Author Topic: Jimpreza111's 2014 Impreza 2.0 N/A  (Read 19171 times)

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Jimpreza111's 2014 Impreza 2.0 N/A (GJ7) Build Thread (Mostly Aesthetic!)
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2016, 08:58:14 am »
Thanks to help from my neighbor Rotary Melon I got the lightweight pulleys installed this weekend and managed to tackle the under hood LED light.
Upon doing a quick look at fitment for the lip it appears I'll need to dedicate a day to get it done completely. I removed the front All-Fit lip in prep to start this mod but I still have a bit of 3m tape to get off the underside of the bumper. Lip itself will require a bit of surgery to get it to fit right but it looks awesome just held up to the front of the car.  O0

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2016, 10:09:25 am »
I want to see pics of said LED lights~
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2016, 07:42:40 am »
Here is a few pics and included explanations of how the under hood light was installed.

And what it looks like when in use.

Finally a gratuitous shot of the lightweight pulleys, still need to install the alternator pulley.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2016, 08:21:51 am »
That engine bay needs a major Tuna scrub down.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2016, 08:27:57 am »
Yeah, I know... I have never cleaned out the engine bay :sarcasm:
I have seen people use scrubbing bubbles and a garden hose, not sure how effective that is but might give it a go once spring hits.
What does an engine cleaning go for these days?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2016, 08:29:31 am »
Yeah, I know... I have never cleaned out the engine bay :sarcasm:
I have seen people use scrubbing bubbles and a garden hose, not sure how effective that is but might give it a go once spring hits.
What does an engine cleaning go for these days?

Not really sure I usually throw it in for free because it only takes me 15-20 minutes.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2016, 08:32:36 am »
Scrubbing bubbles, a few minutes agitating it with a brush, then a light rinse afterwards does wonders.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2016, 09:00:45 am »
Awesome, thanks for the input. I will attempt this when I can be sure the old garden hose won't freeze.
Where did you pick up that Sonus Trim & Motor Kote?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2016, 09:03:01 am »
Awesome, thanks for the input. I will attempt this when I can be sure the old garden hose won't freeze.
Where did you pick up that Sonus Trim & Motor Kote?

Auto Obsessed.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Well the lip install only took me a couple of hours on Friday. Had to make a bit of cutting to get it to fit right but I am very pleased with the end result.
I also installed some new LED lighting as I had a burnt out C-light so I added a few additional lights to my order.
Replaced both C-lights, installed new LED license plate lights and installed new blue LED interior dome and map lights (or sex lights as I believe the correct term to be ;) )
The lip was too wide and too long to fit straight out of the box, the width of the WRX/STI is slightly wider and the wheel arch to bumper distance is longer.

To start I cut the entire lip in half using a back saw and guide. This cut is not so crucial but should be as close to the middle as possible and should be perpendicular to the lip (90°)
I then mounted the two pieces of the lip to the bumper starting with the front corners and only putting in 3 bolts per side leaving the middle portion loose so I can overlap them.

Once both sides were temporarily mounted I took measurements on how much to remove from the middle and also how much to take off the back/ends. I then removed both pieces and used a t-square to mark my cut lines before cutting. While cutting I made sure to favor the side of the line that would be waste as you do not want to cut too much material away or you will end up with a gap in the middle. After that I cut off the back pieces/ends to make sure it lines up with the wheel arch nicely. Remounting I was very pleased with how the middle portion lined up and was quite snug and then I added the remaining bolts to ensure the lip was securely in place. Now no matter how well you cut you will still have a minor line where the two pieces meet, as a temporary "fix" I just used some electrical tape and it's barely noticeable.

Sorry for the dirty car pictures, took it for a wash on Sunday and here are a couple of "glamour shots".

