Author Topic: SubMit86 2015 18 July  (Read 5640 times)

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
SubMit86 2015 18 July
« on: July 06, 2015, 12:37:04 AM »
Surprised this hasn't been created yet, but..
18 July is this years SubMit86 meet
Conglomeration of Subaru's, Mitsu's and Toyobarus..
Red Deer, Parkland mall
Prizes and such
https://www.facebook.com/events/1551220345138818/
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Re: SubMit86 2015 18 July
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 02:11:40 AM »
Link no worky.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 07:05:14 AM »
Same, figured it wasn't happening since there was no lead up. I guess it really isn't the WSC Supermeat anymore.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline funk32

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 07:16:30 AM »
So many people wanted to separate WSC from the meet last year so I guess that is why.

and the link works for me....  I am guessing because we are members of that FB event/group

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
I would be interested in checking out a meet and should be available that day.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 07:58:46 AM »
and the link works for me....  I am guessing because we are members of that FB event/group
Yeah I figured thats what it was.

This is the group here for others who aren't in it already: https://www.facebook.com/groups/638741579513606/

So many people wanted to separate WSC from the meet last year so I guess that is why.
Whats the background on this?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 08:18:56 AM »
A few years back (2-3 years) they ran a very successful WSC SuperMeat. We got spots at a mall, some sponsors and prizes, all was well.
The year after that, they wanted to open it up to the local Mitsubishi club, and the FT-86 club, rather than just WSC, but were still using the WSC name, and hosting it all under "WSC Supermeat".
Some of us (myself included), didn't like the idea, of potentially using the clubs name for non-club members (who knows how they'll act while representing WSC).
So we insisted it be separated from WSC. Thus "SubMit86" was born. I didn't realize this would mean an eventual exclusion for WSC members.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline funk32

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 08:20:08 AM »
what he said ^^^^ beat me to it.

maybe the reason is Jesse doesn't really come on here too often anymore due to his subaru being dead. The FB group has taken off with lots of members and figured word of mouth would spread into here since there are a fair amount of members of the group on this forum.

and it isn't a WSC event. I am sure if some wanted you could re-invigorate the WSC SuperMeet.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:43 AM »
Yeah I found the original thread where the situation went down.

From my perspective being comparatively new here reading it:

-Started out as a large WSC meet
-Some of the original organizers turned it into a multi car club meet
-At some point it became large enough to shift from a car meet to a car show and entry fees ensued but wasnt properly shown as such
-With the size of the meet and the random people now showing up so did the concern of asshats giving the meet/club a bad name
-Opinions were put across that it isnt a WSC meet anymore, and that it shouldn't be associated with it in case of asshattery.
-Opinions were brought up about it turning from a meet into a show, and disclosing the fees etc.
-Some of the organizers decided to take the input the wrong way and get salty over it
-Arguments from both sides ensued as a result
-And it seems like a bad taste was left in everyone's mouth

I'll probably go regardless assuming nothing comes up. Personally I have to side with the other WSC members on the concern of size and things that could go wrong and reflect negatively upon the community, and ensuring that the fees were well advertised. As for what the fees go towards, I don't care quite so much as long as a fair portion of it is indeed necessary.

Offline Jimpreza111

• beards comin in nice
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:09:40 AM »
Well how about we start a WSC Meet, and I'm all for the exotic locale. ;D
How about some place with a nice back drop? Badlands? Foothills?

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what happened but I was positive I posted an updated thread about the new meet details a few weeks ago when we got final confirmation that we could again use Parkland Mall as the meet site so my HUGE apologizes go out to everyone on WSC.

There is a lot of speculation as to what the hell did (is) happen(ing) so ill clear the air from my stand point and offer you folks a bit of an update. If I have quoted you this should not be seen as an attack or anything with bad intention its just easier to address legitimate concerns you and possibly the group have about a certain subject.

First off huge thanks to e13tankbuster for posting this thread and getting people talking (good or bad) about the meet this year and a big thanks to Funk32 for letting me know about the thread as well.

