Poll

Please chose your top two preferred dates

Saturday, July 2
Saturday, July 9
Sunday, July 10
Saturday, July 23
Sunday, July 24

Author Topic: WSC Sylvan Lake 2016 Meet - Update w/ Plan & Location Info.  (Read 8925 times)

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
WSC Sylvan Lake 2016 Meet - Update w/ Plan & Location Info.
« on: January 22, 2016, 01:44:24 PM »
"Official" Thread posted - See here:  http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=51917.msg633908#msg633908

Hey everyone,

I've been reading through the discussion of the previous WSC Super Meet (2013) and am interested in coordinating another Super Meet for this year, 2016! (It's been a while since the last!) Our group is continuing the grow, and many members have changed cars over the past two years - I think it would be fantastic to bring together the folks from across the province for a 2016 Super Meet!! I'd really hope nobody would feel any objection in attending based on the car they now currently drive. This would be absolutely open to all WSC members, regardless of vehicle!

I know people don't really like seeing chaotic discussions about planning meets.. So, I'm creating this discussion thread which I will take firm initiative in managing a list of polls that will actively engage members to allow everyone to have a say in aspects of the 2016 Super Meet. If anyone wishes to further support in planning this meet, please add me on Facebook to easily discuss (PM me if you don't already have me!)

Below is this list of items that needs to be finalized. I will add a poll to this thread for each discussion - and final decisions (based on polls) will be updated below in this post. My current plan is to obtain approval from Parkland Mall in Red Deer (previous venue). I will update when I have further details on exact location, but it will be in Red Deer as that is the most central location between Edmonton / Calgary.

Once all items have been confirmed, I will post an "official" thread.

1. Location: Red Deer, Parkland Mall parking lot. Travel to Sylvan Lake. Currently in discussion - Kijho

2. Date: Poll currently open to voting above
Red Deer Mall: 10:00am
Depart to Sylvan Lake: 11:00am

I'm really looking forward to us all working together to plan an extremely successful event! I know the last meet had were some pretty cool prizes and charity involvement, if anyone has any suggestions on how we could incorporate similar ideas please comment below or let me know.  If any individuals or vendors would like to support this and become more involved in the planning, please also let me know!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
Re: WSC Super Meet 2016 - Red Deer - Polls & Planning
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 02:43:59 PM »
Exciting news. 8)

I am thinking Reflectiveautodetailing can bring something to the table.
Detailing Show N' Shine
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline canehdianJ

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2006 Lotus Elise 111R, 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe LTD
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 02:55:29 PM »
ah hah!  Dates for Summit 2016 have been announced.   >:D

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »
ah hah!  Dates for Summit 2016 have been announced.   >:D

I'm not too familiar with the previous SubMit meets, and everything that occurred in the past with them. But, I'm hopeful that as a community, WSC can bring together the Edmonton & Calgary guys for a WSC exclusive meet (yes.. exclusive.. to all of us on here who talk everyday!)

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the previous SubMit meets, but if anyone has any suggestions to ensure the success of this, I'm all ears.  I'm going to do my very best to coordinate and plan a fun meet, to put faces to many of the names of people (we) don't all know, and to bring together our Edmonton & Calgary members for an afternoon!

Offline RedBimmer93

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 03:54:24 PM »
I'm not too familiar with the previous SubMit meets, and everything that occurred in the past with them. But, I'm hopeful that as a community, WSC can bring together the Edmonton & Calgary guys for a WSC exclusive meet (yes.. exclusive.. to all of us on here who talk everyday!)

I don't want to turn this into a discussion about the previous SubMit meets, but if anyone has any suggestions to ensure the success of this, I'm all ears.  I'm going to do my very best to coordinate and plan a fun meet, to put faces to many of the names of people (we) don't all know, and to bring together our Edmonton & Calgary members for an afternoon!

"SubMit" and "Summit" are two completely different things  ;)

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 05:03:49 PM »
"SubMit" and "Summit" are two completely different things  ;)

Ahh, the relevance/ joke flew past me... Not sure what it's about then....

ah hah!  Dates for Summit 2016 have been announced.
Ha ha ha.

