Author Topic: Stereo Cutting out  (Read 1365 times)

Offline Stig

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 DGM Wrx STI
Stereo Cutting out
« on: December 01, 2015, 03:49:59 pm »
Hey

I have a 2009 sti with the tech/nav package. The last 2 days the stereo has cut out while driving. Head unit stays on and works fine but no sound is coming out. Once it cuts out i get a fuzzy/popping noise out of the speakers when i hit sharp bumps.
I have the factory head unit with Infiniti speakers that the previous owner installed himself. I read this could be a bad ground wire? Should i be checking the connection on the speakers? Or the head unit itself?

Thanks

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
Re: Stereo Cutting out
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 05:45:37 pm »
did the PO wire into the factory wiring, or did he/she run new speaker wire/power/ground?
if they ran new speaker wire, and didn't run it through the factory loom, the wire can wear through over time and you could be shorting out near your door hinges.
if they didn't heatshrink the connections at the back of the headunit, something could be exposed back there and shorting out against the chassis on bumps.

either way, sounds like something is shorting out somewhere.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:53 pm »
Check wiring on the speakers. Good chance the connections are not done properly, or blown speaker

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car

Offline Stig

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2009 DGM Wrx STI
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:00:07 pm »
Thanks for the tips! Stereo hasn't cut out for a couple days but i still decided to do some digging on the weekend. Checked 2 speakers so far. One looked fine and the other was OK too but a little sloppy. I fixed the connections on the sloppy one and that speaker sounds louder now. Aftermarket speakers are using the factory wiring and I couldn't see anything (yet) that looked incorrect. Will see if the problem comes back or not but right now it sounds great.

Thanks

Offline Jay89

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2007 WRX airboy tuned, 2017 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2015, 10:15:06 pm »
Wiring connections on my car I did most myself. Those that I did not do I've double checked. I don't like connections that are border line ok. Must be perfect. Makes a world of difference I think.

341awhp ~330awtq
Project Car