Author Topic: Float chargers...  (Read 1548 times)

Offline hoocli

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: WRX 2005
Float chargers...
« on: November 12, 2015, 11:23:47 am »
Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out the best way for my battery not to die over the winter. I only drive it once or twice a week sometimes not for a couple weeks(05wrx). With winter coming I'm concerned about damaging my yellow top battery.

Was hoping I could hook up an underhood float charger so when I plug in my car it will turn on float charger and my block heater.

Has anyone had any experience with these? What's a good one to pick up.

I don't really want to hook up a charger every time I park the car in the non heated garage.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Re: Float chargers...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 11:32:41 am »
The yellow top is a deep cycle AGM battery so it being damaged by being drained is far less of a concern than with standard batteries.

Quote from: Optima Product Information
The YELLOWTOP can repeatedly be brought back from deep power drains to full charge, so it can power plenty of electronics and still start you up time after time.

Do you use a block heater? If so and you were concerned about the cold you could also purchase a battery warmer. They sell sell subaru branded ones, but they have the identical kit at Canadian Tire less the Subaru emblem. SGP stocks the battery warmer, I picked one up with my last order.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 11:52:20 am »
My Ranger sits on the street and sometimes doesn't get started for 8 weeks. I have one of those $10 2.5W solar battery maintainers from Canadian tire that sits on the dash. It starts at -30 when my STI decides it take a sick day.

If you're leaving it in the garage, get this puppy. - http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-intelligent-battery-charger-2a-0111506p.html

Use the ring terminal accessory for hooking it to your battery, then feed the one end out your grill. Don't even have to pop the hood, and if you forget to unplug it before driving off it will unsnap.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline hoocli

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: WRX 2005
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 12:53:07 pm »
The yellow top is a deep cycle AGM battery so it being damaged by being drained is far less of a concern than with standard batteries.

Do you use a block heater? If so and you were concerned about the cold you could also purchase a battery warmer. They sell sell subaru branded ones, but they have the identical kit at Canadian Tire less the Subaru emblem. SGP stocks the battery warmer, I picked one up with my last order.
yea I use a block heater, my concern is cold tends to kill / drain batteries and I want it to start up when I go to use it after it sits for a week or two.

I can't use a solar charger because its in the garage and the cigarette lighter is only active when the car is in acc position on the ignition so it wouldn't charge unless the key is in from my understanding. Domestics are always on.

I was thinking of using something like that. Wanted to know which was a good one.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »
I have my car on a battery tender plus. I don't have any issues with it so far.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 07:18:37 pm »
Im using both the tiny battery tender (wall wart style) and the smallest genius one (I store my bike and my wife's convertible every winter) had good luck with both of them. the battery tender was more expensive (the genius ones go on sale at ctc every once and a while). I like the genius better, the lights are more informative, and does 6V too (not that I have anything 6V to charge). I think both came with both clips and ring terminal options. I had a cheaper one from napa, it might have lasted about a winter and a half before it just quit.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 07:45:58 pm »
Start from ~2:30 if the link doesn't take you there automagically

https://youtu.be/Bczwt1Ug2zU?t=2m28s
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.