Same, figured it wasn't happening since there was no lead up. I guess it really isn't the WSC Supermeat anymore....
...So we insisted it be separated from WSC. Thus "SubMit86" was born. I didn't realize this would mean an eventual exclusion for WSC members.
-Some of the organizers decided to take the input the wrong way and get salty over it
-Arguments from both sides ensued as a result
-And it seems like a bad taste was left in everyone's mouth
While the SubMit 86 group/meet is a separate entity from WSC the spirit is still there Myself and a few other mods are originally from WSC and there is no intent at least from my perspective of cutting out WSC. Bigger and better turn out is best for everyone in the scene and I feel there is (was) no bad blood so to speak between WSC and the SubMit group.
After discusion with Mods from both WSC and mods/members from other groups such as YEG 86 and Alberta EVO and having both sides of the discussion presented it was felt that Yes this should be separated from the WSC supermeet as it seemed like it could potentially be a volatile situation as large meets can be.

maybe the reason is Jesse doesn't really come on here too often anymore due to his Subaru being dead. The FB group has taken off with lots of members and figured word of mouth would spread into here since there are a fair amount of members of the group on this forum.
This is exactly the reason and ill add to that a few other things like finishing school, getting married, and just life in general. This is why although I was 100% sure that I had posted something I guess I goofed and didn't. You know how it is ha ha.

As for what the fees go towards, I don't care quite so much as long as a fair portion of it is indeed necessary.
100% of all fees went directly to Youth Empowerment and Support Services this includes all raffle ticket sales, food sales, and entry tickets. Last years meet was very expensive for me lol.

First I'm hearing of this meat.  Figure it was dead, with how disorganized it was the last couple years.

Always open to ways we can improve! Last year was a bit of a cluster in the start do to early arrivals and not having everything set up when 50 cars started to show up at one time ha ha. The food ticket thing was a bit of a wreck and was mostly due to the way it was explained to me by AGLC on how we could collect money during the event with all the money still going to charity.

Well how about we start a WSC Meet, and I'm all for the exotic locale. ;D
How about some place with a nice back drop? Badlands? Foothills?
100% an awesome idea I spent some time in the badlands a few weeks ago and some really epic places to set up a meet if the members don't mind a bit of dust.

All in all the missing event page was a complete miss step on my part and in know way intended as an exclusion of anyone. This years event will be a bit different as the venue while still being in the same area has been changed slightly due to construction happening in the mall and the parking lot. Also there will be no entry fee this year however there will also not be a concession available at the meet due to extremely limited volunteers this year as well as cash flow. Prizes will not be a huge feature this year as well due to lack of sponsors for this event as well as lack of volunteers.

This years meet will be different format from last year as it will focus on once again being a meet and less of a car show so to speak where their would be a sense of friendly competition among members to win trophies. Again this is due in part to volunteers being in short supply as well as   myself not being able to fully commit myself as openly as last year due to work and project timelines.

We at the SubMit 86 group fully and openly welcome all members of all groups to come down and meet new people, absorb new ideas, check out some cool cars and have fun in the sun. However though's that are deemed to be acting in a disrespectful manner to fellow members, volunteers, mods, admins, property owners, general public, and law enforcement of any kind will be asked to leave and potentially banned from future events.

Sorry once again for any feelings of spite that this might have caused as this was not the intention.
Look forward to seeing everyone soon and please if you have any questions feel free to PM me on here or on the SubMit 86 page.
Cheers
Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 04:44:13 PM »
Well I'll attempt to go into this a little bit from my perspective having only read through the thread and some hearsay.

Bigger and better turn out is best for everyone in the scene and I feel there is (was) no bad blood so to speak between WSC and the SubMit group.

After discusion with Mods from both WSC and mods/members from other groups such as YEG 86 and Alberta EVO and having both sides of the discussion presented it was felt that Yes this should be separated from the WSC supermeet as it seemed like it could potentially be a volatile situation as large meets can be.

This is true; and eventually that point was gotten across that it was more along the lines of it grew to something outside of WSC's scope and ability to manage, and because of that concern it was eventually conveyed that it wasn't a matter of WSC ditching the meet so much as it no longer being a WSC meet and for better or worse should no longer be under its direct affiliation should things go awry.