If you're not interested in participating and contributing to bringing together the WSC group - that's totally fine, I get it, not everyone may be interested.

I'm making an actual effort to organize something like this, so if you don't wish to participate or support my efforts please don't clutter the thread!  I've made tons of great friends on here over the past three years of Timmies' meets, and it would be awesome to have a large meet with everyone enjoying our collective passion for our cars.

Thanks to the 7 people have supported this and voted so far!

Offline darthekai

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2000 OBS EJ222 +MFT, KTM Duke 390, 1996 Ford E350 SD ambulance
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:48:08 PM »
whats the concept? cruise + park hard + eat?

summit is kind of a joke, in the past, a bunch of WSC members that didnt want to go to Submit went and did their own thing. I say its a great idea. Ill bring the mustang.  ;D
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:59 PM »
whats the concept? cruise + park hard + eat?

summit is kind of a joke, in the past, a bunch of WSC members that didnt want to go to Submit went and did their own thing. I say its a great idea. Ill bring the mustang.  ;D

I think like in the past if the Calgary people setup a cruise to come up, that's awesome.  I'd love to film like a super dope cinematic video of everyone's cars all together in big place... Something cool that shows some of the good vibes within our community (I know the Timmies' meets are pretty awesome in those late warm summer evenings at sunset when 20+ people show up)..

With that said, I'd probably have to arrive fairly early to setup. I've engaged the Parkview Mall, and requested if we would be able to use some of their barricades to block the area off.. Will update on that as it progresses.

Offline jakesubie

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 1990 240sx
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 05:58:40 PM »
should be fun im down

Offline Jesse.Korpan

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2009 Subaru STi
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 06:04:48 PM »
If you'd like some help with things like raffle license, food permit,contacts at the mall I'm the admin for SubMit 86 I'm more than willing to help were I can.

Diving in the first time is a huge undertaking.
Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty

Offline RedBimmer93

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 06:42:30 PM »
FYI i might possibly tag along. I voted for two of the saturdays, because autoslalom events usually fall on Sundays and I would rather they don't conflict with that.

Offline SnowBreeze

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: Altezza
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 03:39:18 PM »
This should be fun!

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 03:45:55 PM »
If you'd like some help with things like raffle license, food permit,contacts at the mall I'm the admin for SubMit 86 I'm more than willing to help were I can.

Diving in the first time is a huge undertaking.

I'd like to avoid making this that large-scale of an effort, and more so just a gathering of our community to bring together the two major cities our group is made up of!  I mean, if everyone wants to spot in $5 and we all collectively buy some burgers/ hotdogs and someone has a small portable grill we can setup - and we have a cooler with some soda's / waters.. I think that would be awesome. 

In terms of a raffle, not too sure on that.. might need some more input. If we require legal licensing to do things like that and accept currency - It would be cool if we had some stuff that wasn't particularly expensive and if we have to be non-profit in doing so, proceeds could all go straight to a charity (Ie. Tickets $1 ea. for a photo-shoot session etc.)

We have lots to determine and discuss still, but I'm hoping by posting this so many months in advance we can achieve success!!  I've emailed the general management email on their website, do you have any other contacts that might be better?

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 07:46:22 AM »
I'll leave the dates open to discussion & voting for a few more days still, it looks like July 23rd is in the lead currently!

Offline Stehle

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:30 AM »
July 23rd is my day of birth, and I don't know how I feel spending it in Red Deer.

Looking forward to this, though!

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2016, 09:57:20 AM »
July 23rd is my day of birth, and I don't know how I feel spending it in Red Deer.

Looking forward to this, though!

Avoid everything between Highway 11 and Gasoline Alley ;)

Except for that K_Lx guy, he's cool.
Al-Tessa
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2016, 10:00:49 AM »
Avoid everything between Highway 11 and Gasoline Alley ;)

Except for that K_Lx guy, he's cool.

