Author Topic: Best BJ (Beef Jerky) in Alberta  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2004 WRX
Best BJ (Beef Jerky) in Alberta
« on: August 20, 2015, 02:11:28 pm »
First post, yay! Im moving to Edmonton from Yellowknife, NT at the end of August. We have a great butcher here that smokes their own beef jerky. It's crazy delicious and rather addictive. Nothing like beer and bj on a Saturday afternoon.

To help me keep the withdrawl symptoms managed.... where do you all get your beef jerky? Is there a place in the area that is renowned for its beef jerky?

Thanks in advance all!

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Best BJ (Beef Jerky) in Alberta
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:34:03 pm »
Hamel's Meats in Cold Lake.

See if they deliver.

http://albertajerky.com

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX DGM Hatch... w/ stickers!
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 03:58:11 pm »
^^ Group buy opportunity?

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:16:20 pm »
Thanks all. Looks like a great meat shop. Love the family owned and operated businesses. Lots of different flavours too.

Keep the suggestings coming!

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Ride: C6
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 07:10:21 pm »
Nothing like beer and bj on a Saturday afternoon.

On the road is pretty fantastic too  8)

I've heard about the Longview one, going to have to make a stop there when I do a hwy40 burn

Edit: checked the website... ummm I say we make a cruise out of this?

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 08:30:08 am »
Longview is fantastic, I live 30 minutes away and stop by often, as I drive through it nearly every weekend on the way to MT.

BUT, I made this discovery last night:

http://www.jerkysnob.com/

That, my friends, is a monthly jerky subscription. What a time to be alive.

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 08:40:03 am »
I used to live in MT while my wife went to Montana Tech, you'd probably be able to find a few stellar jerky shops in the state.

I'm definitely going to investigate this monthly BJ subscription. You guys are gonna get me in trouble, Wifey thinks I'm crazy that I could justify a 6-7 hour round trip from Edmonton for beef jerky. 

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 09:57:14 am »
Longview sucks in comparison to the stuff we get from Crossroads Market. Sickel's Meats. Ho-ly crap, amazing. I can't even eat store-bought jerky anymore, it's so hard, dry and nasty in comparison! Those aren't desirable qualities in any BJ ;) The beef jerky is phenomenal, but his chicken jerky is just a whole other level of amazing.

Sorry, this doesn't help an Edmonton dweller... Pretty far drive to hit a dirty hipster market.

ps. What's Yellowknife like? What do you do there? They have roads that a GR STi can drive on?!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 10:19:17 am »
Is the Crossroads market in Calgary? I totally agree  on store-bought (convenience store) jerky. It does not compare to artisan / craft jerky from the mom and pop type shops. I gave up on that stuff a few years ago.

Yellowknife is good and definitely Subie worthy. Sure my 18's don't really like the washboard ice buildup we get but my arse can handle it. One thing the STi doesn't like is temps below -30. I get CEL's from the cold and my nav system decides to go in to deep sleep mode. Oh yeah, and I had a miraculous case of exploding sun roof syndrome on one of our coldest days last year. With all that said, pulling nice controlled drifts around every single corner at low speeds makes winter driving an STi in Yellowknife pretty worthwhile.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 11:19:44 am »
Northern Fancy Meats? 

Sorry.. there's no comparison..  NFM rocks. 
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 11:21:43 am »
Yessir Northern Fancy Meats. So f'n delicious.

Obviously you've been?

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 09:09:53 pm »
Throwing this out there just because of the topic.

I'm from NW Ont, and used to live about a 45 min drive from the boarder. We went to Minniapolis all the time, and just across the border there was a border store. We all used to ship ebay/internet stuff there because it was way cheaper. That, and the closest place from Thunder Bay was Duluth, the next was Minniapolis. Like I said, middle of nowhere lol.

Ok, sorry for the thread jack, here's my point. Jerky in this province is absolutely horrible, good but the price is moronic.

Right accross the boarder, the store we'd pick our stuff up at sold jerky. I think it was moose, but it's amazing. They have multiple flavors. I've lived here for 4 years, but before I moved the price was about $14 USD/bag (we were at par to be fair), and you literally got half a grocery bag or more of jerky, and they were thick good chunks. Put it this way, an equivalent here would likely be $40+ for what you get.

I've missed it so much, I've wanted to order some. All my friends here from Thunder Bay want to as well, only reason we haven't is because, well probably because we're all lazy.