And to be fair it took a long time of people repeating the same thing over and over until it looked like it finally got through to being intended this way.

And then this was said by what appeared to be one of the main organizers after things had finally started to be hashed out and settled:

Not directed at anyone but if you don't like the new meet concept that includes other groups you don't need to come, there will be plenty of cars and awesome people without you. Just don't itchbay (Creative criticism is fine) and itshay on the related threads.
 :haplo90:
This pissed people off and rightfully so. It was never about hating X manufacturer or whatever else one could take it as, and this threw the match into the gasoline. This honestly was an outright stupid and immature thing to say especially at that point in the discussion.

You handled the discussion fairly well, outside from it taking awhile to intake the point people were trying to get across. Just this kind of thing coming from other organizers is ridiculous, and is probably largely like what made people feel excluded and have some bad blood.

100% of all fees went directly to Youth Empowerment and Support Services this includes all raffle ticket sales, food sales, and entry tickets. Last years meet was very expensive for me lol.

Always open to ways we can improve! Last year was a bit of a cluster in the start do to early arrivals and not having everything set up when 50 cars started to show up at one time ha ha. The food ticket thing was a bit of a wreck and was mostly due to the way it was explained to me by AGLC on how we could collect money during the event with all the money still going to charity.

This years event will be a bit different as the venue while still being in the same area has been changed slightly due to construction happening in the mall and the parking lot. Also there will be no entry fee this year however there will also not be a concession available at the meet due to extremely limited volunteers this year as well as cash flow. Prizes will not be a huge feature this year as well due to lack of sponsors for this event as well as lack of volunteers.

The cash thing seemed for the most part to be an issue of lack of communication about it in the first place, but also largely that little to no one knew about this charity on top of that. But I'm sure at this point we've already covered that point. I don't think eliminating the fee altogether is necessarily a good thing, it just had to be communicated better. Especially when I'm sure it sounded like it also went to pay for security etc which no doubt kept things from going awry thus far.

As for notice about the event an volunteering; honestly today was the first day I ever really saw or heard anything about the history about the meet other than it being a large subaru/mistu/86 meet that happened once a year. It seems like the only place I can find information on it is through the locked and closed facebook group which requires one to join to even see information regarding the meet. Personally I absolutely detest facebook  exclusive car clubs, honestly they always seem to degrade into festering wounds because of the people who would rather be apart of a facebook page than an actual car club. I've seen and watched a lot of various facebook car groups; regardless of how they started from (fresh, splinters from an existing site, etc) they all seem to degrade into the same frustrating cringey mess.

I don't mean this in a negative way towards you personally, I know with the systems facebook has in place for events etc it makes organizing something like this easier than through a bunch of different threads on different forums. However it seeming to be the only place to have information on the meet, and it being closed to boot doesn't help.

As for volunteering I would have volunteered no problems had I known there was a real need for people, and still can/will if you need more help. I'm sure this goes for others as well who had no prior knowledge of this being an issue up until this point.

As a closing note, I'm not in anyway trying to start a fight or argument here with any of this. I just figured I might as well put everything out on the table that I saw as an issue with the limited amount I've seen, and arguably limited influence. I would like to see meets/shows like this succeed as I would like to see any other as I enjoy the car community and attending stuff like this.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 02:01:42 PM »
Sent him a PM a couple days ago directing him here. He's been online since, doesn't look like he has any intention of replying and trying to work things out. Totally not feeling excluded.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 07:58:00 PM »
I looked forward to the past two events with great anticipation, even before dates were announced.  I'm not sure if the novelty has worn off, but I just wasn't excited for this year's.  I try not to hold grudges but maybe tallone's words still have an effect.  Having such late notice hasn't helped.  For what it's worth, I didn't notice how poorly organized last year's SubMit was so that's not affecting my feelings towards this year's. 

But it's aight.  Plenty of cars and awesome people out there. 

Ok, maybe there are some hard feelings.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2015, 07:04:46 AM »
Sorry for the late reply everyone you know how busy week days can be and such.

