Author Topic: E Brake won't engage in the cold?  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2013 STI
E Brake won't engage in the cold?
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:22:53 pm »
So with the recent cold weather my issue with my ebrake not engaging has come back. Once the temp hits -10 ish I can pull up on my ebrake and it will just fall straight back down, or in the case of today. I pulled it and it stuck but then shortly after I got out of the car it disengaged(thank god I was on level ground). Anyone have any idea on what could cause this?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Re: E Brake won't engage in the cold?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:26:11 pm »
Exact same issue with my fozzy. It feels like its something to do with the ratcheting mechanism with the lever, I've yet to take out the center console to inspect it.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:29:51 pm »
It's the spring for the release button going bad and getting "stuck" inside the handle.
I was unable to find a way to solve this as it's "not serviceable" and had to replace the ebrake handle assembly (with a part from a wrecker)

I assume there's some lube around the pin, and after several years it will freeze up in the cold and not allow the mechanism to return to natural position (hanging onto the teeth when the handle is engaged)
It's actually inside the handle which of course is stitched closed.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 02:16:34 pm »
It's the spring for the release button going bad and getting "stuck" inside the handle.
I was unable to find a way to solve this as it's "not serviceable" and had to replace the ebrake handle assembly (with a part from a wrecker)

I assume there's some lube around the pin, and after several years it will freeze up in the cold and not allow the mechanism to return to natural position (hanging onto the teeth when the handle is engaged)
It's actually inside the handle which of course is stitched closed.
Of course! Damn. Guess I'll just continue to park in gear.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 11:49:24 am »
To add to this, has anyone looked into getting a "drift" ebrake button replacement? I wonder if any of the ones for other vehicles would fit the forester?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:59:54 am »
Interesting idea. Have you tried seeing if our button will even unscrew? If one can unscrew it one might be able to service it, flush out the oil grease and pump it full of that primo white lithium ganja.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:25:12 pm »
Interesting idea. Have you tried seeing if our button will even unscrew? If one can unscrew it one might be able to service it, flush out the oil grease and pump it full of that primo white lithium ganja.
From what I've gathered, if it does actually unscrew, by removing it you will ruin it. Many people does this on the newest gen/brz ruin the original because the end has threadlock and causes the threads to rip from the plastic piece when removing it.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 05:07:13 pm »
I unsrewed the button on a leggy i had, it destroyed the button. Did the same to a couple at p&p trying to unscrew them.  Ended up making a new button out of some scrap at work on the lathe.  Threaded it on with a little loctite. Done

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 05:31:13 pm »
Has anyone seen if the button is orderable from subaru? Gonna guess not and it comes with the assembly.

As for the drift button I'm going to guess that its not commonly listed for our vehicles because AWD. But if one knows the thread pitch and OD it shouldn't be hard to find one. I think I would retain the spring however if possible because I wouldn't want it releasing while parked for some reason.

crobinson

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »
The drift buttons just get pushed on over your other button, they don't actually screw into anything.. At least thats how the one on my silvia was.

Offline Tremor

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 05:48:54 pm »
I'm going to see if I can find some measurements for thread pitch and OD and see if one from another vehicle would work. Also, the few that I've seen for FRS/BRZ you take out the original button and screw the new one in.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 05:54:36 pm »
The drift buttons just get pushed on over your other button, they don't actually screw into anything.. At least thats how the one on my silvia was.
No, the ones were are talking about are screw on, generally a single milled piece of steel.

I found one listed for the impreza all the way back to 02 which should work:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Cusco-E-Brake-Drift-Spin-Turn-Knob-Button-Red-Fits-02-15-Impreza-WRX-STi-JDM-/291500808811

However compatibility listed on ebay is ehhh at best, and its pricey especially with our crap exchange rate. would be nice if it had an allen key socket in the head of it to turn it on.

I found another listing for the same P/N that specifically says it isn't for the GD chassis:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CUSCO-MISC-DRIFT-KNOB-BLUE-SUBARU-GDB-C-GDA-C-GRB-GVB-GRF-GVF-GH8-GH-/161943417196?hash=item25b494716

So yeah not really sure what to think.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 08:51:56 pm »
Has anyone seen if the button is orderable from subaru? Gonna guess not and it comes with the assembly.

Not as far as I know.
http://opposedforces.com/parts/forester/us_s11/type_5/brake_system/parking_brake_system/

see 14