Author Topic: Stage 1 Cobb OTS map  (Read 8391 times)

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRB STI Hatchback
Stage 1 Cobb OTS map
« on: October 07, 2015, 07:13:06 pm »
NOOB here.
Looking to use my Cobb V3 and flash my 2011 STI for a stage 1 until I get to Airboy in the spring. I've read and searched a few threads on here about which map to use... I plan to fill Shell 91. Some say regular 91 map or the ACN91 map. Could someone here that lives and drives daily in Calgary with a Cobb OTS map let me know which one to use? What should I be looking for in numbers in terms of; boost, knock, AFR...etc. I think the V3 can have up to 6 gauges, what should I be monitoring until I get to Airboys? New to this and wouldn't mind some extra info.

or should I just wait until the spring for the tune? I just want to get the car more reliable away from the ittshay stock map.

Mods: Cobb sf intake with air box
Invidia Q300 catback

Thanks!

Offline jakesubie

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
Re: Stage 1 Cobb OTS map
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:59 pm »
just a regular stage 1 map will be best for the intake and catback the acn91 map i think is speciffially for Arizona California Nevada is where the acronym ACN comes from as it is worse gas then regular 91

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 11:20:10 pm »
just a regular stage 1 map will be best for the intake and catback the acn91 map i think is speciffially for Arizona California Nevada is where the acronym ACN comes from as it is worse gas then regular 91

Thanks! Was just wondering because some on WSC here say our gas sucks like the States, so some are using ACN for Alberta gas too... What kind of numbers should I be monitoring for stage 1? boost, knock, af?

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: STI'15 - Airboy Tuned
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:26:46 am »
Good topic... I'm planning to do this in future... intake, complete exhaust ... stage 1 map ...
So Subscribing now... :)

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 11:32:09 am »
Good topic... I'm planning to do this in future... intake, complete exhaust ... stage 1 map ...
So Subscribing now... :)

Full exhaust (downpipe + catback = turboback) = Stage 2
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 02:10:58 pm »
Talk to Airboy, but iirc, the Stage 1 ACN map is the one you want for Alberta gas.  The stage 1 and 2 ACN maps were what I used on my 07 until I was able to get him to tune my car.  Do a bit of searching around the forum, I believe ACN maps have been talked about before.  Basically, Cobb's OTS maps aren't great for us.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 02:17:40 pm »
Talk to Airboy, but iirc, the Stage 1 ACN map is the one you want for Alberta gas.  The stage 1 and 2 ACN maps were what I used on my 07 until I was able to get him to tune my car.  Do a bit of searching around the forum, I believe ACN maps have been talked about before.  Basically, Cobb's OTS maps aren't great for us.

I'm just wondering how much do Airboy charge for tuning?

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 02:21:06 pm »
every car is different, but my STI only likes Cobb's ACN maps. there are a couple of threads out there where Cobb recommended that Canadians run Cobb ACN maps because of our (apparent) poorer quality of gas up here. and I know Airboy has commented on the variability of our "premium" gasoline quality in the past.
when I was stage 1 I logged knock with Cobb's regular 91 map on Shell 91. Husky 94, or Chevron 94 seemed fine, but they're not always easy to find. with Cobb's stage 1 ACN 91 map I've logged zero knock on Shell 91 and Husky 94.
Cobb's stage 2 maps are the same story. other than a bad tank of Shell 91 I've had no issues with my ACN stage 2 map. YMMV.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Rich

• WSC Supporter
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: '18 H6 Outback '20 Legacy GT
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 02:22:38 pm »
I'm just wondering how much do Airboy charge for tuning?

That's something you should probably ask Airboy directly.
Contact me for your eyewear needs!

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:24:54 pm »
http://www.airboytuning.com/rates

Rates
Dyno setup: $60

Dyno rental: $120/hr

Tuner: $100/hr

Baseline pulls: $120 Includes setup, 3 pulls and AFR hookup.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline wrxsti15

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 02:34:32 pm »
That's something you should probably ask Airboy directly.
there is so many guys here that already did this, so just wondering how much they paid...

http://www.airboytuning.com/rates

thanks...
I hate hourly rates... because I still don't know the price... :D

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 02:40:03 pm »
We all paid based on our mods. Some of us took longer, some of us took less. It depends on how much Sunny had to fix on the dyno (loose connections in the car, etc), what mods we had that he accomodated for, and other factors.

For the best idea, I would call or email Sunny. I had a turbo swapped 04 STi with 170km, 3 port ECBS and EWG. I doubt you'll pay the same I paid.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2015, 02:51:34 pm »
Thanks a lot! Ive been reading and some have recommended ACN...

every car is different, but my STI only likes Cobb's ACN maps. there are a couple of threads out there where Cobb recommended that Canadians run Cobb ACN maps because of our (apparent) poorer quality of gas up here. and I know Airboy has commented on the variability of our "premium" gasoline quality in the past.
when I was stage 1 I logged knock with Cobb's regular 91 map on Shell 91. Husky 94, or Chevron 94 seemed fine, but they're not always easy to find. with Cobb's stage 1 ACN 91 map I've logged zero knock on Shell 91 and Husky 94.
Cobb's stage 2 maps are the same story. other than a bad tank of Shell 91 I've had no issues with my ACN stage 2 map. YMMV.

So running ACN map will air on the side of caution as compared to regular 91 map?

Anyone in Calgary running OTS maps? Not sure if elevation makes a difference for our cars, knowing naturally aspirated ones do. Would the Cobb OTS map be a better map compared to our ittshay stock ones?? I know the stage 1 wont yield a huge difference in power, looking for more reliability until I get to Airboy in the spring.

