Author Topic: JDM Parts through a Subaru dealership.  (Read 3167 times)

Offline drewfuspx

• Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
JDM Parts through a Subaru dealership.
« on: January 25, 2016, 10:49:35 am »
Hey so this is Drew Bell from Subaru Calgary.

Recently come to my attention that theres been issues with people trying to get JDM parts through the dealership and sounds like there hasn't been a lot of good communication about this.

Wanted to try and give some clarity and hopefully bring some help to this conversation, below I have transcribed a Bulletin we have received, as all Subaru dealers in Canada have, a bulletin from Subaru Canada stating:

"We are often contact in regards to supplying parts for vehicles that have not been produced for sale in the Canadian marketplace. Although we have supplied these parts in the past, Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI) are now insisting that we cease this practice.

The main reason is the fact that it contravenes the Security Export Control Law in Japan as outlined in the following excerpt from an e-mail that was recently received from FHI:

"This law (Security Export Control) is mandatory to all companies in Japan. Parts that are manufactured for JDM usage only have not been tested in any way to make sure that they can be safely installed and used for overseas markets."

As a result of this directive from FHI, we will not be able to accept any future requests for parts of this nature.

In order to assist your customers, you can refer them to a number of websites through which they may be able to obtain the parts.

Subaru Canada - Rick Bolts, assay. Manager, Parts Pricing."

So we're between a rock and a hard place, of course we want to sell parts and help out our clients, but the corporation has given us this directive that if it is clear that parts are for a JDM vehicle we cannot provide them. Now I'm not sure if there are fines or anything in place, but Subaru Calgary has been #1 volume dealer in Canada more years than not in the past 10 and so we are under constant scrutiny by the corporation, so our parts guys are pretty cautious about this.

Thanks for the time guys. Hope this helps.
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: JDM Parts through a Subaru dealership.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 10:58:58 am »
As someone who's not really a fan of the JDM, I'm going to call BS on this, unless someone proves me wrong (*cough* Amby *cough*)

As far as I can tell, the Security Export Control law is only mandatory to Military goods, not car parts.

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/anpo/englishpage.html
The Government of Japan controls military sensitive goods and technologies, including relevant dual-use goods and technologies, in order to maintain both national and international peace and security. Based on the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act (1949) and its relevant legislations, we request exporters in Japan to apply for the export license in case:

http://www.meti.go.jp/policy/anpo/securityexportcontrol1.html
In Japan, for the purpose of maintaining the peace and security of Japan and the international community, the Foreign Exchange and Foreign Trade Act (the Act) controls exporting goods and transferring technologies. The Act requires anyone who wishes to export certain goods to certain regions and/or residents of Japan who wish to transfer certain technologies to non-residents to obtain the license from the Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry if the transactions are specified by a Cabinet Order as having possibilities of obstructing the peace and security.

Not selling a few car parts isn't really against the "Peace and security" of Japan. It sounds more like FHI/Subaru Canada doesn't really want to deal with it, more than anything. I can't really lay the blame on the dealer if this is coming from the top down, but unless someone can explain how the Security Export Control law works in this case, I think it's just to avoid headaches over anything else.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 11:32:37 am »
I don't really see the connection here. Why is it Japan's problem if parts are sold in other countries that do not comply with the regulations of those countries? They're not. If that were the case, japanparts.com would be non-existent. I know some Mitsubishi dealers in the US could and did get people JDM parts for their Lancers. I got a fancy JDM front grill for my Lancer. It seems like Subaru Canada just doesn't want to do it.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline snackers

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • More uneven camber than the Westerner lot
  • Ride: Bucket of bolts and sadness
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 11:50:21 am »
If dealers supported JDM parts fully, it would have a huge impact on new car and part sales, and an even bigger impact on the used sales market.

I dunno about that.
Despite them not being supported by subaru and how many problems they have, they are still being imported at an alarming rate.
The people that are buying the import cars have no intention of buying a brand new subaru.

I agree with the above. They simply just don't want to do it. The Edmonton dealers are absolute itshay at selling parts for Canadian cars. I can't imagine them trying to sell jdm bits.

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:54:42 am »
I dunno about that.
Despite them not being supported by subaru and how many problems they have, they are still being imported at an alarming rate.
The people that are buying the import cars have no intention of buying a brand new subaru.

I agree with the above. They simply just don't want to do it. The Edmonton dealers are absolute itshay at selling parts for Canadian cars. I can't imagine them trying to sell jdm bits.

I've never had a problem ordering through dealers so long as I have part numbers. Luckily for Subaru owners, the cars are lego/definition parts bin :P
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 12:09:17 pm »
I get a gut feeling this falls under the same umbrella as Yamaha and Pianos. Since the volume in the piano industry is much smaller than cars, it is far more protected. In this case, it's much easier to see the true intentions. This is how is goes down:

1) Buying and importing a used Yamaha piano from Japan will cost you literally 25% - 50% of what you would pay for a used piano here. On top of it all, most Japanese instruments are treated with much more respect and care than North American ones.
2) Yamaha states that pianos built in Japan are for Japan only. Likewise, pianos built in North America are for North America only. They make it seem like a piano built for Japan will totally disintegrate if you try to import it here. I can tell you, for a fact, that this is a straight up lie. I've had mine for over 5 years now, and it has never been in better working condition.
3) To buy parts for a Yamaha piano, you have to provide your local distributor with a serial number. If it is a Japanese piano, they will not give you parts.
4) Pianos imported into North America have a very negative stigma. In fact, they're called "Gray Market" pianos... making them sound like you're doing something potentially illegal (like stealing satellite from the US). However, there is nothing illegal about importing a piano.

