Author Topic: 2010 forester XT headlights help!  (Read 2080 times)

Offline SundayE30

• Stubbly Faced
  • Fourth and ten, bottom of the ninth
  • Ride: '99 SF5 & '89 E30
2010 forester XT headlights help!
« on: December 01, 2015, 01:54:25 pm »
Hey guys so my dad took his 2010 fxt to all makes here in Calgary for a service and one of the problems he was having was a burnt out headlight (his fxt has OE HIDs). All makes told him the 'igniter' for the headlight is toast and his best option is to get a aftermarket kit.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as to what he should buy? Apparently this igniter is really pricey from Subaru so I'd like to stay away from that option.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
Re: 2010 forester XT headlights help!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 06:30:53 pm »
Hey guys so my dad took his 2010 fxt to all makes

...sorry about that.

Are you positive the 2010 has HIDs, and not just halogens that are in projectors?
I don't recall any forester coming with HIDs (prior to the newest one) unless they have been retrofitted with aftermarket ones.
Pretty sure it's an H11.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/ca/vehicles/cars/north-america/subaru-us/forester/2009-2013/car-headlight-bulbs

If it is indeed an HID ignitor/ballast, you can get bits and bobs from here.
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/ballasts.html

Offline SundayE30

• Stubbly Faced
  • Fourth and ten, bottom of the ninth
  • Ride: '99 SF5 & '89 E30
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 12:41:48 pm »
Figured I'd update this with what I found out. A lot of the info online mislead me at the start of this but down in the states, hid's were not a factory option and up here in Canada they were. After looking at the forester  myself I discovered that the factory ignitor was in fact toast.
A Canadian company called absolute HID was able to sell me what I needed for 60 bucks + 14 shipping. Factory ignitor from Subaru would have been 300+ or something like that.

Would recommend the Absoulte HID guy. He's very knowledgable and actually started the company out here in Calgary. Based out of Toronto now I believe.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 06:24:57 pm »
Figured I'd update this with what I found out. A lot of the info online mislead me at the start of this but down in the states, hid's were not a factory option and up here in Canada they were.

Yeah, I was going to say... All of the FXTs I've seen have HIDs, but of course none have projector lenses unless retrofitted (Canuckrz :D )

Let us know how long that aftermarket igniter lasts... I'm pretty apprehensive about any aftermarket HID kit quality / longevity. It would be great to find a source that doesn't crap out within the year!
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 06:59:20 pm »
Well son of a itchbay.
I stand corrected. I had no idea.

http://www.subaru.ca/content/7907/media/en-ca/download/forester2010_brochure.pdf

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 07:27:33 pm »
Yeah, I was going to say... All of the FXTs I've seen have HIDs, but of course none have projector lenses unless retrofitted (Canuckrz :D )

Let us know how long that aftermarket igniter lasts... I'm pretty apprehensive about any aftermarket HID kit quality / longevity. It would be great to find a source that doesn't crap out within the year!

Must be luck of the draw.  I have had cheap kids that last a long long time.  So far I am very happy with the Morimoto ballasts and bulbs.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline the_snowman

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 2011 Forester
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 01:33:30 pm »
OEM ignitors Matsushitas on EBAY for 60-100 dollars.  To change from OEM to aftermarket is kinda wasteful... since OEM uses D2S and you'd have to get an aftermarket D2S kit.

my .03.