Author Topic: Kijho's 2016 Crystal White Pearl WRX ~ The End  (Read 183475 times)

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
Re: Kijho's 2016 Crystal White Pearl WRX ~
« Reply #1100 on: February 25, 2019, 02:56:36 pm »
Haha it is made by We Are Likewise, same company that makes the "death dildo" shift knob that I run (actually called the deathgrip).

Bud, if you're using a death grip on it, you're grabbing too tightly...
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #1101 on: February 25, 2019, 03:06:39 pm »
I agree. The bolts I took out of my WRX were grade 10.x, black phosphate coated. hardy af.

Unless he means the threads in the hole felt soft, that makes sense.

Most cars I've found have pretty trash threads for the captive nuts for the seats and seatbelts, I'll typically run a tap through them to clean them up and put a generous amount of antiseize on them and very carefully thread them back in. If you strip out the captive nut you're gonna have a bad time.

Also I would not be using cheese grade home depot hardware for safety equipment. I'd also be very curious to see how the airbag system is responding to having the seats taken out of the system assuming its even still functioning. Also with that low and offset seat position it looks like the belt would be dangerously close to your neck.

As an aside, these seats look really out of place in this era of car imo.

Offline Zac

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I liek stuff
  • Ride: 05 LGT Wagon, 08 Jeep WK CRD
« Reply #1102 on: February 25, 2019, 04:31:07 pm »

The seat airbag is very important, it pushes you away from the impact. Even with it you can still see the head hit the whole curtain airbag, but I guess having street cred is more important yo.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1103 on: February 25, 2019, 04:44:32 pm »
but I guess having street cred is more important yo.
Street cred? You must be a boomer. Its all about the instagram followers now.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #1104 on: February 25, 2019, 05:16:12 pm »
Street cred? You must be a boomer. Its all about the instagram followers Youtube subscribers now.

Fixed for accuracy/relevance.

DaDuke99

« Reply #1105 on: February 25, 2019, 07:07:29 pm »
I have to agree with the seats.. They don't look like they'd be very good for a dd, or even really suit the car. But I can't fault you for trying them out either, they were free after all. The extra low position would have had me selling them before I even tried I think lol, I haven't really taken pride in being able to see over my dash but I'm certain it's helped me with the whole look where you're going thing.  ;) Does it screw with the view in your mirrors?

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #1106 on: February 25, 2019, 08:05:10 pm »
Insurance? It’s what stopped me from seat changes. Seemed like too much risk.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #1107 on: February 25, 2019, 09:47:50 pm »
I'll look at all the negativity on the seats from the perspective that you guys all love me so much and really care about me, so don't worry guys, the seats are not staying installed for very long, I DD the absolute crap out of my car (if you didn't know, 100,000 km's already) and driving to work at 7am in a full dress suit and tie in these seats was probably the most uncomfortable driving experience I've ever experienced. I don't think it could get more uncomfortable, especially trying to stretch and get my key fob to tap when pulling into the parkade.

I won them from a raffle, and then got sponsored by Planted Technologies for the seat rails, so I installed them just to see what it would feel like OR as VTAKLOL put it... for the YouTube views.

They feel super awesome in the corners, and change the entire driving experience drastically - IMO, inspiring a lot more confidence and you feel a lot more connected to the car. It reminds me of my GC8, but a bit better than the GC8 was actually.

But yeah, dress suit + tie + 40km commute each way to work everyday + rush hour traffic = no bueno for me unfortunately :'(

It's obvious nobody on WSC wants racing seats, but I'll be selling them if anyone is interested, $1.9K WSC price w/ the rails.

The seat airbag is very important, it pushes you away from the impact. Even with it you can still see the head hit the whole curtain airbag.

I agree, airbags are very important which is why I don't plan on keeping them for long. Although. none of my side / seat / curtain airbags went off when I had my car accident and the only thing the steering wheel airbag did was give me burns on my forearms. Police said what 'saved' me was the seatbelt, I had a bruise across my body and waist for over a month with some internal bruising too. :(

Also I would not be using cheese grade home depot hardware for safety equipment. I'd also be very curious to see how the airbag system is responding to having the seats taken out of the system assuming its even still functioning. Also with that low and offset seat position it looks like the belt would be dangerously close to your neck.

