Poll

Please chose your top two preferred dates

Saturday, July 2
Saturday, July 9
Sunday, July 10
Saturday, July 23
Sunday, July 24

Author Topic: WSC Sylvan Lake 2016 Meet - Update w/ Plan & Location Info.  (Read 9421 times)

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 1995 Subaru Impreza STi Type RA
Re: WSC Super Meet 2016 - Red Deer - Polls & Planning
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 03:15:42 PM »
Don't be sad, Spencer.  Considering how Tim's Meets are, I'm sure this will turn out great. 

I agree that Red Deer is boring, but I'm also not in favour of a trip that's more than 2hrs one way.

I bet we can figure out somewhere that is 30-40mins West of Red Deer which is a little more lively than a random parking lot inside a city.  A meetup in Red Deer to gather up all groups together for a cruise west with a final destination for a tailgate bbq type afternoon?
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD
1995 Toyota Celica GT SOLD
1995 Acura Integra RS SOLD
2002 Acura RSX Base FOR SALE
1995 Subaru Impreza STi Type RA Rhonda

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 03:24:49 PM »
Here's why you go to Red Deer.

1) Space.  You ideally want a large area to park a bunch of cars in...a "parking lot" if you will.  RD has that.
2) Driveability.  Red Deer is just the right distance from the largest two groups that you get a bit of a drive in but still have ample time to hard park and chat.
3) Two lane highways.  Yes, driving through the mountains to Jasper also has that somewhat but it misses on some of the other criteria.  RD is 2 lanes the whole way for pretty much everyone, don't complicate itshay as your cruise with lots of vehicles will just degrade into a complete itshay show trying to stay together as a group.
4) It's easy.  Easy is good.  People will try to complicate things.  uckfay those people.  Drive.  Talk, mock, stick some meat in your mouth.  Drive.  Sounds like a great day to me.

My two cents from a guy who's been to a few of these.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 03:27:31 PM »
https://goo.gl/maps/kEZ6FPv5CQu

There's Three Mile Bend in Red Deer, which is an off-leash dog park, as well as what looks to be lots of parking...

https://goo.gl/maps/Td3TWMxhUK92

It's within most people's range, while still is Red Deer, it's not hard parking in a mall lot.
Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 03:30:46 PM »
Here's why you go to Red Deer.

1) Space.  You ideally want a large area to park a bunch of cars in...a "parking lot" if you will.  RD has that.
2) Driveability.  Red Deer is just the right distance from the largest two groups that you get a bit of a drive in but still have ample time to hard park and chat.
3) Two lane highways.  Yes, driving through the mountains to Jasper also has that somewhat but it misses on some of the other criteria.  RD is 2 lanes the whole way for pretty much everyone, don't complicate itshay as your cruise with lots of vehicles will just degrade into a complete itshay show trying to stay together as a group.
4) It's easy.  Easy is good.  People will try to complicate things.  uckfay those people.  Drive.  Talk, mock, stick some meat in your mouth.  Drive.  Sounds like a great day to me.

My two cents from a guy who's been to a few of these.
This would also be my opinion. This meet to me seems like its more suppose to be a large community meet, not a giant misadventure.

Online 05LGT

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
  • Ride: 100% screaming bald eagles
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 03:33:22 PM »
giant misadventure.

We should do one of these as well  :P
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

If you can't go fast with 90HP, 900HP won't help you. - Bob Hall

Offline Canuckrz

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
  • Ride: 2016 CWP WRX
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 03:42:59 PM »
https://goo.gl/maps/kEZ6FPv5CQu

There's Three Mile Bend in Red Deer, which is an off-leash dog park, as well as what looks to be lots of parking...

https://goo.gl/maps/Td3TWMxhUK92

It's within most people's range, while still is Red Deer, it's not hard parking in a mall lot.

This looks like a pretty good option. Would having a portable BBQ in the lot or near the picnic benches be legal?

Offline Markkas

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2000 Version VI Subaru WRX RA
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 04:11:32 PM »
Also down for something further away (potentially in the mountains), but as stated, that can be another trip. The Red Deer area works for people from both Northern and Southern Alberta to meet.

Something to note is that because of the low CAD, I feel that a lot of people are going to be having "Staycations" this summer, and the camping areas will most likely be fuller than usual. This may affect the availability of space in places like Sylvan, Jasper, Banff, etc.

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 05:05:14 PM »
Gull Lake looks like a pretty solid option. There's a few smaller roads/ parking areas along the east and west sides of the cost, and a main large parking area at the south entrance (which looks like it has restrooms, garbage bins, benches etc.)

This would be my vote, no misadventure required.
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD

Offline chico_kj_23

• beards comin in nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
Red Deer area seems like the best choice. Sure, the road there is boring but that's not what this meet is about. I wouldn't want to drive much more than ~200km each way for a day trip either.

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:46 PM »
Gull lake has a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B, a good compromise imho.
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2016, 03:03:50 PM »
Gull lake has a little bit of column A and a little bit of column B, a good compromise imho.

Going to Gull Lake is a no win situation with a large group.  If you get there early then you become the sholeasays that took all of the parking and only put a negative stigma on a WSC event.  If you come late you won't be able to find any parking and you won't have a good meet at all.

Why are you guys trying to reinvent the wheel here?  Small packs of cars can do these things easily but it's going to be extremely difficult to do with 60-80 vehicles.

Offline Dylan780

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2003 Legacy GTB
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2016, 03:21:26 PM »
I'm down for wherever and whenever as long as it is one of the Saturdays.

