get exactly what you want (look, contact patch, brake clearance). Using this method you can spec a F/R spacing calculate the offset and width and then go wheel shopping. I have found that excel is very helpful for narrowing your search.

(I know that this is common sense but I thought it might possibly help some wsc'er)

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2015, 03:58:13 pm »

I haven't looked at the install instructions yet, but do you think it would be possible to just cut the stock shifter and rethread for the knob. I did this on my BD but thinking with the reverse lockout on the 6spd not gonna work.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »
I would rather just buy the replacement piece that way I can return it back to stock at a future date if needed.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2015, 06:05:30 pm »
I would rather just buy the replacement piece that way I can return it back to stock at a future date if needed.

Yes good point ... Or 10-15yrs if you wanted to back stock you could pick up a used shifter from a wreaker for a 10th of the cost of an aftermarket one. And use the money today for something else ... like a pro tune, j-pipe, or brakes. I'm dying waiting to get rid of this throttle hang.

Offline Dr Beans

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 Canyon & 2001 STI
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2015, 12:58:06 pm »
If he owns this car for that long I'll be amazed haha

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2015, 01:55:16 pm »
I was about to say the same thing.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2015, 12:18:30 am »
 If that's the plan, it's definitely nice to have the stock parts and the option to sell as stock. And then sell the aftermarket stuff separately.

Where did you pick up the Perrin shifter bushing and stop? Seems like a great mod, the perrin site doesn't list any CDN dealers?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2015, 06:35:35 am »
I hope to keep the vehicle for many years but that never seems to happen.

I ended up buying the parts from Subispeed. You can get the parts in Canada but you need to special order them so it made no difference on price or delivery time.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline dudder

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2015, 08:37:46 am »
Thanks for the info.

Looks like kartboy is working on some shifter mods as well. Might be of interest ...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2641311&highlight=kartboy+2015+wrx&page=5

Despite subispeeds incredibly low shipping on the perrin stuff I'm gonna try to hold out to see what kartboy has up their sleeves in terms of a shifter ... Not sure about the transmission mounted counter weight, if I read that correctly.

They have released a bearing for the cable connection instead of the fancy o-ringed bushing. I like the simplicity of a bearing but in this instance the bushing might be the better solution. Depending on how much weather that connection sees I could see the outer race corroding in the linkage