Author Topic: Considering an 06 Legacy GT, question regarding up pipe and oil consumption  (Read 4311 times)

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
Hey folks, here's the Legacy GT I was looking at: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2006-subaru-legacy-gt-limited-sedan/1130587611

Quick search on Reddit and LegacyGT popped up common problems such as the catted up pipe needing to be changed for an STI or 07+ one as soon as possible because the cat could break and mess up the turbo, and another problem was an oil consumption problem, something to do with the oil filter getting clogged? I also saw "banjo bolt" being mentioned, but not sure if this is related to the aforementioned oil consumption/filter problem.

I messaged the guy, and he said he didn't know about the cat problem, but knew about oil consumption. He hasn't had to top it up or anything, just changes the oil regularly and it's been fine. Timing belt and pumps done around 30,000km ago.

If the car's at 190k km and the up pipe hasn't messed up the turbo yet, is it safe to assume that it's fine to not change it? If I do change it, roughly how much would that job be? I see parts online ranging from $100 to $300, but I'm not sure how long the labor would be to do, which I'll need to factor into the cost. For the oil issue, is it something to be worried about, or just change the oil every 5000 km and I'll be good?

Thank you everyone!

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
Changing the up-pipe is a untcay, and in my opinion, only necessary if you plan on running above stock power levels.

Oil consumption is a way of life in most turbo Subarus, to a degree. Only a concern when it becomes excessive. If he honestly doesn't have to top-up between oil changes, no sweat.

Banjo bolt filter is not related to oil consumption. This filter is in the banjo bolt connecting the oil feed line to your turbo, if it clogs, your turbo will starve for lubrication and eventually die. Easy to remove.

I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
Is there a way to check if he recently topped up the oil to sell it, or would I just have to get it professionally inspected?

Regarding the up pipe, that's good news for me, I don't plan on doing any modding to any car I buy at all in the near future anyways!

So do you just remove the banjo bolt filter and put in a new one every time you do an oil change, or like permanently remove it? If it's something relatively easy to do, I could maybe quickly do it in my condo parking stall  ;D

Thanks for the quick reply!

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
No reliable method of checking if it's been topped up.

An professional inspection with a compression test would be your best insurance.

You'd remove the filter from the banjo bolt completely.

Offline Jimmy@Vex

• Inarguably bearded
  • Patchy Faced
  • what
    • VEX Performance
  • Ride: GTE swapped GS300, VIP LS430, Datsun 240Z, Outback XT
It doesn't hurt to get rid of the up-pipe. Yes, the cat can break apart potentially leading to turbo failure.

Yes, removing the banjo bolt filters is something that should be done. Another potential turbo failure.

Intercooler leaks are common, starts to leak where the plastic end tanks are crimped to the core.

Oil consumption is a normal Subaru thing, but there are things that can be done to reduce it. A good quality and heated AOS is necessary on every turbo Subaru IMO. Yes you can top up the oil between changes, but that doesn't change the fact that you're re-circulating a ton of oil vapour back through the engine. When this recir'd oil vapour combines with your fuel mixture, the effective octane rating is lowered.

My suggestion is to have a pre-purchase inspection done before buying a used car. If budget allows, also perform for a leakdown / compression test. This assures you the actual mechanical condition of the vehicle, and gives you an idea of engine condition as well.
Apexi Power Exel Certified -- Haltech Certified -- ECUTek Factory Trained -- AEM Factory Trained
Vex Performance

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
Hm, the car's in Airdrie so I'll have to see if there are any compression/leakdown stores up there!

So apparently there's another banjo bolt filter on the driver's side that should be removed when the timing belt is done (to save money/time), and I'm assuming this one's a lot harder to remove than the other one you guys are mentioning? Also, the turbo's only supposed to last until around 150,000 MILES, so that's another 50k km or so I can go, which isn't a lot.

Seems like a bunch of "normal" maintenance items to do on the car, since most Legacy GT's are reporting similar issues, but might be a bit too much of a hassle + expensive for me :/

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Your typical Asian driver
  • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
These are fantastic cars, when you can get them running reliably. Having a compression and leak down test done before purchase is a must, it will give you an idea of the engine's current health. The banjo bolt on the driver side is behind the timing belt cover. You need to take off both cam gears to remove the timing belt cover. Those cam gear bolts are arguably the most evil things on these cars...