Would anyone in Calgary be interested in putting an order in? I'd be happy to call and see if we could get a rate? They do ship. I'd probably buy 4-5 bags myself and freeze them.

Sorry for the thread jack. If anyone is interested, th store in questions is called Ryden's border store. Not sure if they have a site, or info of there jerky.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 09:55:32 pm »
Our main freight contractor's head office is in Bonnyville (a little south of Cold Lake) where Hamel's Meat's Market (butcher/ jerky specialty) is.  Every Christmas the heavy hauls business manager who we deal with on a weekly basis drives down to visit clients and such before the Christmas Holidays.  For the past 3 Christmas's he has brought with him several big (like, 10" x 10" x 30" long boxes) over-flowing with meats (a mix of some fresh and some to be kept in the freezer.)

Every single person was so confused the first time thinking "What the hell? You got a box of meats?"

Second Christmas everyone was swarming one of the boxes we left in the main kitchen fighting over stuff... Jerky? Chicken, turkey, beef, etc.  Turkey jerky is literally the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. They have salt + peppered, teryaki, plain...  We usually each take a full box home .. it only lasts up until Christmas before it's literally completely gone LOL.  I dunno if they deliver, but if you're in Edmonton it might be worth the 1 hour drive to pickup one of their huge boxes (I think $100-$500 depending, you can get them custom made.. get one full of jerky..) !

Edit;   I just found an old picture in my email  ;D  Can only see the turkey jerky on the top.. I finished that pretty damn fast lol (all that other sausage stuff is also so good with crackers and such)

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:46:19 am »
Awesome, thanks Kijho. If its only about an hour away, Ill be making that drive every couple of months for sure.

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:50:14 am »
/tasty opportunity

I'm in. Always willing to spend a few bucks on food adventures, especially beef jerky! Start a group buy thread if you want to/can get more interest.

Commencing Ryden's Border Store research: now.

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:56 am »
^^^ I second that motion, totally interested in a group buy opportunity if someone puts it together.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 01:22:14 pm »
Cool, I'll check their site and see if they have an email and what I can get together.

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 08:36:27 am »
Meatco in wainwright. Best jerky in Canada I've ever had.. Hands down.
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 09:11:08 am »
Awe man... another great jerky place?

I see a jerky budget emerging in my near future.

Offline silent

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: A3
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 03:51:42 pm »
Meatco in wainwright. Best jerky in Canada I've ever had.. Hands down.
How are the prices there?

Offline e13tankbuster

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2015, 07:16:57 pm »
How are the prices there?
Decent. $10 for a good size bag.. More than what I've gotten from any other butcher.. They also have $20 or $25 bags too..

I itshay you not though, I've had jerky from a lot of places, but this is by far the best. Word of advice though, call ahead to ensure stock, there's an army base ten km away, and that is their primary customer... Ask me how I know.. Funk32 can attest to this as well..
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2015, 03:45:41 pm »
I went to the market in the Servus (near South Common) parking lot on the weekend. Not only was there a decent little VW get together, there was a vendor selling BJ. I think this guy is local and will be setting up a storefront in the near-ish future.

I got my fix anyways, it wasnt the best but it definitely wasnt bad and I would totally buy it again just in case anyone is in the area and wants to try it out.

Is that a market that happens every weekend?

Cheers all!

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 04:00:30 pm »
Bit the bullet and subscribed to jerkysnob.com today. First shipment leaves on the first of next month. I'll let you guys know what I think!

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2015, 09:50:15 am »
Placed an order with Longview Jerky. Cant wait to try it out. I ordered 4 different flavours. Shipping was $20 to Edmonton. Probably a bit much, but I have no qualms justifying that for meat.

Also, I'm heading up to Yellowknife to pick up my car on Sunday and will be back in Edmonton on Friday (Sept 18) night next week. Ill be stopping in at Northern Fancy Meats and getting some jerky there. If anyone wants me to grab them some, hit me up via PM and we can work out details. Keep in mind that I'm in Summerside and would need people to come to me and pick it up as I don't really know Edmonton that well yet.

Offline Bowserific

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 11:53:36 am »
Got my order from Longview today. This stuff is legit and their online order system was very painless. I'd recommend it to anyone.

That said, I still think Northern Fancy is better but this stuff is a close second (so far). I definitely like the fact that you can order more than just one flavour. Northern Fancy Meats lacks in the variety department.

I'm still heading to Yellowknife next week if anyone is interested in ordering some Northern Fancy jerky. Ill be back next Friday.