Also most definitely down for a WSC camping/wilderness trip!

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2016, 03:24:33 PM »
The discussion so far is fantastic, I don't think we're trying to re-invent the wheel - but a change is a fantastic idea. Something new and exciting for the group.  I really like the idea of a lake day.. People could even pack their own foods and such, chips, pops, some "lunch" stuff, and if we can legally get a BBQ going somehow - we could do burgers and such.

I don't think we'd have 80 people coming then. Perhaps this thread could be moved to a thread not view-able to the public as to not attract outsiders/ unwanted attention to the meet (then have 80 people show up, kinda like guests to a party they weren't invited to trashing the house!).

A WSC "lake day" is pretty awesome.. We don't necessary even have to all be hard-parked together. I'm sure there's somewhere around the outside of these lakes (Sylvan, Gull, and there's some others a little north) that we could all meetup at? 

This does sound quite a bit more fun as a group than parking in the mall parking lot under the hot sun all day!

Offline e13tankbuster

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Lol.. show car...I mean, no car problems
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2016, 06:40:06 PM »
Interested. Is there any other location available in Red Deer other than that mall?
EVL STi: http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=39740.0
Hey, lazy, read the first friggin post in this thread.
Custom air and audio by Powersource Performance

Offline lakelouise02bugeye

• Inarguably bearded
  • beards comin in nice
  • vroom vroom
  • Ride: 2001 evo 7
« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2016, 10:38:14 PM »
The discussion so far is fantastic, I don't think we're trying to re-invent the wheel - but a change is a fantastic idea. Something new and exciting for the group.  I really like the idea of a lake day.. People could even pack their own foods and such, chips, pops, some "lunch" stuff, and if we can legally get a BBQ going somehow - we could do burgers and such.

I don't think we'd have 80 people coming then. Perhaps this thread could be moved to a thread not view-able to the public as to not attract outsiders/ unwanted attention to the meet (then have 80 people show up, kinda like guests to a party they weren't invited to trashing the house!).

A WSC "lake day" is pretty awesome.. We don't necessary even have to all be hard-parked together. I'm sure there's somewhere around the outside of these lakes (Sylvan, Gull, and there's some others a little north) that we could all meetup at? 

This does sound quite a bit more fun as a group than parking in the mall parking lot under the hot sun all day!

at least its something to do, you can only walk around everyone's cars for a certain amount of time before you get bored
Farewell :(  Your exhaust was inspirational.

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »
at least its something to do, you can only walk around everyone's cars for a certain amount of time before you get bored

Exactly, who wants to drive 2hours just to walk around cars for 1-2 hours and then turn around drive 2hours home.  If we want a more successful meet we need to have more than a traditional hardpark.
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2016, 07:01:42 AM »
Exactly, who wants to drive 2hours just to walk around cars for 1-2 hours and then turn around drive 2hours home.  If we want a more successful meet we need to have more than a traditional hardpark.

I mean... That's what I said in the first place. But as a counter to that, that's exactly what we've done for years.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2016, 07:36:56 AM »
How about....

1. Meetup Red Deer Mall X time  Here: https://goo.gl/maps/SAaqm6fDpLE2

2. Depart to Sylvan Lake 30 mins later  Fairly straight cruise, but easy .. 23 mins https://goo.gl/maps/wbAGSzvYdSU2  Tons of parking, with this beauty.. https://goo.gl/maps/jnjGjKBNpZ52  ;D
Even if we have to park out a bit, there's many areas within the town.

3. We all have to find parking. Absolutely does not have to be together. Looking closer at the map, there's actually a few massive parking lots / areas within Sylvan and close to the beach. There's also many large grass areas along the shore with benches, some shaded spots, garbage, washrooms etc.  We could say park wherever, and if you want to hangout with the fellow WSC'ers, meetup at "X location".  Make this a "potluck" style, everyone has to bring something to the table for food / drinks (soda's/ waters/ juice) wise.  Checkout this location: https://goo.gl/maps/bLwSVpwnsU92.  Again, we probably cannot expect to park "together," but whatever right, people can park a few blocks down, or in alternate parking areas, and walk up.  It's gonna be mid July, and we'll hope for some awesome weather.

Thoughts? :)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2016, 07:48:14 AM »
I'd actually probably show up to that. I like (some of) you people, I see enough of your cars.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline kijho

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ninja
    • Shpixx
« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2016, 07:51:48 AM »
If we were to do this, I'm sure our +1's would all be interested in showing up too!  :angel:

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
  • rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
  • Ride: 2003 Mazda MX-5 Miata
« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2016, 08:24:47 AM »
If we were to do this, I'm sure our +1's would all be interested in showing up too!  :angel:

No chance I am dragging the wife and 3 kids out to this. Call me selfish but this sounds like R&R time to me.
2003 Mazda Miata
2015 WRX Build
2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Online 05LGT

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2016, 08:28:23 AM »

I could probably convince mine to go, as long as I shielded her STI hating eyes from anything STI-ish...  ::)
I don't name things I know I'm going to sell eventually. Hence why I'd never name any kids I had.

Offline Midnightsky

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »
I could probably convince mine to go, as long as I shielded her STI hating eyes from anything STI-ish...  ::)

green painters tape over every sti badge ;D she'll never know
1993 Honda Civic Si SOLD

Online 05LGT

• rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Trained Trunk Monkey
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2016, 12:07:33 PM »
green painters tape over every sti badge ;D she'll never know

She knows.  Its not just badges.