Also, take a look at the following thread, it should give you an idea of what to expect.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-owners-248307.html

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
Looks to be a US car..?  I don't recall ABP LGTs in Canada having a tan/black interior..
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
Seems like a bunch of "normal" maintenance items to do on the car, since most Legacy GT's are reporting similar issues, but might be a bit too much of a hassle + expensive for me :/

That kinda describes any turbo Subaru. They're needy.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
Should just buy mine.

Turbo was just replaced with a brand new one, banjo bolt removed, and a brand new OEM uppipe installed...

Just sayin..
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline 05LGT

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: Toyota Echo RS
Should just buy mine.

Turbo was just replaced with a brand new one, banjo bolt removed, and a brand new OEM uppipe installed...

Just sayin..

I'll vouch for Chase's car.  Minus it being autotragic  :P
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
You're wrong, and you should feel terrible.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
Sorry what I meant to say is that I love wagons  8)

Regarding the banjo bolt filter on that sedan: "Yes the guy pulled the bolt and checked and it was clean"

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Then we should be friends.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline cmyles

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 90 Miata
Haha might get flamed for it the wagons are a bit too long for my tastes :(

Though this one looks  good:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?utm_medium=email&adId=1132700768&siteLocale=en_CA&utm_campaign=email_alerts&utm_source=alerts&utm_medium=email&utm_source=alerts&utm_campaign=email_alerts

Did a lot of work already

It's okay, not everybody can handle a wagon.

That one in the link , ^^^, actually is very well priced.
Current Vehicles
// 1990 Miata MX-5 || 09 WRX Hatch \\

Past Vehicles:
01 S/TB, 08 Spec.B, 05 Foz, 05 A4, 06 IS350, 05 LGT, 06 2.5i, 07 STi, 04 WRX, 95 GC8, 95 BG5, 94 EJ1

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
It's okay, not everybody can handle a wagon.

That one in the link , ^^^, actually is very well priced.

Yes, it is.
Makes me feel like I overpaid for my car last year.
Wait. I know I overpaid.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
Gonna see it today  ^-^

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
Gonna see it today  ^-^

So, ya buy it yet?

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
It's at VEX right now haha

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
Here's the results, and tl;dr is spark plugs, front shocks sweating, valve cover area, turbo drain, oil filter sweating, maybe change brakes (or pads?)

http://i.imgur.com/1SVm7M3.jpg

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
Standard stuff you could see on just about any '06 vehicle.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Pretty par the course for a subaru of that age for the leaks. The brake pads aren't low enough that I would change them quite yet but are getting there. Real shame you didn't change the plugs while they were out for the compression test, unless you can do it yourself later.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
So how long would the brake pads have roughly on them? And yea I realized I should've done that, but couldn't really do that when car's not mine haha.

For the spark plugs, could I go to my local mechanic to do it? Not because VEX is expensive (roughly same price), just for convenience-sake

Should the sweating/leaks be fixed or is that fine?

Thanks all!

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
Standard replacement is usually around 3mm pads left unless you had them apart already or they are wearing unevenly due to stuck slider pins etc.

Doing the plugs isn't really rocket surgery, but if you were planning on selling the car in the future usually (with Subaru's anyway) when you can say you have a service history from Vex it usually elevates how much people trust the condition of the car as they have a fairly good reputation locally; which is something to consider if all else is equal. It is odd however that in the ad the guy specifically stated that the plugs were recently replaced, I'd look into if he has the record for that being done.

As for the leaks/sweating, generally I fix them because these cars burn oil naturally enough on its own. I wouldn't necessarily say they need to be done right away either judging from the descriptions. If you are planning on fixing the valve covers it makes sense to do the plugs at the same time to save labor.

As a minor personal note I would order in some weathertech/huskyliner floor mats as those aftermarket ones are atrocious.

Edit: Was looking at original ad.