Author Topic: Jukka's new DD - The Rootbeer Toaster - Speed Dents  (Read 8714 times)

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Jukka's new DD - The Rootbeer Toaster - Speed Dents
« on: August 30, 2015, 08:05:51 pm »
The Mrs and I decided we needed to get me a better daily/something safer than the WRX and something more reliable. We had been toying with different car ideas for awhile and finally settled on something the other day. So tonight we picked up our 2008 Element SC.

Its a 2008 Honda Element SC in Rootbeer. Apparently there is an actual paint colour for it, but everyone including Honda calls it Rootbeer. 188xxxKM on it, K24A4 engine (2.4L) 5 speed manual and in great condition.

It's going to be my daily driver/road trip car, so I'm not going to be modifying it a whole lot. Mostly going to be changing out some lighting to improve it.

BTW, the guesses were pretty damn good for such a small hint. I was surprised that it got picked up on that quick.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Jukka's new DD - Title and update coming soon...
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 08:12:44 pm »
Jeep?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:14:53 pm »
Element.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 08:50:24 pm »
Honda Ridgeline.

/thread.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 10:10:47 pm »
You guys aren't that nice. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:48:44 pm »
Element.

(damnit)

Congrats. Name ideas - call it 'the Fifth'. Or Multi-Pass.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 07:02:46 am »
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 07:27:02 am »
Oh yeah, there's a Honda badge in the window. Has to be a Honda dealer.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 07:57:36 am »
Honda Ridgeline.

/thread.
...In hindsight, I couldn't be right. I just took another look at the image and I just realized how far the back window is from the windshield. ???

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 08:12:48 am »
Element for sure. The roof is a giveaway
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: Jukka's new DD - The Rootbeer Toaster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:47:59 pm »
I can't believe how quickly someone got it. I didn't think the first picture gave it away enough, but well done.

First post updated with details and pictures.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 09:55:35 pm »
Ah nice its an Element SC. I take it its a 2wd? I've always wanted an element, but it just wasn't sporty enough for it to be my only vehicle so I ended up going with the Fozzy.

How awkward is that dash shifter?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:37:01 pm »
Ah nice its an Element SC. I take it its a 2wd? I've always wanted an element, but it just wasn't sporty enough for it to be my only vehicle so I ended up going with the Fozzy.

How awkward is that dash shifter?

Reminds me of the EP3/SiR shifter...hopefully as good! Root beer is such a sick color...not many Hondas rock it.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 10:52:59 pm »
I used to have an EP3 before the WRX,  so this felt really natural to get back into. I had the same question about the dash shifter the entire time I had the EP3. It's honestly not awkward at all, it's in a natural position for how you sit in the car. It's really comfortable when you drive.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 07:05:38 am »
Roof gave it away. I love it.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2015, 10:44:34 pm »
Thanks everyone. It's odd but when I told people I was looking into an Element, I got mixed feelings about it. A lot of people hated the idea of it, but as soon as I got it, I've had a lot of people admit they like it. I only really have 1 friend who seriously hates it, but hes also the type of guy who is building a 52 chevy and thinks that his 98 chevy 1500 is the best vehicle on the road.

So I've had the car for just about 2 weeks now and figure its time to give my impressions now that I have close to 1000km of driving on it. The car drives really really well. It's nice and quiet for cruising around. One small complaint is that the air intake silencer box is massive and has a bunch of complicated piping that restricts the airflow. I took off the intermediate pipe between the airbox and the silencer, and it really helped out the throttle response, also allowed for the typical Honda "Vtec" crossover sound, which is really confusing to hear while driving a toaster. It's been pretty good on fuel as well. I've been driving around probably 90% city use and 1 run out to Cochrane with 3 people in the car and so far I'm at about 355km and have used about a little less than 3/4 of a tank. I'm expected around 500km to a tank, with a 50L tank.

Funcationality wise, the car is amazing. The 3rd day I had it, I managed to fit an old BBQ we had sitting waiting to be picked up for the garbage for a month into the back of the car. Fit with no issue and managed to get the damn thing out of my alley way. We have a friends wedding tomorrow, and I have the car loaded up with 3 big plastic bins, about 15 big linnen bags, and still have plenty of space left in it too. Next weekend I'm gonna head down to Fort Mcleod with LDS, Rathburn and Asstuna, and I'm gonna be loading the toaster up with stuff to be the "support" vehicle.

I haven't really done anything to the vehicle yet. I replaced a few lights in the car with some LED's. I replaced the reverse lights, licence plate, and interior bulbs so far. I have some old LED bulbs sitting around that I had from my old civic that should fit my tail lights that I will try sometime soon. I've also replaced the headlights with a set of Vision-X ones that I had kicking around work. They are okay, but I'm going to be replacing them with a set of Putco Nite-Lux LED headlights when we get our computer system sorted out at work. Also when the computer system gets sorted out, I'm gonna price out a set of Fast Hayaku's for the element too for a set of summer wheels.