Again I am very pleased with how this mod turned out, especially since the part was for a totally different vehicle and needed some modification to get it to work.
At the end of the day I could have spent the $600-$1000.00 for the STI lip from Japan made for this car or spend ~$150.00 on an IKON Motorsports lip from Ebay with some very nice results. Future mods to come are a strut tower bar which is currently en-route and then I think some nice summer wheels and rubber.
Will be a while before I buy the new shoes gotta start saving.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Just got my TCR Strut tower bar in the mail today, will be installing this weekend along with the summer wheels and all seasons. Car is due for an engine cleaning and general spring cleaning. I also have some fender flares I purchased as an experiment, they are universal fit so might look tacky but thought I might give it a go. If they look terrible after a tape on they are going right into the classifieds. If they look decent I will have to get some wider wheels or spacers before I install them permanently. Could be earning my way onto the RICER thread with those, I think it will take a giant STI spoiler to get there though. :sarcasm:

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Just got my TCR Strut tower bar in the mail today, will be installing this weekend along with the summer wheels and all seasons. Car is due for an engine cleaning and general spring cleaning. I also have some fender flares I purchased as an experiment, they are universal fit so might look tacky but thought I might give it a go. If they look terrible after a tape on they are going right into the classifieds. If they look decent I will have to get some wider wheels or spacers before I install them permanently. Could be earning my way onto the RICER thread with those, I think it will take a giant STI spoiler to get there though. :sarcasm:

Hey now, flares, big sti spoiler, and wide wheels don't always mean the ricer look  :P if it looks good, it's acceptable in my eyes haha...I'm biased on that though I guess

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
I know, just joking around but with my econo-box all "suped" up I think it falls into the ricer category. lol.
Really IDGAF what people think, hell my wife is my biggest critic when she see's me adding another part to my car.
I do like to at least attempt to keep it looking like it was done properly, no plywood spoilers for this guy. ::)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Well....  205's pushed out with spacers to fill the flares would be pretty rice...  But buying wider rims plus rubber is a lot of cash. Is it really worth it, either way? 

I like what you're doing to the car but there is a point where too much is too much.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
I agree, I kind of impulse ordered the flares but wanted to see what it would look like. I do plan on getting some nice wheels down the road but as I said if they look crappy I will just put them on classifieds. Maybe lose a few bucks in exchange but I can live with that.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
I agree, I kind of impulse ordered the flares but wanted to see what it would look like. I do plan on getting some nice wheels down the road but as I said if they look crappy I will just put them on classifieds. Maybe lose a few bucks in exchange but I can live with that.

I'm actually kinda curious what flares will look like on your car. Which ones did you buy?

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272139019642?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These will probably require a bit of work to get them looking nice but a tape fitting should give me an idea if it's worth exploring.

I have seen some really nice ones for the '15+ WRX/STi which kind of inspired me to look into them for my car.
Here is the inspirational pieces:
http://www.subispeed.com/2015-subaru-wrx/exterior/fenders/ht-autos-wide-fender-flares-wide-arches-2015-wrx-2015-sti#.Vv6FjfkrKUk
A little too expensive for me to attempt a trial on, but that stance though!

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Did a little spring cleaning in the engine bay with Scrubbing Bubbles and installed the new strut tower bar.

Also put on my stock wheels with the all seasons cleaned and shined.
Didn't get a chance to attempt the flares this weekend but will post some pics once I do.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Going to give the car a little more pep in it's step this weekend. Just got my new tune files from Throttle Happy Tuning out of Australia.
I purchased a gently used Tactrix Open Port 2.0 from JDiesel (WSC Member, thank you!) and copied my factory tune and sent it to Throttle Happy.
Many members over at NASIOC that have the FB20 platform (Impreza/Crosstrek XV) have received tuning from this company and are ecstatic with the improvement.
I requested an 87/89 octane tune for those times when it costs an arm and a leg at the pump and a 91/93 tune for when I want to do some spirited driving.
Also came with a factory set tune if I ever wish to flash it back to stock.
Great thing about Throttle Happy is that they offer lifetime updates/revisions/technical support if I encounter any difficulties.
Now I know my car is no speed demon or track star but I think the increase in torque and minor gains in HP are going to make this a lot more fun to drive.
Once I've loaded each tune I think I may attempt some 0-60mph times to see what improvements there are and compare them to the factory one.
Does anyone recommend a decent app that can do 0-60mph timing as I don't think I have a co-pilot to run the stop watch.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
First impressions with the 87/89 tune is pretty good. There is definitely a difference in throttle response and torque output, before the tune I would hear the engine rev until the torque converter put the power down. Now it seems the torque is almost equal to throttle input, it engages the wheels instantly and is dependent on how much I apply. Small touch on the pedal and it eases off the line, put my foot in it and it goes, really liking the added torque on the highway too in the upper RPM range. Since the gas price has gone up a bit I may run this tune for a little while but look forward to trying out the higher octane. Didn't get a chance to do some 0-60 testing this weekend as I still have a few home projects to finish but hopefully will log a couple on this tune this week.

