Author Topic: Cool things to do in Hawaii?  (Read 1709 times)

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
Cool things to do in Hawaii?
« on: December 26, 2015, 05:49:39 am »
I'm bored, sitting on the tarmac and my gf is on a different flight so I'm killing time lol. We have a bunch planned, but any recommendations for must sees/dos on the big island? Will be there for ten days.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: Cool things to do in Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 07:21:56 am »
Clash of Clans.

Rent a convertible or open jeep and drive up a volcano.

There are also volcanos that you can tour, and walk into tunnels, or something. 

Volcanos.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline ErinJ

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2015 WRX/ 2012 Jeep Wrangler
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:31:50 am »
Volcanos.national.park national park, get there early in the day and take some.of the free interpretive walks, also you can walk down to a dormant caldara near the Thorsten lava tube. Blue Haiwiian helli  tours of the volcano was well worth the price. Also driving up to the summit of Mauna Kea the road is really not as bad as they warn you about, maybe because I grew up in the cariboo and I've done the Bella coola  hill a few times we drove up on a clear day with no snow so we where fine with our 2 wheel drive nissian. My favorite place to eat was a hole in the wall in Waimea best locco mocco and macadamia nut pancakes I think it was called Haiwiian style Cafe. 

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 11:08:15 am »
Find some Japanese food, sooooo good.

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 11:26:37 am »
The drive to Hana on Maui in that convertible.

We rented a Pontiac G6 convertible on Oahu for a couple of days, not really worth it on that island.. but if you do rent, drive to the Dole pineapple plantation for a cool tour.  On Maui we rented a Mustang GT convertible.. the drive to Hana was awesome.  Then ignore their warning about the drive back on the south side of the island and do it anyways.. because scenery is freakin' incredibles.  Only thing is if your car breaks down you're responsible for getting it back..

Other than that, Giovanni's Shimp Truck, shaved ice on Oahu's north shore, poi, and Mama's Fish House.  And the sushi.. ehrmagerd, the sushi.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 11:34:05 am »
Rent a dual sport / offroad bike!!

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2015, 12:28:38 pm »
On the big island the whole time?

Volcano is going off so be sure to see it.

If u drive near the army base in the middle of the island at night, you can often see military practising with tracer rounds. Really neat to watch.

Manta ray dive is epic. I would 100% recommend it. U can do it as a snorkel as well.

Waves will be the biggest on the north shore of the island. U have a decent chance of seeing some big waves roll through this time of year. Didn't surf much on the big island, but if youre going to try, head to the west end of the island (kona). There may be enough wrap around for good surf to learn on. Plus its on the lee of the island so the water tends to be smoother.

If you are on oahu, I can give u much more info. I lived there for 4 years :)

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2015, 12:54:14 pm »
Meet dog the bounty hunter.

Offline mrsailboats

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 WRX
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 01:09:08 pm »
Hike down to the captain cook monument.  Awesome snorkling in the bay and high chance to see dolphins.  Get there early though because the tourists coming in off the boats take it over.  Also bring lots of water, it can get pretty hot.  and again volcano national park is awesome.  We did a couple hour hike in there as well as going through the lava tubes.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2015, 03:11:40 pm »
Thanks guys. Some of these were on our list, but some other cool ideas. We're going to do lots of hiking and snorkeling, volcanos, and my gf already said she wanted to do the night diving with the manta rays.  I think we're renting a jeep to do some driving too, go up to the observatory, etc.

Offline mrsailboats

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2010 WRX
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2015, 03:51:19 pm »
If you get the jeep and want to do some 4x4.  Do the black sand beach on the kona side.  Was an awesome drive and we were the only ones on the beach.  No idea what you do if you get a flat tire out there though lol.  If you are interested let me know and I can grab the name of the beach, I'd just have to get my book.