Author Topic: 2014/15 Subaru Forester 2.5i Issue  (Read 2004 times)

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
2014/15 Subaru Forester 2.5i Issue
« on: December 10, 2015, 03:27:40 pm »
Hey Guys,

So my Mom purchased a 2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i last year just before winter last year, during the winter, she froze her assay off.
She would drive over 30 minutes everyday to work, and the vehicle would barely blow warm air.

This is a common issue as seen here: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/help-my-new-car-is-too-cold/article17086537/

Subaru won't warranty anything, and they basically blow her off anytime she brings it up. They have been a real pain in the assay to deal with for anything (Subaru Calgary).
Wondering if anybody has ever had the same issue, and knows of any fixes?

I was considering blocking off the grille for her for the winter.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
Re: 2014/15 Subaru Forester 2.5i Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2015, 10:18:44 pm »
That's really ittshay. One of the best parts about driving a subaru is their AWESOME heaters! Bummer that your mom's doesn't work.

I don't know much about getting warranty work done, but can you not take it to Centaur to get the work done? Subaru Calgary is a shady assay dealer, judging by things I have heard in the past, and (i know it is unrelated, but) my experiences trying to find a car there. I would recommend Centaur Subaru over Subaru Calgary in a heartbeat when it comes to getting service done.

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 10:31:34 pm »
A radiator block is a possible temporary solution.

Do you have any way to read OBDII info? You can get view what coolant temperature the ECU is seeing. At least then you can guess if it's an engine issue, or a HVAC issue.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:40 am »
A radiator block is a possible temporary solution.

Do you have any way to read OBDII info? You can get view what coolant temperature the ECU is seeing. At least then you can guess if it's an engine issue, or a HVAC issue.

Ill look into this. I think I should be able to read the info with my tactrix.

This might be a dumb suggestion, but if the fresh air intake is blocked with snow and ice that'll cause that issue too.

Ill check into this as well, but she parks in the garage, so snow and ice generally aren't an issue building up.
Yes, garage parked and still has this issue.

That's really ittshay. One of the best parts about driving a subaru is their AWESOME heaters! Bummer that your mom's doesn't work.

I don't know much about getting warranty work done, but can you not take it to Centaur to get the work done? Subaru Calgary is a shady assay dealer, judging by things I have heard in the past, and (i know it is unrelated, but) my experiences trying to find a car there. I would recommend Centaur Subaru over Subaru Calgary in a heartbeat when it comes to getting service done.

I'll suggest that to her! Thanks Cole.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2015, 02:06:46 pm »
Wifey has a 2014XT.. same issue as yours.

Something we've found to help is to start the drive with higher revs (using sportshift).  It reduces mileage significantly, but it also gets the heater blowing warmer air faster.  I think I found it somewhere in this thread:

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f77/2014-forester-weak-heater-263009/
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:23:32 am »
Those N/A 4 cyl Subarus don't tend to heat up well even when they are working properly.  My parents Crosstrek had a pretty weak heater the three years they had it, and with anything below -10 you could see the temp gauge fluctuate downwards if you coast down a hill even after it was fully warmed up, yet I saw oil temps over 130 Celsius in cold weather in BC driving it hard haha.  I had the same problem with my BRZ, coasted down the Cochrane hill one winter day last year and it lost almost 1/3 of the coolant temp on the gauge and started blowing cold.  Have to drive them slightly harder in the cold (not super hard) to try and get the coolant up to temp and keep it there.

Still could have other problems with the HVAC or cooling system.
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall