Author Topic: Star Wars: The Force Awakens  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Electrical stuff is voodoo black magic to me
  • Ride: '11 OBP GR STi
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« on: January 05, 2016, 01:25:14 pm »
So, this movie is smashing records.

Anybody haven't seen this yet?

Definitely better than 1, 2, and 3.

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
Re: Star Wars: The Force Awakens
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:05 pm »
Saw it in Imax at Chinook and it was even better than I was anticipating and hoping for it to be! I'd go see it again :)

DaDuke99

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 01:43:34 pm »
And few friends and I are going to see it in Imax tomorrow. They're more excited about it than I am, I'm going because it's free.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
  • Ride: 2016 Escape Failtanium
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 02:46:56 pm »
While it's certainly better than any of the prequels, it was a very safe, by the numbers rehash of Episode 4.  They took zero chances.  I think it could have been much, much better, but it's an okay foundation to base the next 2 movies off of.
I used to drive Subaru's.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »
And few friends and I are going to see it in Imax tomorrow. They're more excited about it than I am, I'm going because it's free.
You're a brave man to enter a thread like this having not watched the movie yet.

Offline JimmEh

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »
While it's certainly better than any of the prequels, it was a very safe, by the numbers rehash of Episode 4.  They took zero chances.  I think it could have been much, much better, but it's an okay foundation to base the next 2 movies off of.

A lot of people I knew were disappointed. They got all caught up in the hype and forgot it's the first of a trilogy. Frodo didn't make it to the volcano in one movie (spoiler alert) This is a good start.
Johnny <3 Cam

Offline Rexy11

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2011 WRX DGM Hatch... w/ stickers!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 03:16:23 pm »
Frodo didn't make it to the volcano in one movie (spoiler alert)

itshay! I've been meaning to watch that movie for the past 15 years!!

In all seriousness, I agree with Jimmeh. I thought it was awesome, maybe purely due to nostalgia, but it was a good re-introduction to the public for the next couple movies. Whether you're disappointed with this one or not, show me someone who is not already hyped up for the next one - probably very few of them!

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 03:21:50 pm »
It fell into the same JJ Abrams-y overly fan servicey trap Star Trek: Into Darkness fell into... rehash of an existing story within the universe, far too many callbacks.  Half the movie I felt like JJ Abrams was nudging me going.... "eh... eh?? See that? Death Star but BIGGER!" 

The Good:

-The main characters are (mostly) developed well, Kylo Ren in particular seems like a realistic, flawed character, not just some overtly evil overlord, etc...I also like the concept of Fin being a stormtrooper with a conscience, that's something new in Star Wars.

-The film walked the line between seriousness and humour extremely well.

-The big "holy crap" moment near the end (I won't give it away for those that haven't seen it) was surprising, and risky, I was genuinely horrified, bravo for pulling a Joss Whedon...

-Big reliance on practical effects grounds the film in some semblance of reality.

-Final Scene gave me goosebumps.

The Bad:

-You like death stars? How about a DEATH PLANET???!?

-You liked the empire that we destroyed in ep6? How about the nearly identical First Order?

-You like the emperor? How about a new one.... uh.. but TALL!

-Why was Carrie Fisher in this film at all?

-Kylo Ren's relationship with his father is very undeveloped, perhaps that will be expanded upon in later films.

-Some of the CGI is downright terrible, like any scene involving Snoke.

-New emperor is named "Snoke" (Seriously?)

-Go home and watch ep4 again and you'll realize the script is nearly identical.

It still averages out to a good Star Wars film, but IMHO they need to do much better for Ep8/9.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 03:25:38 pm »
Take it easy on me but I have not seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Can you go see this movie and understand it without seeing the others? Or should I have a weekend marathon and catch up before? Haha

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 03:42:20 pm »
I would at least watch the original trilogy before seeing this, you'll get more out of it. 

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 05:03:12 pm »

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 07:55:15 pm »
Is this the one that starts with "The Final Frontier..  where no man has gone before," right?

>:D
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline lynx440

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2016, 01:21:44 pm »
I second TB's observations.  I was satisfied, but it was too safe.  So many little things that were redone slightly from the Episode 4.  You don't have to have X-Wings flying down a channel on the new death planet to make me think its a good Star Wars movie.  Try something new instead. 

The lightsabers were improved immensely.  Steam off of them on a cold night...yes please!! And the X-wing vs Tie Fighter battles were much much better.  But why couldn't they do more of that.  The thing that keeps me watching shows like Clone Wars and (dare I admit it) the disneyfied abomination that is "rebels" is that it continues to expand the Star Wars galaxy for me beyond what the films can provide.  More races, more planets, more details of ships and weapons and the Jedi.  This movie needed to tell us more about the universe we already know.  Not introduce another Tatooine by a different name, not another Yavin 4 by a different name.  More of the planet they find Luke on.  Something unique.  Why not more of Felucia and Kasshyk instead of more "tatooine". 

But as it's been mentioned before. This is just a start.  it leaves room for improvement and expansion in the next films. 

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2016, 01:49:54 pm »
TB you were SURPRISED???  :o :o :o :o

imo its super obvious like 3 scenes prior when theyre still at the base.

What I found disappointing was the real lack of absolute wookie rage, ie chewie running around all beast mode ripping stormtroopers in half  <-- possible spoilers for the sensitive
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2016, 02:12:53 pm »
TB you were SURPRISED???  :o :o :o :o

imo its super obvious like 3 scenes prior when theyre still at the base.