Ever since I saw this picture, I've wanted to own an element that looks like it. I'm already 1 big step there, which is finding a rootbeer SC. Next step is the wheels, and spoiler. I'm not gonna dump it like this one, mainly because I don't want to pay for a set of custom coilovers from TEIN.

Only downside to it has been that everytime I went to go see it before I picked it up, it was around sunset or it was during the time when it was smoky outside, so I didn't get to see it in decent lighting conditions. With that being said, I noticed the first sunny day that there were some major scuffs on the rocker sills/sideskirts, the rear bumper had a small crack in it right at the corner, and my hood has what looks like fibers from a terry cloth in the paint. I found out that the marks are from a Honda paint defect where they put too much hardener in the base coat, which caused it to split. Luckily with a bit of, lets call it skillful discussion, I got the sideskirts wetsanded and buffed for free. The rear bumper is getting repaired on Tuesday and Wednesday, and they first refused to do anything about the hood, and now have managed to work a deal for them to cover half the cost of getting the hood repainted. Other than those small issues, only other little thing is that the climate control lights work somewhat intermittently. It's a common problem with the Elements, so I'm planning on swapping them out with LED's.

For future plans, only thing besides the wheels on the docket, is looking for an OEM spoiler, possibly putting in a bluetooth headunit, and maybe getting some shifter base bushings. The shifter plate on these things (exactly like the EP3 Civic SIR), have rubber bushings holding them in place that have a lot of slop, that can some what easily be swapped out with steel ones.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2015, 09:50:49 am »
Pretty sweet! Elements are (unsurprisingly) one of the cars I like.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 10:47:14 pm »
Well, with the cold weather knocking on our doorstep in the next few weeks, I decided to start prepping the Element for winter. I ordered a set of OEM Honda all-weather floor mats for it. They are discontinued by Honda, but I managed to find a set online for $40 cheaper than what I could buy them for from Honda. Also picked up a set of winter wheels and tires.

Found a set of OEM Honda Accord 5 spoke wheels in okay condition, but they were straight which is nice. I also found a set of used but in good condition studded Hankook IPike with 10/32's of tread life left on them for $240, so I couldn't pass them up.
The wheels when I got them:

Typical used Kijiji Wheels with some minor curb rash and some clear coat peeling off. I decided to spend a few hours after work over the last week or two getting rid of the curb rash, clearing up the chipping clear coat, and getting ready for paint.

Ended up priming them on Monday:

Hit them with paint on Wednesday and Thursday night, and then gave them a good blast of clear on Thursday:

And got them mounted up tonight:

Now just need to get them balanced and get some tireshine on the rubber to freshen it up a bit.

I also looked into OEM mudflaps for the car too, and guess what? Just like almost everything else for the car's optional parts, they are discontinued. I found couple of rear sets online for between $130-190 USD, so I decided I'm gonna make a set of Ikea cutting board ones for less then $20. I bought the boards and used one of my rally armours from the WRX to make a template for them.

Next up is going to be installing a starter on the car (which will be done in about a week or two), and I'm also debating on putting in heated seat elements. I did them on the WRX last year, and they aren't bad to do, but they do take time to get them in properly.

Beyond that, just been driving it a ton. It's really nice to just get into a car first thing in the morning and not having to worry about letting it warm up for X amount of time before driving it, not having to worry about putting premium fuel into it, and just enjoying it as is.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2015, 01:54:17 am »
Wheels look great!  Who did the mounting?  They treated your paint good.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2015, 01:15:55 pm »
Mounting and balancing was done by yours truly. We have a tire machine at work and I used to work as a tire tech, so I know a couple tricks to mount tires up with minimal touching of the rim or no touching at all. I only managed to get one small knick on the rim pictured, but the bead pretty much overs it anyways.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2015, 01:20:30 pm »
I need the 4Runner all seasons painted and re-balanced. Got any leftover paint?

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2015, 02:15:03 pm »
Maybe 1/8th of a can. The first can I used itshay the bed on me about 3/4 of the way through doing the first coat. I should have about 1/2 can of clear coat left though. I just picked the paint up from part source and for a can of primer, 2 cans of colour, a can of clear and some scotchbrite pads it was like $50.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2015, 02:49:23 pm »
Are you planning in painting the center caps too or just leaving them silver and black?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2015, 08:41:27 pm »
Mounting and balancing was done by yours truly.

Gosh this is a huge pic, but...

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2015, 09:55:17 pm »
Man, I've been putting off painting my winter wheels for weeks because I'm not really happy about removing the wheel weights so I can paint under them.

Would be awesome if someone who knows how to balance them would look over my shoulder as I fart the weights back on. I was just going to mark and replace them, but I think two of the wheels are already out of balance as it is.