Author Topic: 20G Turbo Question  (Read 1451 times)

Offline meow!

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: STI
20G Turbo Question
« on: August 21, 2015, 08:54:03 pm »
Hi everyone,

First and foremost, if this isn't supposed in the right thread section my apologies to the mods.
I'm currently in the process of upgrading my stock VF39 to a DB 20G.
I have DW 740cc Injectors however they are not installed, I talked to a tuner my friend has recommended me
and he is saying to leave the stock injectors. I will be running 50/50 Meth injection as well.
Is this safe? or efficient? I only plan to be running 20lbs of boost, and he has informed me that the injectors should be able handle that.
I just need some insight from fellow owners, I have searched around NASIOC and IWSTI because I haven't seen a relatively clear answer.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: 20G Turbo Question
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:27:46 pm »
I'd upgrade the injectors. In Calgary, Stage 2 is fine, but near sea level, a Stage 2 STi will be maxing out the stock injectors. Upgrading the turbo will push it far past that. If your tuner isn't even using all the fuel the stock injectors can provide, I feel like he's not anywhere close to what the car can do.

I upgraded my VF39 to an HTA68 and went with the 740cc injectors, and they worked great. If you're willing, a topfeed conversion would be ideal, as it opens up the options for injectors, but if you're already sitting ont he 740cc, use em.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline meow!

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: STI
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:07:52 pm »
Thanks, after some discussion I believe we're going to go with the upgraded injectors,  he just needs a base to start from because I'm upgrading a whole butt load of stuff at the same time. He currently doesn't have a base map for my setup and doesn't want to risk going straight from 740cc because of possible engine failure

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:53 pm »
Does't have a base map? How long has he been tuning? When I did my turbo swap, I did the turbo, the injectors, EWG, I already had TGV deletes, turbo back and an EBCS, and Airboy was able to send me a base map to start the car on, no problem.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:18:47 pm »
Don't forget the fuel pump when you do the injectors.  The in-tank fuel filter should be replaced as well, given the age.

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)