Anyways Canuckrz and jellynuts I'm sorry that there was hard feelings or pissed off people last year I think tempers were starting to get a little high as we were all inundated with comments and things might have been said off the cuff.

Canuckrz you're right on many accounts and It does suck having a facebook only event so to speak to spread the information but to try and manage 6 different forums and keep consistent with cross information and replies would be a little tough with a busy scheduled like I have. Case in point missing out (by mistake) WSC and that's only one forum.

In the form of volunteers I guess its not 100% accurate to say that we didn't have enough volunteers. I try and run the meets with having SubMit members and stick to more family/friends/charity workers instead as I want the SubMit goers to concentrate on having a relaxing time and meeting new people. I can tell you I don't really remember speaking to anyone or walking around cars last year as it was a busy time. Anyways in this case the lot is a restricted size as well so we are focusing on cars more so this year rather than merch/food/displays and the likes. As we stand now we have enough volunteers (wife and I) to set up the meet and greet everyone and coordinate with parkland mall and security for the event. 

Anyways with all this being said I am sad to announce this is my last year as admin for this event as I don't frequent the forums anymore and I'm hoping to sell my Subaru shortly.

I highly encourage people to start their own meets as the reason that this all came about was that the Super Meet wasn't really a thing anymore not to the scale it was when I joined all them years back. I'm glad that the SubMit 86 has opened communication one way or another with people planning events and cruises. Keeping the scene and the site alive is a great thing I met many long term friends during wing nights and super meets or racing events so the more the better.

I'm working pretty much every day up until the meet but I will try and get back a little quicker as I can see there is more activity in this area that needs attention.

Hope this clears the air a bit. 
Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline Magicogt

• Baby Smooth Faced
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru WRX
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:33 AM »
For any Calgary folks to cruise down tomorrow....

https://www.facebook.com/groups/503059246515347/

Meet at Balzac Costco to accommodate any lowered rides @ 930-1030am (Edmonton crew is leaving by 930), preferably leave before 10am.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2015, 09:49:49 AM »
What about those who don't have FB?

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2015, 10:33:37 AM »
What about those who don't have FB?

uggghhh who doesn't have FB?   >:D

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
Me.  Link not public so they must not people to come.  Who cares anyways it should going to hail in red deer this  weekend.

"Should going to hail"   ???

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2015, 12:04:41 PM »
"Should going to hail"   ???
Forcast:

Sat, 18 Jul   Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud in the afternoon. High 25.

Confusion continues beyond grammar.

Offline SC00BY-SNAX

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 09 World Rally Technica
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2015, 12:18:27 PM »
I think we should create a new exclusive SUBMIT for Calgary and area... Theres so many nice cars here and not having to drive all the way to deadrear is kinda nice too. Besides, people that are not compliant to the overall respective rules and courtesies just end up attracting all the wrong types of attention.  :haplo90: :haplo90: :cops: :cops:

Timmies meet aside, it would be cool to get a lot more local WSC members new and old to come out once or twice a summer for a much larger meet then our typical weekly Timmies meet. There's always great chatter at those types of meets and always small problems being solved by other people with better knowhow and experience... (myself having 2 problems resolved by a member in less  then a minute) that the type of group we are and need to continue to be.. The noobs can learn lots too without discrimination.

Sorry for the highjack.. kinda just went off on a tangent there.  :o

Offline Cagare

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 S2000, 2012 Tundra, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2015, 12:41:49 PM »
Forcast:

Sat, 18 Jul   Sunny. Becoming a mix of sun and cloud in the afternoon. High 25.

Confusion continues beyond grammar.

and spelling

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: Blue V8, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
I think we should create a new exclusive SUBMIT for Calgary and area...

And Jesse was encouraging people to do that. The purpose of meeting in Red Deer is to accommodate for the provincial population. I thought it was super cool to meet Edmonton members on the last two trips.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 01:29:18 PM »
K let's do a Calgary super-meet in a huge parking lot :D

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2003 Legacy GTB
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 02:19:17 PM »
I would drive out to Calgary for a weekend if there was a big meet there!