Author Topic: DIY: make your own $3 Hella Horn bracket  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
DIY: make your own $3 Hella Horn bracket
« on: August 02, 2015, 05:44:05 pm »
The NASIOC thread has dicky links and the download doesn't work. I found a copy of the PNG file on my laptop and have uploaded it to Flickr:

Fixed the photo links from the original thread. I have confirmed that you can buy these strong ties from Home Depot for a touch over $3. Note, a Dremel will make a much nicer recess for the hood latch:
Quote from: NASIOC
I was frustrated that it would cost me almost $40 after shipping just to buy a bracket that would fit my Hella horns correctly.  The supplied brackets from Hella just don't cut it.

This is just a piece of metal with holes in it........ -_-

This is for my 2011 WRX hatchback.  Will this bracket work for your car?  Most likely.. I believe most hood latch mounts are similar for these cars.

Step 1: Buy this thing at Home Depot.  It's called a Strong Tie.  This thing is sturdy... And pretty thick compared to those really flexible ties next to it.  You shouldn't really be able to bend it much with one hand.

Step 2: Drill three holes in it.  Please don't drill at random.  I test fitted the first piece about 5 times before I got the mounts where they needed to be. And the damn hood latch kept getting involved. I have included the template I made pictured here.  You can download it via the link below.

Template download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qkgrewkaovkpgm7/Hella%20Horn%20Bracket%20PNG.png?dl=0

Step 3: It's not pretty but it's painted now.  High-durability paint for getting crapped on because it's on the front of your Subaru.  God help the paint.

Step 4: Mount it up!  There are plenty of DIY's about mounting these lights so I'll leave it to you and your search bar.  This is just for making the bracket.

The final mounted product is solid.  It feels strong just like any other mounted piece under your hood.

I hope at least one person found this useful.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: DIY: make your own $3 Hella Horn bracket
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 08:21:39 am »
I think this thread may now be approved for general consumption?

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Ride: C6
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
...any side effects?

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 08:10:53 pm »
Neat, I gotta make one of these for the Miata.

Offline MrPROGENITUS

• Patchy Faced
  • Speedy speed boy
  • Ride: 1998 Impreza WRX STi V4
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 08:41:05 am »
I made the mistake of buying one of the more flexible ties, which is still sturdy but would be pushed back by the wind at high speeds.  To make sure the bolts didn't damage my rad I put DIY rubber stoppers on the ends of the bolts.
So, you drive a Subaru?  That don't Impreza me much...

1998 V4 STi "Suzy": http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=44019.msg547249#msg547249

Offline watut

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Honda
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 10:18:00 am »
Looking good