Author Topic: Polaris' 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan  (Read 20767 times)

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Couldn't become a real doctor
  • Ride: 2005 LGT
Polaris' 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan
« on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:41 pm »
    Polaris' 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan - Simple Build Thread

About time I started one of these threads! Not looking to do anything heavy at all, both due to lack of funds as well as knowledge, so mainly using this as a maintenance/checklist sort of thing for myself, and maybe some aesthetic mods and for sure getting opinion from all of you people! So first car I had was my 2003 Lancer ES, served me well and maintenance was extremely cheap. Car was ultimately really boring and it'll soon need a bunch of work done to it so I just decided to sell it. Will miss the little bugger, could barely make it up Bow Trail from Crowchild or Stoney from Crowchild unless I floored it, and even then it'd just make loud uncooperative noises before it eventually got there.

So after looking for my next car since November, and going from JDM, to Celicas and RSX-s, to nearly screwing myself over with a bad 2003 WRX, I found bigbadboss101's leggy on Kijiji and seemingly overnight got the car inspected and finally purchased! Really cool guy, and was patient and friendly the whole time, and as for the car it's been a little under 2 weeks and I'm already pretty damn in love with it. It has the comfort I was looking for in a daily, the looks as well as the power, and the car was very well maintained. Gave it a nice wash, filled her up and snapped some quick pics (and obligatory instagram car wash pic!)

Things the car already has/work that's already been done:

• Catless up pipe
    • Cobb AP2, OTS map for 91 octane
    • Timing belt and pumps, alternator, etc. done
    • Power steering fluid flush
    • 3M on the front
    • Winter tires on rims

Now for the fun part: things I want to do with the car! I intend to keep the engine portion unchanged, mostly because I don't need the extra power or whatever anyways. Mostly aesthetic mods and regular maintenance!

Red is for completed,Blue is for future/wishlist/bucket-list

• Clean MAF March 15, 2016
    • Black Enkei Raijins and All-Season Tires Thanks to PerfectDark, May 7, 2016
    • Brake pads and rotors May 20, 2016
    • Spark plugs May 20, 2016
    • Vacuum leak from intake manifold o-ring gasket May 20, 2016
    • Turbo line banjo bolt filter removed May 20, 2016
    • Replace crank pulley and alternator and ac belt Thanks to LDS, June 01, 2016
    • Valve Cover Gaskets Thanks to Balance Auto Garage, June 27, 2016
    • Killer B PU and stock #11109AA151 oil pan Thanks to Balance Auto Garage, June 27, 2016
    • Alignment @147,650km Thanks to Balance Auto Garage,  June 28, 2016
    • Topped up ATF Thanks to RedndWhite,  July 2, 2016
    • Cleaned throttle body Thanks to RedndWhite,  July 2, 2016
    • Plasti-Dip front grill
    • Yellow fog light film
    • Front lip installed Thanks to jellynuts
    • Muffler deletes done August 6, 2016
    • Trunk lip spoiler
    • LED Interior and Licence Plate lights
    • New battery March 11, 2017 at 149,000km
    • EZ105 EZ Oil Drain valve installed May 3, 2017 at 149,500km
    • New all-season/summer tires

Oil Changes

• Full synthetic oil change and filter @ 147,650 KM
    • Full synthetic oil change and filter @ 149,500 KM

If anyone has ANY opinions, or advice, or something that should be done first/one particular way/at one particular mechanic, please let me know!!

Thanks for checking into this very bare, very simple Build-Thread!

[/list]

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
    Re: Polaris' 2005 Legacy GT Limited Sedan
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 06:31:11 am »
    Nice car! I would say definitely get mud flaps. IMO I would opt for shadow tinting over icon but other members here will vouch for icon. I would also like to do spark plugs on my car... I understand they're a huge pain in the assay.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • This is why I can't own nice things..
    • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
    « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:00:57 am »
    I'd recommend Refine Auto Salon for tinting.

http://www.refinesalon.com/

I  was going to get my GTI done there before letting the dealer do it out of ease. They gave me a great quote, and I know they've done good work on 2 vehicles of a member on here.
    If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
    I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
    But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
    So give me the vodka, and stfu.
    If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 07:11:24 am »
    Are all the RallyArmor mudflaps one size? I'd love to buy from them but I find their mudflaps a little bit too "wide"! And thanks for the tint recommendations, might go with Shadow/Refine since it's close to VEX, get both done hopefully on the same day and chill at Chinook mall so I have something to do!

As for the wheel size, I found this thread on the LGT forums: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/faq-offsets-sizes-rims-and-tires-gt-xenonk-version-4426.html. Basically seems like there are a crap ton of wheels I can put onto the Legacy, so I'll just pay attention to Kijiji! 215/225, 45 and 17 and offset of +55?

