Author Topic: Help identifying internals  (Read 1120 times)

Offline Tezzating

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: STI powered '09 FXT
Help identifying internals
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:37:25 pm »
Not that this matters as I bought a new short block and this is strictly academic.. but is this the correct crank for an '09 EJ255 in a Forester?
Its black & the counter balances are black, I thought only the STI nitrided crank was black?

Bonus shot, those arent casting marks they're cracks !

Offline Tezzating

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Help identifying internals
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 11:18:00 am »
Got my answer else where.. yes its nitrided and yes its aparantly stock for that engine.
I was under the impression only STI got the nitrided crank but there ya go.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 12:23:41 pm »
Any further info on exactly which engines/years got it?
I'm curious as to why the ej255 in the FXT got it for the 09 you're specifying.
Does this mean the ej255 in the 08 wrx got it too since they're the same engine?

The FXT didn't get the vf52 turbo upgrade that the wrx265 got, so I'm curious on subarus logic here.

Offline Tezzating

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 11:06:52 am »
I've read plenty about bearing failures in 08 WRX/STI & 09 FXT. Speculation they changed to a "new bearing" that was lead free, speculation the nitride was to mitigate bearing failures. But everything I read says the nitrided crank was OEM in STI only? Maybe they changed that, or maybe my old engine was a rebuild.. The oil pans definitely been off before, there's black RTV smeared all over it.

Fuji issued a stop sell on all turbo models in an effected production span, and issued a diagnostics proceedure for all new models back in 08:
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f88/subaru-issues-turbo-stop-sale-certain-08-09-models-31757/
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-general/120145-subaru-stop-sale-official-info-update.html