Author Topic: DIY: 2008-2011 WRX Hatchback high mount brake light replacement  (Read 1434 times)

Offline gedarby011

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX Black Subbie
So I had searched high and low for help on this topic and wasn't able to find anything. As I finally figured out how to complete this fix I started to take pictures and wanted to write this DIY to help any other fellow Subaru owners from the frustration of replacing the high mount brake light on their hatchback.

High mount brake light replacement

Est time
15 -30 mins (depending on if you get as annoyed as I did during this)

Tools
10 mm socket wrench - deep set
Phillips screwdriver
small flat end screwdriver or trim pry tool
electrical tape

First step you want to do is open up your trunk and look at the top panel on the lid.

Starting on the driver side, pry off that panel working your way carefully to the passenger side. I was using a trim pry tool but a small flat screwdriver should work, just be sure not to use too much force and end up breaking the piece.

With the piece off it should look like this below.

In my photo I already disconnected the electric hook up although found out later this was unnecessary.

You will next need to focus on the bolts on the driver and passenger side of the trunk lid.

The photo shows where the drivers side bolt is and the passenger side is in a similar location on the other side.
Remove these bolts using your 10 mm socket wrench.

Once removed, look for two holes in the metal panel and inside there will be a bolt sticking out with a nut on it.

Using your 10 mm socket again, remove these nuts but be sure not to drop them inside the panel.

Once you have removed these components you can close your trunk lid and the wing on the top of the car should be loose. It may take a little wiggling to get it off but its should come off easily enough. Do not completely take off the wing, there are connections for the brake light and for the washer sprayer that you DO NOT want to have come apart.

With the wing sitting on top of the car you can easily disconnect the wires for the brake light.

Once disconnected, take a look at the light itself and you will see two small plastic tabs that can easily be removed with your flat screwdriver. Underneath those tabs are two Phillips screws. You can remove them with your Phillips screwdriver.

Once those are removed you can carefully remove the entire light fixture and pull out the connecting wires.

Now to install the new light fixture! Just carefully push the wire connection back through the hole on the wing ensuring a tight fit for the rubber grommet.

Align the fixture and replace the Phillips screws holding it in place. Put back the plastic tabs. Make the proper electrical connections for the light and cover up the connections with electrical tape if you so desire.
Now reinstall the wing, there is a blue plastic tab sticking out of the bottom of the wing which helped me to align it back in place.

With the wing in place, gently open your trunk lid and install the two bolts on the driver and passenger side. Then reinstall the two nuts on the protruding bolts inside the holes of the metal panel.
Then just reinstall the plastic trim panel and you're done! Just be sure to test it to ensure it operates properly.

I apologize if any of the photos didn't turn out, I can add more or give any other advice if need be.
Thanks for taking a look at this and give me some feedback as this is my first DIY post.