He drives a Lancer, how cool could he be?
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline oilersman7

• Stubbly Faced
  • Do you like apples?
  • Ride: 2007 2.5 N/A
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2016, 10:25:41 AM »
Sounds awesome! Wanting to meet the guys and gals that make up WSC!

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2016, 12:12:40 PM »
I'm not sure why there's some negativity coming up with this. It's a little sad knowing/ seeing some members display their views on such a meet, perhaps resulting from previous events/ meets.

After talking to Cole over the weekend on Ghost Lake about the last SubMit (and then Summit meet that Curtis took initiative to create), I understand the past disappointments and why there may be some negative towards those events.

I should re-emphasize, this is a WSC only meet. It's NOT only for Subaru's, but it's only for our members, our fellow enthusiasts who we talk to everyday on this board, many whom I'd consider friends.

If people aren't interested / don't want to bring together our Edmonton & Calgary groups, that's totally fine. You're absolutely entitled to your opinion on such a meet, but it's kinda lame to bring that negativity forward and potentially ruin it for the rest.. if nobody's interested, I'll cease my efforts now.

I just thought it would be a fun afternoon to bring together the weekly Edmonton Boston Pizza meets & the Calgary Timimes' Meets for everyone to hangout, take some cool photos, maybe have a small BBQ where we all collectively pitch in... but again, if people think this is a stupid idea then cool I won't waste my time or yours!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2016, 12:43:31 PM »
I know for fact that the regulars at the Edmonton BP meets would be down for a drive to Red Deer for the morning/afternoon. I would even be down just to meet at a restaurant or Tim Horton's and hang out.
Detailing Show N' Shine
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2016, 12:50:23 PM »
It's previously been held in Jasper or Banff in the past, before SubMit or whatever happened. And it's as good idea, I'd like to have something where we, as a group of friends, can meet people who are only avatars and "oh yeah, he drives that WRB STi..." and put a face to them.

With groups this large, its inevitable that some ideas of what and where everyone should me will arise.

I'd like to suggest somewhere other than Red Deer.. as There's parking lots... and.. meh. Not much for scenery, nor is it much fun to drive there.. from either Edmonton or Calgary. Go back to Jasper or Banff, where there's sights and attractions for the family, as many members do have, and a place where having a BBQ or restaurant, or whatever.

Granted, it is a little further away for a day trip.
Al-Tessa
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
Typically, when I ran the Honda cruises, we'd always go to Sylvan Lake. Close enough to Red Deer that it's central, and as long as the weather cooperates, beach. It's less of a car meet, and more of a "let's meet up and hang out" at that point. The water park would be crazy on a Saturday, but the beach could be done, and they have fire pits, or you could bring some portable bbqs.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2016, 12:56:27 PM »
I really wanna make one of these. Hopefully this is the year. Subbed.

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1995 Subaru Impreza STi Type RA
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
Love the idea of this meet but I must also agree that Red Deer seems like a boring destination......too simple? Here is a few ideas off the top of my head,

-Westerner during an autocross weekend

-Penhold Autocross(would have to talk to Red Deer club first)

-Drumhellar near the proposed new race track(there is helicopter tours available nearby too)

-Castrol during an event weekend? Camping overnight?(its been done before by others car clubs)

-West of Red Deer towards the mountains(national park or recreational area? Better photos, better overall environment)

-Camping near Drumhellar?(This would help to include our Southern Alberta members and hell maybe a few members in Saskatchewan would pop over for the meet.  I know of a large car club who did this quite successfully a few years back, even had ppl up from the USA for the meet)
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD
1995 Toyota Celica GT SOLD
1995 Acura Integra RS SOLD
2002 Acura RSX Base FOR SALE
1995 Subaru Impreza STi Type RA Rhonda

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2016, 01:46:28 PM »
I think most of those are viable options. I'd tend to wander away from an already existing event, as we don't want to pull attention away, or ruin another club's event with the potential attention this could attract, and I'd abstain from going too far from Calgary/Edmonton, as those are our primary user bases, and we've typically kept these meets as a day trip more than anything. I'd say anything around Red Deer, or further west, that's more of less an equal distance would be ideal.

The less straight roads, the better.