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
It has been a few weeks that I have switch over to the 91/93 Octane Tune and wow what a difference over the stock and even the 87/89 tune.
Car is way more fun to drive and passing is a snap, plus I have experienced better fuel economy over the factory tune.
Before I could drive 5 days worth of commuting (~105kms/day) in AUTO mode but when in M mode (paddle shifters) I could maybe get to the 4th day before refueling with the stock tune, now even on the 91/93 tune I can get the full 5 days out even driving in M mode spiritedly.
Can't report on the AUTO mode's fuel efficiency because AUTO mode is boring to drive and haven't selected it since flashing in the new tune.
Have been looking into a trial on E85 with a tune designed specifically for that fuel but will have to wait a little bit for the both of these components to be delivered.
This E85 setup will probably be the best bang for my buck on power/performance improvements out of the N/A engine before actually doing something crazy like nitrous or changing to forced induction.
Great thing is once I use up the tank of E85 (blended with 93 fuel pump 50/50) I will just flash back to the 91/93 or whatever flavour I feel like and away I go.
Now hoping one of my potential job opportunities comes in and I can start looking at getting some nice aftermarket wheels and rubber.

Offline poopeebum

• Beards Comin in Nice
Just wondering how much the tune cost for the regular map and premium map from throttle happy? I recently bought a 2014 sport hatch 5mt, and i still have my tactrix cable from my saabaru. I also sent a message to Airboy to see if he can tune these cars as well. Haha i don't think many people are tuning these NA imprezas, but if its relatively cheap and you can notice a difference i'd probably consider doing it.
2005 WRX Wagon with Saab bodykit

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Just wondering how much the tune cost for the regular map and premium map from throttle happy? I recently bought a 2014 sport hatch 5mt, and i still have my tactrix cable from my saabaru. I also sent a message to Airboy to see if he can tune these cars as well. Haha i don't think many people are tuning these NA imprezas, but if its relatively cheap and you can notice a difference i'd probably consider doing it.
PM'd you about the tune😊

Offline Jimpreza111

• Beards Comin in Nice
Alright a few more mods to come for my N/A Impreza, inbound I have the F1 style rear fog light from ijdmtoy. After seeing them live in action on the Sylvan lake cruise I had to have it (props to 10secdream).
I also have some headlight amber blackout vinyl overlays coming from premium auto styling to replace the plastidip job I did on the headlights a couple years back.
There is also a universal rear under bumper vortex generator/diffuser coming from ebay, this should help tie in the one on the roof.
Once I have these I will also be re-painting the lower section of my rear bumper black, I saw that Subaru made this portion of the bumper black on the '15+ models and it just looks better than the matching body colour.
Going to also be flashing in my E85 tune and run a 1/2 tank of E85 + 1/2 tank 94 oct this week to see what race fuel with a tune will do to my FB20.
Further down the road I plan to replace the grill with a mesh aftermarket one and either powder coat the factory wheels black or pick up a decent set of black wheels with a wider offset.
Picking up some lowering springs had crossed my mind but I already scrape my lip on some parking lot entry's/exits as is, think this idea is going on hold for now.