Also, I'm not sure if maybe the car was cold or something, but when I was driving to school today as I was backing out of my stall there was some squealing, and the steering wheel would barely turn at all. Guessing it's something to do with the power steering fluid or something? The squealing went away after like 10 seconds and the wheel could turn again.

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
    « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 08:23:28 am »
    If the only thing you are worried about is the width of the flaps (which is a good thing, protects the car) you can very easily trim them to any size you would like.

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
      • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
    • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
    « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 08:31:34 am »
    For wheels and tires it really depends on the look you want.

I think the legacy looks great wearing 18's but the additional cost of the wheels and tires might not be worth it to you. What sort of fitment are you aiming for? Do you want the wheels to sit flush with the fenders or do you want it to fit like oem? Do you want to run a wider wheel and run wider tires as well or is the factory 225 width acceptable?
    2003 Mazda Miata
    2015 WRX Build
    2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
    « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 08:55:39 am »
    Squeal is likely the belt being loose.. tighten the tensioner and it should go away.  Alternatively, replace the belt if it hasn't already been replaced. 

Mine happened in the cold as well, until I replaced the belt.  The original belt lasted me 9 years, lol.. should've replaced it sooner.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • stir fryin' noobs
    • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
    « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 09:04:47 am »
    Squeal is likely the belt being loose.. tighten the tensioner and it should go away.  Alternatively, replace the belt if it hasn't already been replaced.  Mine happens in the cold as well, until I replaced the belt.

+1 to this. euphorik's WRX had a gnawed looking alternator belt and it would squeal when turning and cold - got a new one and swapped 'er, no more noise. Super easy to do as well.

As for the Rally Armors, they have elongated holes so you can adjust how much they stick out, and they're fairly easy to re-drill. On my wagon, they don't actually have the holes
    templated for the wagon mounting points so I had to modify them to fit.

^Click^
    sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 09:18:24 am »
    Are there any problems with the wheels sitting flush with the fenders? I think that looks great, but honestly any look will do for me, I just want something with more spokes haha, and preferably a darker color but I could always plasti-dip. I think width-wise OEM is pretty ok with me as well!

For mudflaps, thanks for the help, will probably pick them up after I do the engine maintenance stuff!

So the belt you're talking about is the serpentine belt? Is that the same as the power steering/alternator belt? How much would this fix cost at a shop? I really don't know how to do any car work haha, no tools or anything or a garage. If I do it at a shop I'll probably do the sparks and brake pads at the same time too, maybe coincide it with changing the tires to summer/all season tires so everything's done at once. For tightening it I found a short paragraph on NASIOC along the lines of removing alternator cover, loosen this horizontal bolt, tighten vertical bolt to desired tightness (as tight as I can right?), tighten horizontal bolt back, replace alternator cover. Do I also need to do the A/C side? Seems like another 2 bolts to loosen/tighten, not too hard I don't think.

Thanks for all the help again!

Offline 10secdream

• Vendor
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
      • ReflectiveAutoDetailing
    • Ride: 2022 Toyota GR86, 2007 Lexus GX470
    « Reply #9 on: February 03, 2016, 09:26:26 am »
    Are there any problems with the wheels sitting flush with the fenders?

You might rub on the fenders depending on your tire size and offset.
    2003 Mazda Miata
    2015 WRX Build
    2004 Forester XT Build

“When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer.”

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Delay No More
    • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
    « Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 10:19:35 am »
    When tightening the belt, remember to loosen the lock bolt holding the tensioner first.
    uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
    « Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 10:52:11 am »
    So the belt you're talking about is the serpentine belt? Is that the same as the power steering/alternator belt? How much would this fix cost at a shop? I really don't know how to do any car work haha, no tools or anything or a garage. If I do it at a shop I'll probably do the sparks and brake pads at the same time too, maybe coincide it with changing the tires to summer/all season tires so everything's done at once. For tightening it I found a short paragraph on NASIOC along the lines of removing alternator cover, loosen this horizontal bolt, tighten vertical bolt to desired tightness (as tight as I can right?), tighten horizontal bolt back, replace alternator cover. Do I also need to do the A/C side? Seems like another 2 bolts to loosen/tighten, not too hard I don't think.

Nah, it's easy.  There's some talk here:
    http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/timing-belt-replacement-2-5t-106809.html

Installation is reverse of removal.  Wait for Crappy Tire to have a huge sale on tools and get the biggest one you can find.  Princess Auto on jack stands and a jack.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 11:08:21 am »
    Ah crap I need a jack + stands for the serpentine belt replacement/tightening? I'll most likely end up buying a set of tools from Canadian Tire just so I can have it for the future, and I can throw it under my bed or something at home, but don't think I'll buy a jack or stands until I move into a place with a garage, which probably isn't soon since I'm living in an apartment close to school. Thanks for the help!

You might rub on the fenders depending on your tire size and offset.

Sweet, thanks for the advice. I'll take a look around Kijiji and whatnot!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Delay No More
    « Reply #13 on: February 03, 2016, 11:16:37 am »
    No, you don't need to jack your car to replace or tighten the belt.  I think Claw's just giving friendly shopping advice. 

