Author Topic: Car wont start after comp/leakdown? Battery appears to be draining  (Read 1748 times)

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Denali, Rivale
So... Wednesday I had my comp/leakdown done at vex, and the car started up fine there and I drove it home. It was parked until earlier today, first thing I noticed was the beep from unlocking it sounded quieter, didn't think anything of it so I got in and turned the key - dash lights up and everything seems OK but the engine won't attempt to crank. When locking the horn sounds very quiet too. I'm kind of at a loss, what would be draining the battery after the spark plugs have been removed and put back in? I had to take my other car into work tonight so I can't trouble shoot right now unfortunately, just trying to research the issue. Any ideas? :-\

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Could just be that battery got a bit weak from the compression testing. Recharge battery and see if problem returns. On a battery charger not with alternator

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
Could just be that battery got a bit weak from the compression testing. Recharge battery and see if problem returns. On a battery charger not with alternator
Yeah that's the plan for tomorrow, just seems odd, unless there's a coincidental alternator problem it should have charged fine on the 30 minute drive home.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
Loose connection maybe? Battery has to come out to access the driver's side sparkies.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
Did you have heated seats on, defrost, heat, radio, etc? All that stuff obviously takes an incredible amount of power. So unless you were at like 3 grand RPM the whole time, it's unlikely to actually get a decent charge from the alternator

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
^I just remembered that I actually went somewhere 20 mins after I got back from Vex, THEN came home and parked it for the last 2 days. So it started up twice that day after the test. I was hoping it was just a low battery but now I'm worried it's something more complicated. Fingers crossed for loose/dirty connections on the battery.

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
Re: Car wont start after comp/leakdown? Battery appears to be draining
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:02:18 am »
Just checked with a multimeter. Voltage was down to 11.5, and there seems to be about a 150mA drain at the moment...

Offline KennyB

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05 STi
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 07:35:05 am »
Go through the fuse box with your ammeter and see which fuse is pulling current to help pinpoint where it's going.

Offline tcon

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 03:00:19 pm »
Ok, so I found the fuse that was drawing the current. It's labeled as Unit +B and it's in the fuse box just under the steering wheel. Pulling the fuse seems to disable the SI-drive modes and center diff lock, so I'm guessing it's center console related?