Author Topic: Nosale Build - 2005 Forester XT  (Read 3081 times)

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
Re: No Sale (Not for sale?) Build - 2005 Forester XT
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2016, 02:14:04 pm »
Dropped the engine in a few days ago. Pretty much ready to fire up. Had some problems with connector hoses for the intercooler, and short a few bolts to wrap everything up. Will source that stuff and get'er done shortly! Beatrush pitchstop (totally unnecessary! I know. Hope it's not too loud) and a stupidly big fridge for an intercooler. Yay!

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
Re: Nosale Build - 2005 Forester XT
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2017, 12:25:41 am »
Been super busy. Not much time for updates.

Things of note:

1) I am apparently now one of the very few that can't say they've never seen a water pump fail. Mine failed at the bearing seal. Caused coolant to pour out of the top vent hole which proved to be a completely mysterious leak. Looked like it was coming out of the water pump gasket or heaven forbid my newly installed head gasket. I replaced the pump gasket before deciding to replace the whole pump. Weak.

2) Still have a CEL for my rear O2 sensor and tgv deletes. I haven't ignored the codes yet so the car is still in limp mode. I've driven it around the block, but that's about it. At least she drives :)

3) The drive around the block revealed an oil leak at the return of the turbo. I think I split the return hose when I was jamming it on there. Will pull the up pipe and replace the line.

4) time for tuning! Once I clear the CELs and get the car out of limp, I should be able to tune it up.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2017, 11:41:39 am »
Radiator is old and cracked. Plastic end tank has leaks everywhere. New rad is on order. I patched up most of the cracks with JB Weld so that I can run the car for longer than 2 minutes. Everything is good now!

Installed my oil pressure gauge and wideband. Found out the thing is running super lean (which was unexpected.... maybe my maf scale is off?). After fixing up my injector scale, she's running mint. Boosts well too! YAY! Almost done! Then it's time to turn to the interior :)

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2017, 10:13:52 am »
Yaaa! Got it tuned up a bit and installed a new radiator. She runs so nicely now. Still only running wastegate which is around 0.7 bar (10-11psi). It's running a bit leaner than I'd like (12 AFR), but it's safe enough for low boost.

Insured her yesterday, and heading in to get it registered today.

Big day!