Yup; Seat belt position is indeed higher (you can adjust it lower, but it's still maybe an inch higher than before).  It's surprising to know there's hundreds of guys on the VA Groups / Nasioc/ Subiespeed etc. running racing / bucket seats in their 15+'s, people must just not care at all I guess! I'll probably be the black sheep in the group when I post my YouTube video about WHY I don't like them ;D ;D  Wait and see the flaming I get from it, for the luls.  :sarcasm:

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #1108 on: February 25, 2019, 10:50:03 pm »
$1900 for twice used seats that retail for $2,000? Jeez, you really are pissed off.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #1109 on: February 25, 2019, 10:53:05 pm »
$1900 for twice used seats that retail for $2,000? Jeez, you really are pissed off.

w/ the rails which were +$500 cdn

The seats are $1000 USD ea. + Shipping + Duties ($1,300 CDN) 

They raffled for $2.1K so I'm probably just going to re-raffle

DaDuke99

« Reply #1110 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:49 am »
I think a raffle of sorts is your best bet. That way you don't look like a mooch, having won them and then trying to sell them haha.. If you can make back the money you spent on the base and duties etc even you'll be golden. May make for some good content too  :D

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #1111 on: February 26, 2019, 08:19:06 am »
I wish the seats sat a tad bit higher because the factory seats sit too high.

The seats are pretty nice overall though. The fact that they recline and have a built in sliders is a good compromise between a full on race bucket and these. For someone looking for a solid in-between seat this is a great option.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #1112 on: February 26, 2019, 08:30:23 am »
When we put the Evo 8 seats into my GD, we used spacers between the rails and the seats. Maybe an option?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1113 on: February 26, 2019, 09:11:36 am »
When we put the Evo 8 seats into my GD, we used spacers between the rails and the seats. Maybe an option?

I suggested that to him as well but I think there are more cons to these seats than pros. It was more or less an experiment with something that was had for free.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #1114 on: February 26, 2019, 10:36:50 am »
I would be interested to sit in that car with these seats now, how tall are you?

First time I sat in the car I felt like I was wayyyyyy too high for my liking. But compromising vision just to sit low likely wouldn't be ideal either.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #1115 on: February 26, 2019, 10:48:51 am »
I'm about 5' 9" and in my opinion I feel like I'm sitting about 2 inches lower down. I can see just the very tip of the hood scoop still, but they're definitely lower. I know this is the same pretty much for all the YouTube guys I talk to (MyWRX, TrackRecord, Dustin W, Caliwrx).  Those guys don't seem to mind it, but I think they're all taller than me ;D ;D

But try getting in and out of them with a dress suit on. It's literally impossible, and you're going to rip something somewhere.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #1116 on: February 26, 2019, 11:07:06 am »
For a track car, it's great. For a daily, it's a pain in the assay.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #1117 on: February 26, 2019, 12:07:49 pm »

It's obvious nobody on WSC wants racing seats, but I'll be selling them if anyone is interested

Speak for your self.

I'd be interested in them. I'll double your initial interest in them...no wait..TRIPLE it! ;D

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1118 on: February 26, 2019, 12:11:38 pm »
I'm about 5' 9" and in my opinion I feel like I'm sitting about 2 inches lower down. I can see just the very tip of the hood scoop still, but they're definitely lower. I know this is the same pretty much for all the YouTube guys I talk to (MyWRX, TrackRecord, Dustin W, Caliwrx).  Those guys don't seem to mind it, but I think they're all taller than me ;D ;D

But try getting in and out of them with a dress suit on. It's literally impossible, and you're going to rip something somewhere.

I know that struggle, my car is low, and the previous owner also installed an HKS lowering seat rail, to put the seat even further down. Sitting in my seat with the door open I can touch the ground with my hand. Personally I love that, you feel so planted.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1119 on: February 26, 2019, 12:27:21 pm »
The struggle is even more real when you are already short and then you throw a bucket in the car. I legit barely see over the steering wheel but I make it work.

FB_IMG_1536036548823 by Stephen Mitchell, on Flickr
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1120 on: February 26, 2019, 12:28:58 pm »
The struggle is even more real when you are already short and then you throw a bucket in the car. I legit barely see over the steering wheel but I make it work.

Ghost driver! Looks super planted though!

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
« Reply #1121 on: February 26, 2019, 12:37:46 pm »
That about sums it up, yup! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #1122 on: February 26, 2019, 01:10:00 pm »

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #1123 on: February 26, 2019, 01:40:52 pm »
I had this problem sitting in Jonny's car at AutoX, I could barely see over the instrument cluster cowl. I am surprised I was able to place the car where I did and go as fast as I did LOL.

Just #GDSubaruThings.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #1124 on: February 26, 2019, 10:32:40 pm »

Low-Seats
by jean valjean, on Flickr

Darn it, Gabe, you took a better picture than me with my camera. 

Clearly, tall white guys have no problem with the seat.  The solution, Spencer, is that you need to up your calcium intake. 

Funny enough, my wife took the car for Gid's piano lesson today.  When they returned, she complained how she couldn't raise the seat.  Actually, she had a lot to complain about the car.  "I don't care, sell it if you want to."  That's a change of heart from her. 

Sucks that the seats didn't work out for you though.  Carbon seats are my wet dream.  Although, I have very specific seats in mind for my fantasies. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube