Author Topic: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Sound Dampening Part 2  (Read 18349 times)

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 WRB FSXT
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Summer tunes
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 03:56:08 pm »
I accepted that a spacer is needed for the Polk speakers in the door so I spent the weekend doing a DIY spacer.
There were a few common materials people use, but I didn’t want to make a custom spacer out of Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) or any type of wood because I didn’t want to chance it to absorb moisture, or soak in water or what not via weather, or car wash and have to go back in to fix it. I wanted to do some sort of plastic but I couldn’t really find a material that I liked. I also didn’t want to spend a ridiculous amount of money for pre-cut spacers that can be purchased on amazon or eBay or whatever either.
I ended up finding some Elmer’s Foam craft board at the dollar store for $1.25 and it seemed like it was the perfect material. So I decided to pick up a sheet that was 20 x 30 x 3/16 inches and see if I can make spacers for $1.25.

Before I got started on the mini project, I decided to do a very minor test of the material on:
1) How well the hardware screws would bite and hold onto the foam board and
2) How the material would do in cold temperatures like our great Canadian winters.

So I put in a few screws from the supplied hardware by Polk through 2 layers of the foam board and threw it into the freezer overnight to see if the material would become brittle or crack in cold temperatures. Took out the test piece the following morning and it looked like it had passed the test as there were no cracks, and all the screws still bit onto the board. It held up very well in -18 degrees Celsius as per the temperature reading on my freezer... a very generous Canadian winter I'd say...

The first order of business was to make sure I was able to attach the speaker to rubber gasket to plastic universal spacer (which isn’t universal) to Elmer’s Foam board to car door. I decided to trace out the old factory speakers which had the 3 mounting points onto a piece of card board, and put the stencil onto the foam board. I ended up cutting out 4 squares (2 squares per door) that were 7.5 x 7.5 inches for a "double layer" spacer, and then I took the not so universal plastic spacer to find out which position fits best on that stencil and cut out the middle with a utility knife.

With some clothes hangers and an empty cardboard box for mounting, I lined up the speaker to rubber gasket to plastic not so universal spacer to 2 pieces of foam board and screwed them in all together with the supplied hardware by Polk. As the long screws were sticking out in the back, I cut 4 tabs of foam board to cover up the screws which will be eventually compressed onto the door to minimize paint damage and potentially metal on metal vibration noise.

Before mounting onto the door, I needed to trim off the bottom part slightly and around both corners to make sure I have enough room to put back the door panels. So far it works and the speaker hasn’t fallen out on me yet. There is a slight vibration noise while testing the speakers at a "high" volume with the panel off but it might be just the loose wiring and exposed items around the door. Then again, it's a Subaru, so almost everything makes a plastic vibration noise. There is plenty of window clearance as I can roll down both the passenger and driver side window all the way down without hitting the speaker.

Obviously it’s not the nicest spacer out there but for a $1.25 I’d say it is a successful DIY. If it all goes wrong in the future, well, I guess I’ll be making spacers with a different material.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2016, 04:50:36 pm »
Just a quick observation. Why did you make the spacer to go under the adapter instead of making the spacers go on top of the adapter.

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2016, 09:08:24 pm »
Just a quick observation. Why did you make the spacer to go under the adapter instead of making the spacers go on top of the adapter.

Spacer mounted under the adapter mainly because the adapter (plastic not so universal adapter) did not line up to the factory 3 mounting points on the car door. So I had the spacer (foam board) mount into the door and the adapter mount into the foam spacer.

Also if I had foam spacers on top of the plastic adapter I’d have a gap between the door and the foam spacer. I didn’t want to have the material bend and fold around the adapter to be mounted into the door.

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Magic Carpet
« Reply #53 on: July 07, 2016, 07:05:03 pm »
Was awesome chatting with you today :) Here are those pictures  :angel: Love your ride

20160707-DSC_0037 by Ivan, on Flickr

20160707-DSC_0039 by Ivan, on Flickr

20160707-DSC_0040 by Ivan, on Flickr

20160707-DSC_0038 by Ivan, on Flickr

20160707-DSC_0037 by Ivan, on Flickr
My 2006 STI Build:*Sold*
Project "Panda"
My 2014 XT Build: *Sold*
Project "Panda" #2
My 2016 Golf R Build Project "Panda" #3

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #54 on: July 07, 2016, 07:13:06 pm »
I was curious who was going to pick this up. Looks great on your FXT Sport Wes.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #55 on: July 07, 2016, 07:52:42 pm »

He actually just came for a test fit xD I sold right after he left to another buyer
Project "Panda"
Project "Panda" #2

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #56 on: July 07, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »
Was awesome chatting with you today :) Here are those pictures  :angel: Love your ride

Likewise! Thanks again for the test fit - really appreciate it!

Haha thanks Stephen, but unfortunately I wasn't the lucky buyer.

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2016, 09:49:14 pm »
He was the guy in the green truck, just came as you left
Project "Panda"
Project "Panda" #2

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #58 on: July 07, 2016, 10:01:17 pm »
Likewise! Thanks again for the test fit - really appreciate it!

Haha thanks Stephen, but unfortunately I wasn't the lucky buyer.

That is too bad it looks great on the XT.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Dev

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #59 on: July 07, 2016, 10:08:51 pm »
That is too bad it looks great on the XT.

I agree 100% that's why I wanted to take the pictures :D It was a little too long for his fozzy though, the spoiler would hit the box and moving the box too much forward would mess with the weight distribution.
Project "Panda"
Project "Panda" #2

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - True Fogs
« Reply #60 on: July 08, 2016, 11:46:54 pm »
I came across a good deal on a brand new set of Hella 500 Fog lights (HELLA 005750971) and I swapped out the Hella Black Magic Driving lights for them earlier this afternoon. The Hella Black Magic lights were great, but they did not fit my needs and it was not feasible using them in city limits. They would be better suited for rural areas or off-roading, and since I live in the city and don't do off-roading, it didn't make sense for me.

For those who are interested, the write up for the Black Magic could be found on the first page under heading “September 19, 2015.”

The install is relatively easy as I had previously purchased the 9006 bulb connectors, micro relay and an OEM switch to hook everything up. The only other items used in this install were some galvanized angle iron purchased from Home Depot to mount the lights, spare screws, washers, nuts, shrink wrap, and solder.

The galvanized angle iron was cut to about 39 inches in length, and with the leftovers I cut two 3 inch pieces as “mounts” for the lights. Solder on the 9006 bulb connector to the Hella 500 lights with the correct wire placement and mount up the lights with the included hardware to the 3 inch bracket. Once assembled it should look something like this:

I had a bin of extra screws, washers and nuts and picked out quantities of 4 (2 sets per mount) to bolt everything down. Use the extra screws, washers and nuts to bolt the “mounted light” onto the 39 inch angle iron. (Placement may vary depending on your vehicle and your preference). I mounted mine so the backside is flush and I can have the light rest on the bumper Styrofoam. The whole set up should look something like this:

I used the bumper beam bolts either side of the vehicle to mount the 39 inch angle iron, plugged in the 9006 bulb connector to the factory wiring harness for fog lights and the job is done.

Went for a quick drive as the sun went down earlier and as these Hella lights are true fog lights, the light output from the lens projected more “east-west” than the Black Magic driving (pencil beam) which projects the light straight ahead or “north.”

Even though the lights are behind the grille, the light output was not too restricted with the Sports grille in front of it and the light was able to spread out to each side. The Hella light is also more of a halogen lamp so it does look more of an “amber” color to it … not sure if putting Yellow Lamin-X on the lens would the make the lights project more of a “Yellow” color instead of the "amber"?