What I found disappointing was the real lack of absolute wookie rage, ie chewie running around all beast mode ripping stormtroopers in half  <-- possible spoilers for the sensitive
Do we really need to tip toe around spoilers for a thread discussing the movie. I'm very spoiler conscious, but honestly if someone comes into a discussion thread named after the movie and has it spoiled for them they were kind of asking for it.

From a story perspective the new death planet thing kind of makes sense, if you're a superpower, especially an evil one you need some sort of weapon of mass destruction. Not just from a plot perspective but from a logical one where you need some sort of deterrence to use over the people they plan on ruling over. That being said its cheesy how its always the same damn thing, giant sphere with giant laser with tiny weak spot. It kind of reminded me of this line from team america world police when they brought it up on the hologram comparing it to the old death star:

That being said, star wars is intentionally cheesy at its core and is kind of suppose to be that way. I just wish they would be a bit more creative with the cheese. On a related note it also annoyed me that they didn't flesh out the story of the new republic at all, just lol the senate is massive again and helping the rebels, lets immediately wipe them from the face of existence so we don't have to deal with them a few minutes into the movie.

-Why was Carrie Fisher in this film at all?
Honestly enjoying any of the parts she was in was made more difficult after the huge uproar prior to the movie coming about about how wrong it was to ask her to lose weight for the part. Then that turned into this huge SJW fest ignoring the fact that you are hired to play a character, they are not hiring you as a person. In every single movie the actor has to conform to the vison of the character put fourth by the creator of the story, this is nothing new or wrong. That being said I don't feel like she did a bad job in the acting department in the very minimal role she was given, wasn't anything amazing either.

DaDuke99

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 10:46:02 pm »
OK seriously...
The whole damn planet destroyed by that one installation? Did they not learn from the death star(s)?! Like.. The death star was even harder to blow up!
And what's with them not using hand rails in the only places that really need them?! The giant long walkway across a massive open pit doesn't have one, but the second floor up from there does?

It was OK... But really irritates me on trivial crap.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:27 am »
haha I dunno what youve been watching but trash compactors with no biometrics scanners and no internal manual shutdown override???... I'd say the dark side's OH&S standards are simply not up to snuff.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff

DaDuke99

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 09:41:39 am »
Do we really need to tip toe around spoilers for a thread discussing the movie. I'm very spoiler conscious, but honestly if someone comes into a discussion thread named after the movie and has it spoiled for them they were kind of asking for it.

I agree with this. I came into the thread right away once it was made, because I felt that the chances of spoilers were pretty low. Hadn't set foot back in here until I saw it

Offline Cagare

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2004 Corvette Z06, 2019 G70, 2015 Grand Caravan
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 09:49:02 am »
... I'd say the dark side's OH&S standards are simply not up to snuff.

Don't give Disney any more ideas for movies...  Star Wars First Order: JOHSC

Sounds cool, till you go see it.

Offline Mitnek

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Electrical stuff is voodoo black magic to me
  • Ride: '11 OBP GR STi
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:42 am »
haha I dunno what youve been watching but trash compactors with no biometrics scanners and no internal manual shutdown override???... I'd say the dark side's OH&S standards are simply not up to snuff.

I think if they have the budget for giant planet destroyers, they don't care about the insurance premiums :D

Regarding cheese... These movies have always been cheesy. I believe the genre is "space opera" and not actually sci-fi? I think that just means they can get away with campy stuff and bad dialog.

The dialog in this movie was pretty good, and even funny at times. I'm not sure if that's what the Star Wars universe is supposed to be (I never watched the cartoons), but I liked it.

Offline lynx440

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2016, 10:03:55 am »
Honestly enjoying any of the parts she was in was made more difficult after the huge uproar prior to the movie coming about about how wrong it was to ask her to lose weight for the part. Then that turned into this huge SJW fest ignoring the fact that you are hired to play a character, they are not hiring you as a person. In every single movie the actor has to conform to the vison of the character put fourth by the creator of the story, this is nothing new or wrong. That being said I don't feel like she did a bad job in the acting department in the very minimal role she was given, wasn't anything amazing either.

Yes, all the clamor about her image was distracting.  But for me, what was worse is how she talks now... Like what happened!?!  She was the clear speaking, properly enunciating pretty girl in IV, V, and VI, and now 30 years later she's a drooling bar maid that talks through her molars?   Like how bad did she pickle her brain?  Even in "When Harry Met Sally" she still had it...and now its so gone.  Did she have a stroke we don't know about? 

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 10:15:24 am »
Yes, all the clamor about her image was distracting.  But for me, what was worse is how she talks now... Like what happened!?!  She was the clear speaking, properly enunciating pretty girl in IV, V, and VI, and now 30 years later she's a drooling bar maid that talks through her molars?   Like how bad did she pickle her brain?  Even in "When Harry Met Sally" she still had it...and now its so gone.  Did she have a stroke we don't know about?

Shes been replaced with a Synth.

Offline Tenacious_B

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Rage Monkey
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 10:35:07 am »
Drugs man.

Offline Rathburn

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Pork chop sandwiches
  • Ride: Generic SUV
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 10:49:18 am »
Shes been replaced with a Synth.

uckfayin' Synths...
Is illmotion's sunday school where you learn about how Stance Jesus scraped for your sins?
Roxanne - 2015 WRX Ginger - 1990 Civic Si
Avatar courtesy of Wong Photography

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2016, 04:03:08 pm »
Yes, also this. So many painful interviews with her rambling with her stupid little dog.