Author Topic: Universal Brake Light Flasher  (Read 2236 times)

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
Universal Brake Light Flasher
« on: December 08, 2015, 10:47:46 AM »
Hey guys,

I have these installed on my car and some family wanted me to get them the module. These are popular on motorcycles.
I noticed they do quantity discounts, so just wanted to check if anybody else wanted to order enough to warrant getting quantity discount and split shipping.
I probably won't wait too long as I would like to get this as a stocking stuffer.

Qty Discounts New Price
1: $19.95   
2-4: $17.00   
5-9: $15.00   
10+: $14.00

(Prices are in $USD)

http://www.3rdbrakeflasher.com/brake-light-flasher-c-65/universal-brake-light-flasherstrober-m1-model-p-181.html

Thx

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Re: Universal Brake Light Flasher
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2015, 11:01:47 AM »
Don't show me more lighting!!!!!

I am probably in depending on the interest. 8)
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
I have this on my R6, $4.95...

They work good, but people behind get annoyed with it during rush-hour ;D  Jesse403 had his wired with a switch to be able to go from having the flasher on or off (and then it illuminated like normal.)

Don't show me more lighting!!!!!

I am probably in depending on the interest. 8)

You don't want the F1 rear fog anymore?! 

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2015, 11:32:54 AM »
I have this on my R6, $4.95...

They work good, but people behind get annoyed with it during rush-hour ;D  Jesse403 had his wired with a switch to be able to go from having the flasher on or off (and then it illuminated like normal.)

You don't want the F1 rear fog anymore?!

I've considered that one. It's a good deal if you don't want customization.

Reason I chose to go with the one I linked is because:

1) you can choose how many flashes and the rate they go at (I don't like the 4 fast and 4 slow of the one you linked, I just wanted fast flash and solid immediately after)
2) you can program a timeout period where the flash doesn't happen if you're in rush hour (3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds -- ie. if you're hitting the brake every 10 seconds it won't flash)
3) that module only handles 15watt max. I have 30watt LEDs (maybe 25... can't remember now.. either way > 15watt) in my brake lights... the one I linked handles 100w.

The price difference for those features was worth it for me.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 11:35:34 AM »
I've considered that one. It's a good deal if you don't want customization.

Reason I chose to go with the one I linked is because:

1) you can choose how many flashes and the rate they go at (I don't like the 4 fast and 4 slow of the one you linked, I just wanted fast flashes and solid immediately after)
2) you can program a timeout period where the flash doesn't happen if you're in rush hour (3, 5, 10, or 20 seconds -- ie. if you're hitting the brake every 10 seconds it won't flash)
3) that module only handles 15watt max. I have 30watt LEDs (maybe 25... can't remember now.. either way > 15watt) in my brake lights... the one I linked handles 100w.

The price difference for those features was worth it for me.

Oh well itshay, that's reason enough then!  Are you planning to do all brake-lights? 

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 11:42:12 AM »
Oh well itshay, that's reason enough then!  Are you planning to do all brake-lights?

I've already installed it to my car.
I set it up similar to LDS's old Subaru. I did it to the 2 taillights and left the 3rd brake light normal.

If you want to do all 3 then its easy -- only requires 1 module (as long as its not >100watts total lighting)
If you want 1 lights it also requires only 1 module.
If you want to do the 2 tail lights like I did, you would need 2 modules (I guess it depends on year, after inspecting wiring diagrams that's the conclusion I came to on my car).

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 11:43:23 AM »
Mine was all 3 lights, 5 blinks, stock lights. It was inline. No extra features.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 11:48:11 AM »
Mine was all 3 lights, 5 blinks, stock lights. It was inline. No extra features.

:-X

Ah my bad--saw your car once. Incandescent lights blink slowly. I liked the idea after seeing yours, but didn't like the speed it blinked, which is why I switched out to LEDs.
You may recall I PMed you once about it. These modules are inline as well. You program it by shorting two of the wires together and it cycles through the options.

Edit: With the number of options these come with, they are hands down the cheapest I was able to find.

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2016, 11:58:26 AM »
Bump. I still haven't ordered this, but will probably pick up 2. Anyone want in?

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »
What do you currently have yours setup to?  (Which lights, how many flashes) .. I remember seeing but forget the setup, I liked it. I'd probably be interested in 1 just to have, might be able to get away with the cheaper rear JDM fog then too if I have this and wire my own in.

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »
I have it hooked up to my regular brake lights, not the third brake light.
I needed 2 modules to do it this way. If I hooked it up to all 3 lights then I would have only needed 1 module.

Just a reminder you'll need LED if you want it to strobe as quick as mine.

The way mine is setup is the default way it comes from factory, the only thing I changed is the timeout from 0 to 5 seconds (if the brake is pressed again within 5 seconds it doesn't flash -- just goes straight to solid).
I believe default from factory is something like 16 flashes with "very fast" rate -- I believe it flashes 16 times in about 2 seconds.

However, I noticed they have "new" models so may have to look into this more.

Dynamic Timeout mode is great for vehicle often driven in heavy traffic. The mode designed to dynamically increase the timeout when brakes are repeatedly applied. In the Dynamic Timeout mode the initial timeout is set to 3seconds. After the first brake use the flasher starts timeout countdown and if the brakes are used again until the timeout period expires the timeout is set to the next level (5seconds). Timeout countdown restarts and if brakes are used again until timeout expires the timeout is set to 10 second and so on, to 20 and 40 seconds. Effectively the flasher is disabled until the brakes are not used for 40 seconds. After timeout expires the timeout value is reset to 3 seconds

I see the above is a new feature that my current ones do not have.