Author Topic: Jukka's new DD - The Rootbeer Toaster - Speed Dents  (Read 8713 times)

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
Re: Jukka's new DD - The Rootbeer Toaster - Speed Dents
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2018, 05:20:34 pm »
Noooo, poor Element. :(

I'll take it if they total it out.
Take a number

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2018, 06:13:19 pm »
I'll take it if they total it out.

Corpse isn't even cold and you've already got your dick out.
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2018, 06:48:26 pm »
Oh, and I'll have no qualms driving that Forester.

That Forester's a stick, right?

uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2018, 08:01:49 pm »
In my defense, Jukka and I have had prior discussions about Elements. Mebbe not his exactly. I want a car which will fit all my US itshay when I need to drive back. Mike is just a crazed necrophiliac crow scavenging over limp vehicular corpses, hoping for a twitch of life which will serve to fuel his lust for the broken and unwanted.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2018, 10:04:59 pm »
LOLOLOL

Well, if anything, I'd say Mike is the crow on the left, beating at the face.  You'd be the crow on the top, flapping it's wings.  And the one doing the actual copulating...  Even though he's not involved, that'd be Chris.  Because, a man's gotta eat. 

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2018, 02:09:21 am »
Corpse isn't even cold and you've already got your dick out.

Haven't you heard the expression

Get it while it's hot

Geez

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2018, 09:34:37 am »
Get it while it's hot

Or drop it while it's hot...

I hate that gif.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2018, 08:33:38 pm »
In my defense, Jukka and I have had prior discussions about Elements. Mebbe not his exactly. I want a car which will fit all my US itshay when I need to drive back. Mike is just a crazed necrophiliac crow scavenging over limp vehicular corpses, hoping for a twitch of life which will serve to fuel his lust for the broken and unwanted.
The Element is pretty dope, though. Always wanted one but they go for crazy money.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:14 am »
Got back from vacation on Monday, went to go start it on Tuesday, no go. I used my little lithium ion jump pack to try and boost it, drained the entire thing without starting. Ended up having to boost it using the wife's car. Got it running, brought it to work, went to go for lunch, completely dead again.

Luckily I can grab batteries for a reasonable price from work, so I put in a new Bosch battery and she works great now.

Still need to figure out the sound coming from the drivetrain, I'm convinced it's a bad CV or intermediate shaft bearing.

Also called the insurance company and I'm going to get a claims adjuster to take a look at the car in the next week or two and see what they say.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2018, 03:27:12 pm »
Fire.

Fixes everything.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2018, 06:03:49 pm »
Car's booked in for hail damage assessment/repair on the 21st.

I also determined that the inner CV joint on the passenger side CV was the culprit for the noise I was getting. I ordered in a new CV and decided to put it in on Friday night. What a uckfaying gong show that turned out to be. I started at 6:30 and worked on it until almost 10pm. First the balljoint was seized into the LCA, and all the how-to's/factory service manual say to pop the balljoint to separate the knuckle. I ended up just removing the strut from the knuckle which isn't a big deal because the front bolts don't have camber eccentrics on the bolts. Dropped the knuckle, which then pulled the CV towards the outside of the car, and ended up pulling all the uckfayed bearings from the inner joint with it. So I tried popping the CV shaft out, wouldn't budge. Tried hammering it, nothing. Soaked it in penetrating lube, hammered it again, nothing. Heated it up and let it cool, nothing. Borrowed a massive air-hammer from my buddy's shop across the street, ended up driving the air hammer bit into the end of the CV shaft...without it budging.

He came over to help after about an hour of my uckfaying whaling on it. We ended up breaking the lower ball joint loose using a 5 foot prybar and air hammering the LCA to break up any rust. Go to pop the whole knuckle off with the CV to bring it to his shop and press it out, and the CV just drops out without issue. Awesome. Then we look at the threads on the balljoint and they are beyond uckfayed from hammering on it and hitting it with the air hammer. So we spend 40 minutes at his shop grinding down the first 3 threads and trying to cut threads back into it using the nuts. I'm ordering a new replacement balljoint soon to make sure this isn't an issue later on.