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Yellow Lamin-X
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2016, 12:04:35 am »
I decided to go "yellow" on my Hella 500 Fog lights so I ordered some Yellow Lamin-X last week and had finally arrived. Ordered two 12"x 12" sheets which they conveniently made into one uncut sheet, which is basically 24" X 12". Paid an extra few dollars for Canada Post Xpresspost (2-3 days shipped) over the Expedited Parcel (5 days shipped) but ended up taking 5.. Darn you Canada Post!  :( but whatever, got the product in the end.

As the Hella 500 Fog lights are 6.5" in diameter I had traced around the light on the Lamin-X with a sharpie and cut out two circles that were a little more than 6.5" - also dependent on how good my scissor cutting skills were.

I read online that most people like to start applying the Lamin-X from the center of the light and move outwards, but I found it easier to start from the bottom and go upwards and slowly push the air bubbles out with a handy Starbucks gift card. Applying was really easy and there was enough Lamin-X to cover the edges of the light so it won't start peeling off as easily.

Installed the lights back on the Foz and the fog lights are now Yellow! ;D

Still looks a bit "amber" once they're turned on but I haven't gotten a chance to see the exact light output yet on the road if it is "yellow" or not. Maybe I'll try to get some photos later this week.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2016, 07:33:03 am »
Damn, I dunno how I never saw this thread before ;D  Beautiful looking Forester dude!!

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »
Damn, I dunno how I never saw this thread before ;D  Beautiful looking Forester dude!!

Haha thanks for the kind words.
BTW - I saw your video about applying Lamin-X to your Morimoto fogs and used it as a guide for mine. Awesome vid! - Thanks :)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2016, 09:34:06 am »
So. Much. Sexy!

Add me to the long list of people to contact when you decide to part ways with this gem!

Offline jtsimaras

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: looking for next subbbbie
« Reply #65 on: September 26, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »
Such a Sexxxy looking forester...  O0

Offline flipincanadian

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 08 FSXT
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2016, 11:40:34 am »
Wes, where did you order your lamin-x from?

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2016, 04:06:46 pm »
So. Much. Sexy!

Add me to the long list of people to contact when you decide to part ways with this gem!

Such a Sexxxy looking forester...  O0

Haha thanks for the kind words.

Wes, where did you order your lamin-x from?

I purchased it online at prolightz and got myself two rolls for $30. - http://www.prolightz.com/lamin-x.html

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Bigdark's 2008 Subaru Forester Sports 2.5 XT - Winter 2016
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »
Many of us Edmonton people woke up to a wonderful winter wonderland, or the annual "forget how to drive in the snow day." Decided to take advantage of the elements and grab a few photos of the Fozzy in it's natural habitat while I still had the summer set up. However, once I got out, I soon realized and wished I had my winter tires on for a day like today. I didn't want to travel too far out of my neighborhood as I definitely had very limited grip on the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's, and I witnessed many people either stuck or sliding all over the place. 

I guess it's official that winter 2016 is here! Winter tires will be going on tomorrow morning as compared to last year when I swapped them in November on Remembrance day. Cheer's to a splendid Summer!

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2016, 06:55:17 pm »
Very nice! I too was tempted to take photos, but after the scary drive home from school, I just said nope.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2016, 06:58:26 pm »
Dang.  I'm jealous of all the snow you northerners are getting.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
« Reply #71 on: October 14, 2016, 07:08:27 pm »
Beautiful FXT!

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #72 on: October 14, 2016, 07:15:02 pm »
Would you say the AS3's were still worthwhile? Or are they might as well have PSS bad.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #73 on: October 14, 2016, 08:51:03 pm »
It's days like this that I really miss driving my Subaru in the winter. That awd system is just incredible.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline bigdark

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 02:10:01 am »
Very nice! I too was tempted to take photos, but after the scary drive home from school, I just said nope.

Yeah after I got the shots I wanted, I wanted to be off the road as soon as I could lol.

Beautiful FXT!

Thanks for the kind words!  :)

Would you say the AS3's were still worthwhile? Or are they might as well have PSS bad.

I felt the AS3's were pretty bad for the conditions we had on Friday afternoon. But honestly, I think even if I had winters on I'd still be sliding a little, not as much, but still a little.