Bring it to Tims next week.  I or someone else can help you with it.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #14 on: February 03, 2016, 11:23:05 am »
    Oh sweet, thanks! I'll keep an eye out on deals, I see sales quite often for tools at Canadian Tire, will pick a set up asap! This is 70% off: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-maximum-impact-socket-and-tool-set-119-pc-0581228p.html#.VrJFzrIrLDc

Not sure if I can make it out next week, have three exams but will for sure try to come! Pretty excited to meet everyone :P

Also wanted to say a big thank you to everyone here, I literally know nothing about cars (and obviously what tools to use either lol), didn't even know I liked cars until the last year or so, and here I am asking about super simple things that you guys can probably do in 5 minutes that I have no idea how to begin :P

Offline SlowLGT

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Your typical Asian driver
    • Ride: W164 BT, 02 C5Z06 Wasp
    « Reply #15 on: February 03, 2016, 11:50:45 am »

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Jack of some trades, master of none
    • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
    « Reply #16 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:09 pm »
    Also wanted to say a big thank you to everyone here, I literally know nothing about cars (and obviously what tools to use either lol), didn't even know I liked cars until the last year or so, and here I am asking about super simple things that you guys can probably do in 5 minutes that I have no idea how to begin :P
    I appreciate you asking a lot of questions because I know about the same about cars as you haha. :)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
    • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Delay No More
    « Reply #17 on: February 03, 2016, 12:01:21 pm »
    Oh sweet, thanks! I'll keep an eye out on deals, I see sales quite often for tools at Canadian Tire, will pick a set up asap! This is 70% off: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-maximum-impact-socket-and-tool-set-119-pc-0581228p.html#.VrJFzrIrLDc

That's an impact set which, you can still use, but...  yeah.  They're oily and stuff. 

But if you want an impact set, I'm selling an impact gun over in the Everything Else for Sale ;)

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #18 on: February 03, 2016, 01:23:44 pm »
    Haha I don't even know the difference between sets! I'll wait for that killer $180 deal then, since I can always mooch off you guys at Tim's for now 8)

I also need a screwdriver set and a wrench set...I have two screwdrivers at home and one electronic adjustable wrench that couldn't even fix something small on my bicycle. Man those sets aren't cheap either, I think 7 wrenches as a set was $120 at Canadian Tire!

Hopefully that's all the tools I need in the near future, other than the jack and jack stand. Are you allowed to do car work on a public street/parking lot? Thinking of going over to the parking lot in Market Mall after hours and working there lol. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that after the sparks and belt are done I won't have to do much maintenance-wise other than regular oil changes and brake pads like once a year. Will probably fix the sweating sooner or later, and maybe the Killer B PU and baffle after everything else is done.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • This is why I can't own nice things..
    • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
    « Reply #19 on: February 03, 2016, 01:30:49 pm »
    No, you're not supposed to work on the car in the street or parking lots. You'd need to do it in your own driveway.
    If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
    I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
    But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
    So give me the vodka, and stfu.
    If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Stehle

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 13 Abarth, 07 FX4
    « Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 01:37:11 pm »
    Isn't there a garage you can rent for a couple hours with a bunch of tools available, etc?

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
    « Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 01:53:58 pm »
    Isn't there a garage you can rent for a couple hours with a bunch of tools available, etc?
    U-Wrench, I used it to replace the rad in the fozzy. I think it was something like $20 bucks an hour with the use of a hoist. I think some tools they charge a rental/usage fee on but I'm not certain as I just brought all my own.

Offline Polaris

• Beards Comin in Nice
    « Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 02:00:24 pm »
    Oh sweet, thanks for the link! It's close to the Tim's where you guys hang out at too (if I'm not mistaken). Might check them out before buying tools, but sooner or later I'll need to buy stuff anyways. Thanks again!

Offline Player One

• Beards Comin in Nice
    • Jack of some trades, master of none
    • Ride: 13 WRX Hatch
    « Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 02:14:51 pm »
    http://www.u-wrench.ca/rates.htm

Offline Dylan780

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Ride: 2008 Honda CR-V
    « Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 04:01:26 pm »
    Oh sweet, thanks for the link! It's close to the Tim's where you guys hang out at too (if I'm not mistaken). Might check them out before buying tools, but sooner or later I'll need to buy stuff anyways. Thanks again!

When I first started getting into working on my cars myself I made a list of tools and equipment I would need to do general maintenance on my cars (ratchet set, torque wrench, torx bits, creeper, jack/stands etc.) and I would buy something every payday or whenever something would go on sale. After about a year I had quite the selection of quality tools, and the good thing about doing it over time is you don't realize how much damn money you are spending haha.

Can Tire is your friend as I probably have $3000 in tools but probably only spent $750 on all them because of the crazy sales they are always having.