Author Topic: Heater Dilemma  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Splitfyre

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 08 OB 2.5i & 07 Impreza
Heater Dilemma
« on: October 24, 2015, 10:03:58 pm »
Hey guys,

Before anything else, I've already searched several forums and what I'm experiencing is different from all the other "heater issues" that come up.

I have an 03 Forester and I've noticed ever since I got the car last year that my heat goes weak after driving the vehicle for some time. Unless I turn the temp dial all the way to 30, then I get full heat.

I tried to burp the cooling system, flushed the heater core, checked the blend door, replaced hvac controls, but still the problem exists.

I kinda find this issue weird because I know most of the people that are having heater problems don't get heat off the bat or even any heat at all. On mine when the vehicle first starts up and goes to it's operating temperature, the heat is good and I have no complaints. Then I drive around for 20-30mins and then the heat slowly fades away, I turn the temp dial all the way to max to get the heat back. But of course I don't want full heat all the time. Btw, I have the auto climate control.

I'm sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share my issue and maybe somebody can shed some light on this.

Thanks!

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Re: Heater Dilemma
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 02:15:57 am »
I apologize if I'm wrong in assuming however, I don't think there's a problem at all. Your car is simply trying to regulate temperature. If it feels it's too hot, it'll try and cool down, and vice versa. Both my bmw and subaru do this. I also allow it to control fan speed to help keep it in a very comfortable zone. Set it up properly and it'll do all the work for you. Just set temp and let it do its thing.

Do you have any of the controls on auto other then temp?
Try cleaning the temperature sensor. Might help possibly if there really is a problem.
Does the same thing happen in another Forrester with the same options?
Have you had auto climate control before?

Again, I apologize if I'm assuming too much. I come across too many people who just don't understand the whole auto climate control thing. Sadly my parents included. Both my parents love being in my car because it's always at a comfortable temp. Theirs is always too hot or too cold.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Splitfyre

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 08:04:11 am »
Hey thanks for the input!

But the thing is sometimes I don't even have the setting on auto. For example: I start the car and warm it up in the morning and it gets up to operating temp, I have the temp dial to 25 it blows real good heat. Then I drive off to work for 20mins, heat starts to decline so from 25 I slowly increase the heat to 30 and the heat goes back again and stays.

I refuse to think my heater core is shot because it still produces heat. My blend door is still operational because the temp is gradual when I move the dial. Where is the temp sensor located?

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 09:59:17 am »
Pretty sure my 2004 Forester XT operated in a similar way. At first the vehicle would heat up well but after driving the vehie for an extended period of time I would have to keep turning the heat up. Then I would have to turn it down because it gets too hot and the cycle continues. Essentially the auto climate control didn't work at all.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 10:38:52 am »
The climate control is garbage.

But, that said, do you have a method of checking the coolant temp? OBD dongle and Torque, Tactrix, etc...
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Splitfyre

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 11:43:50 am »
So I guess my issue is a normal thing that happens with the auto cc after all. I don't have a method of checking the temp, but I can borrow a laser temp gun and check it.

Thank you for the input guys!
I just have to keep turning the temp dial up and down when the temperature is too extreme.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 01:30:24 pm »
Idk, mine works beautifully. It's not the most immediate but give it time and it'll do it all for you...

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2015, 01:39:11 pm »
For a 2hr+ trip, it's great. For 20min, it blows
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Splitfyre

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 02:30:29 pm »
But let's say you guys have it on 25c, does it feel like 25c for a while and then slowly feels maybe around 18c?

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '18 Golf R
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2015, 04:23:17 pm »
But let's say you guys have it on 25c, does it feel like 25c for a while and then slowly feels maybe around 18c?
My subaru did this all the time. It would heat well until I started going to work and it would get colder and colder, so I would have to turn it up and up. and then it gets to hot and I have to turn it down. 97 JDM WRX. Climate control never worked right. I just cranked it and opened my window to regulate the temp.
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline Splitfyre

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2015, 05:30:14 pm »
Yeah, I posted the same question on Subaruforester.org. They told me the same thing, that this is normal on the auto climate control equipped Subies. That kinda sucks.

Welp. That scratches off one issue that's been bothering me for a while. Really appreciate the input guys!