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2015, 10:50:47 pm »
Finally decided to install the SF intake and go stage 1. Already had my Invidia Q300 on the car.

Updated the V3
Downloaded the Cobb maps from Cobb website
Running Cobb Stage 1 +SF ACN map
On Shell 91

Have to say... first impression was that it almost seemed slower but after a bit of driving I definitely noticed a much smoother power distribution across rev's.

Could anyone have a quick look at my data log? Started at 2500rpm in 3rd and did WOT into 5th. Will do a few more data logs in the next few days. Is this how I should be data logging? Just went off Cobb and it said to start 2500rpm on 4th, but I started on 3rd.

Thanks!

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:26:53 pm »
You're showing some small knock corrections. No biggie. I'd certainly stick with the 91ACN map. Boost looks normal.

I'd roll with what you got.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2015, 10:51:49 pm »
You're showing some small knock corrections. No biggie. I'd certainly stick with the 91ACN map. Boost looks normal.

I'd roll with what you got.

Thanks for having a look! Been cruising around this weekend and hitting target boost everytime +/- 1.0psi... Feedback and fine knock ranging from -1.4 to -2.71 was my highest there... But more consistently at -1.4. What are acceptable knock values? Should it ever be at just 0?

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 12:04:51 am »
For anyone following this thread, pretty easy read from Cobb

http://www.cobbtuning.com/subaru-knock-monitoring-and-dit-knock-logic-changes/

Found my answer about knock

Offline saltychase

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 wrx hatch, 93 eunos roadster
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2015, 05:53:15 pm »
Do lots of people on this forum use ots maps on a regular?

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 20 civic si
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 12:19:08 am »
The only time i used the ots map was the stage 3 94. Amd that was just to get the car to airbou for the tune. And i personally paid $550, but could differ depending on your mods
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 08:41:00 am »
I'd be happy to run the 91ACN OTS maps. While they aren't as good as a professional tune, they're still a good improvement over stock.

Offline saltychase

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2011 wrx hatch, 93 eunos roadster
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:59 am »
I recently ran ots 91 with sf with shell 91 and was getting consistent readings of -6.5 feedback knock on stoney trail. Pretty much cried and itshay my pants. Figured I'd try different fuels before I wrote off my engine so switched to Petro ultra 94 and readings went down to -2.8 and fine knock of 2.8 but still quite consistent. Then after reading this thread switched to acn91+sf and ultra 94 and only get readings of -1.4 feedback no fine so far. Just my personal experience hope this helps.

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2015, 12:31:37 pm »
I recently ran ots 91 with sf with shell 91 and was getting consistent readings of -6.5 feedback knock on stoney trail. Pretty much cried and itshay my pants. Figured I'd try different fuels before I wrote off my engine so switched to Petro ultra 94 and readings went down to -2.8 and fine knock of 2.8 but still quite consistent. Then after reading this thread switched to acn91+sf and ultra 94 and only get readings of -1.4 feedback no fine so far. Just my personal experience hope this helps.
Do lots of people on this forum use ots maps on a regular?

Running Cobb OTS 91ACN normal wastegate. Hitting target boost on all drive modes; I, S, S#. Getting feedback knock and sometimes fine knock -1.4... the very rare time -2.8. Will data log and send to cobb or post here for more opinions. However from the previous post from cobb website, my DAM is always at 1.0 so not too much to worry about... Might try the lower wastegate map to see if it makes any difference. Not sure how winter will affect it but will have on accessport ready to reflash until I get to Airboy in spring.

Offline Shazor

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 12:33:06 pm »
Also on the cobb link I posted above at the bottom... it said reflashing the ECU sometimes after riding on an OTS map might help eliminate the fine knock learning...
Still strongly think the protune will be best option. I just wanted to get away from the ittshay stock tune so running ACN for now.

Offline kingbird72

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2015, 11:49:03 pm »
I found this from nasioc, have a read

"Hi there. Unfortunately, there's more to gas than just the rated octane when it comes to knock resistance. That means that all 91 gas, for example, is not created equal. We know this is definitely the case as it has been demonstrated here in the U.S. repeatedly via the poor quality Arizona, California, and Nevada gas.

We do not have very many Canadian customers nor do our shops tune very many cars running on Canada's gas. But, we have generally noticed that the 94 octane available there tends to react closer to our 91 or 91ACN gas. As such, generally you can see a lot of knock correction trying to use our 93 maps on the Canadian 94. That seems counter-intuitive, but it is what it is and we've seen it on multiple platforms we support (including Nissan GT-R). We do not have enough data to determine if that is certain regions of Canada where the fuel quality is poor or if there is some other pattern here.

Because of this, we generally recommend that you start with the 91ACN map on any Canadian fuel (of course the fuel has to be rated at 91 octane or higher). If everything looks good (via data logging) and you wish to see if the more aggressive maps will work with your particular gas, then try the 91 map next and then if that looks good, the 93 (assuming you are using 93 or 94 octane gas or higher). Keep in mind that even the 91ACN map has a nice increase in power and driveability over stock. Maximum performance will be had with 93 maps, but if your gas quality is not up to snuff (regardless of the rated octane of your gas), the 93 map will cause you to experience less performance and potential engine damage if you are knocking excessively.

That all said, the best option to optimize performance for your given gas quality is a custom tune. There are a number of protuners that tune for the Accessport all around the word. Some will even e-tune your car which is where you send them data logs and they make revisions to the tune based on the logs (and you go back and forth this way)."

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 05:50:31 am »
Yup.

The Cobb 91ACN maps, with Husky 94, is the safest you'll get without a custom tune.