What it really boils down to is Yamaha is trying to protect it's dealers in the North American market. I see definite parallels here. Just my 2 cents.

Offline drewfuspx

• Patchy Faced
  • "Is it supposed to sound like that?"
  • Ride: 2010 Legacy 3.6R Ltd w/ M
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 12:17:52 pm »
O.k. so I spoke with Paul C. regarding this a little more as I wanted to make sure that we just weren't blanket saying that if it's for a JDM vehicle we can't supply it. If someone wants to buy USDM parts by the part number that it their perogative. So we have communicated to all the parts people in our dealership:

"As long as the customer is giving you the part number we can sell the parts, you don’t have to ask for a VIN if they supply the part number.

Most owners with JDM vehicles know that the dealer can’t look up parts by VIN so they will do the research and find their own part numbers. Sell the part and note on the invoice that the customer supplied the part number and that there are no returns"

(No returns simply because if you supply a part number it's your responsibility to ensure it's right whereas if you give us the VIN and we supply and it's wrong that's our fault.)

So hopefully this will help our guys understand what they can and cannot do. Additionally if you have a problem with a situation like this please don't hesitate to come find me, (Drew Bell, sit in NW Corner of showroom, here usually Mon-Wed 8-5) or ask to speak with Paul Craigen who is a fantastic Service Manager.
I broke it.  Just like how I'm going to break you

a piece of bread for dinner.  Want to come over? 

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:26:16 pm »
Happy to see you're making the effort. It's much appreciated Drew.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 12:41:55 pm »
Happy to see you're making the effort. It's much appreciated Drew.
I second this. Thank you very much!

Offline RedndWhite

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Classing up the Joint since 2018
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:51 pm »
Okay, that makes far more sense; we do appreciate the effort!
Photos and Stuff

Al-Tessa;
Beat'm'up
Life is too short to be stock and drive boring cars.

Offline BlackMist

• Vendor
  • Patchy Faced
  • Si vis pacem, para bellum
  • Ride: C6
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 12:59:42 pm »
That's all we wanted. Just the parts from the part number we supply, or from the vehicle that will cross reference for that particular part. Not to be denied off the bat simply because we own a JDM

Was a fight just to get an oil filter the only time I went in.

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2016, 01:52:39 pm »
I greatly appreciate the effort put forward to discuss this.

I have to side with the other guys who are saying its a fundamental misinterpretation of the law, possibly on purpose, on behalf of FHI. How long ago was this notice given to the Subaru dealers?

I use to run the parts department for a Toyota dealership back out east, and I understand that its a pain in the assay and not the most profitable to order in JDM parts.

I believe Subaru at the time and possibly still is using the same brand specific parts catalog that Toyota used, which is the Snap On catalog. Generally we only had the full vin breakdowns for vehicles sold locally likely as part of some licencing agreement to save costs, so when you put in a vehicle that was not sold locally it would either give you incomplete data to narrow down the correct part or would be absent from the catalog altogether. A few dealerships I know have gone out of their way to acquire the catalogs from EU and Japan to help out enthusiasts, but is this something I'd say we should expect? Absolutely not, but it is very cool when the odd dealership does this.

To the not profitable side of things, lets be honest here and say that in general but obviously not across the board a lot of people buy JDM cars because of performance per dollar vs their USDM versions whether there was an equivalent sold here or not. Generally this means they're not looking to spend tons of money restoring and maintaining these cars with new oem parts. Usually this means that the majority of what is ordered from the dealership is going to be things like seals, gaskets, weatherstripping, minor trim pieces etc. Ordering low volume parts from overseas is a pain in the assay and can sometimes require special ordering techniques that are a pain in the assay on the dealer end and on the manufacturer end; and generally the money value associated with these don't make it worth while. Then there are the associated shipping costs and handling fees, and draining the local stock of of quite possibly discontinued items is another concern.

This is my reasoning for why FHI has decided to pursue this avenue and siting a law to make it look like it is out of their hands rather than simply telling the customers that they have decided not to allow it.

That being said it is obviously greatly appreciated that the OEM's support their products long out of their general product life span which is why most manufacturers Toyota included have never went out of their way to do anything about this. Which is why many car manufacturers get cult followings as kids, from the supra to the sti to the rx7 and skyline and so on. Some people will end up being able to buy their childhood dream cars, others may not; but usually that person will go on to buying other new products from that brand either from familiarity with the company and product, or from trying to recapture what they wanted as a kid but in the form of the new version of that car.

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 02:43:43 pm »
I dunno about that.

This. I can't see many people debating between a $50,000 brand new STI and a $10,000, 15 year old STI.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline funk32

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • it never ends..... avatar courtesy of Danny
  • Ride: GD Time Attack car
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2016, 02:59:14 pm »
This. I can't see many people debating between a $50,000 brand new STI and a $10,000, 15 year old STI.

completely agree, when I ask people why not buy a USDM subaru. the answer almost always is I can get it for xx price vs xxx price. But if that's what ya want thats what ya buy lol.