Anyways, we finally get it all back together, drive it home, sound is gone. No more whooping sound, less clunking in the front end. Was driving with my windows down on the way home to listen and to get some fresh air. Get home and park in the driveway, go to roll the windows up. Drivers goes up fine, passengers doesn't do a thing.

So at 10:30, I scramble to clean up the garage so I can park in it for the night. Got around to testing it on Saturday and the new regulator I put in last month is pooched. The motor is just dead. Full 12V at the switch in and out, 12V at the power wiring to the regulator motor just the motor does nothing. So I have another replacement one on order..again. YAY!

Depending on what happens with the hail damage report, I'll probably be listing it for sale next month, so keep an eye out for an ad.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2018, 11:58:12 am »
Replacement regulator in...again. No issues this time. I spent some more time making sure that the glass traveled smoothly up the track to make sure there was no binding. The last regulator sounded like it was struggling a bit from the get go.

Also pulled the knuckle off to get my new ball joint installed today

The benefit of having done this a week ago is that I knew exactly what tools I needed and exactly how to take everything apart.

Took me an hour and a half to clean the garage up to get the car into it, but only 25 min to get everything apart. My buddy who helped me do the CV is helping doing the balljoint.

Car then gets dropped off tomorrow morning to figure out if it's getting written off or not. At this point I'm crossing my fingers for them to say it's written off.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2018, 11:22:14 pm »
Wow, I thought I had posted in here, but guess not.

So the insurance process has been....fun.

When I went to drop the vehicle off on the 21st of September, both the insurance company and hail shop said to drop the car off and they'd get my rental car for me. Great. Drove up to the NE to the hail shop, give them my keys, they tell me the appointment will be about 45 min to an hour. It was just an apprasial appointment. Great. So I waited about an hour, they came out and showed me the report. The cost for them to do what they could was sitting at about $4800. They also let me know they found cracked paint on the roof, so it will most likely have to go to a body shop to get it repaired and it'll probably get written off. Said I should hear back from the insurance company within a couple days.

I waited about a week and a half before I decided to call for an update. Called my insurance company on the 1st to figure out whats going on. They said that a Total Loss Adjuster would be in touch with me within 2-3 business days. I asked if that meant that the car was getting written off, they said it looks that way.

Waited another week...no calls. Called them again. Same thing, they said I would get a call within 1-3 business days. I explained that I was told that before with no phone call. They then realized that they forgot to assign an adjuster to my claim. Said they were going to get an adjuster on it right away and I'll get a call within 2 days.

Waited again, decided to call today to figure out what the hell is going on because I still hadn't received a phone call. Called yesterday afternoon, waited on the phone for 45 min before I hung up.  Finally get given the name of my adjuster and his direct phone number today after calling in the morning. Called him and left a voicemail, sent him an e-mail too. No response. Called a couple more times throughout the day, no answer, just voicemail. Figured I'd wait till the end of his day to get in touch with him since he seems very busy. Call back closer to the time he was going to be leaving the office and get a different voicemail message saying he's going to be on vacation starting tonight until October 29th.

At this point, I'm so uckfaying annoyed its not even funny. Called back, waited on hold for 20 minutes before they answered, explained my situation, explained how they kept pushing things back further and further and now this guys going on vacation for 2 and a half weeks? No, I need an answer now. It's basically been a month and a half since I filed the claim originally and it's gone now where. They finally got me in touch with a supervisor on shift to go through everything.

SOOO the car is officially a write off. They gave me an amount to sell the car to them to salvage and a 17% lower buy-back price. The good thing about if I buy it back, the car wouldn't be branded as a salvage title, so it'll be a clear title if I go to sell it. They said it would've cost a little over $10K to repair the dents and fix the cracked paint on the roof.

I talked to the wife and we're going to take the buy-back payout, fix the car up a bit. Try one of those cheap DIY dent repair kits and see if we can pop some of the dents out, we're going to fix the cracked paint ourselves and then probably wrap the roof with some vinyl. Or I may just fix the mechanical issues and list it for sale with the hail damage and the paint issue.

We have our eye on another vehicle for our next daily driver/project. Not going to really say anything about it until its purchased and worked on.